It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia School To Decide On Changing Name From Robert E. Lee To Loving Landmark Case

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Probably changing because like many of those monuments and schools dedicated to the loosing side of the American Civil War (participation trophy), you know the side that fired the first shots, the side that fought for states rights...the right to own people based on the color of their skin, who also fought against rights of other states who wanted to not recognize runaway slaves as still property prior to the war. Mainly built during the early parts of the 1900’s to rind blacks their place.

It’s like naming a place or building a monument in England after Guy Fawkes or Jimmy Savile.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm cool with it.

Washington-Loving sounds like a wonderful name.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Just like with Charlottesville, if the people that live in the area and attend the school want the name changed why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

It's their school. Their taxes pay for it. They can name it whatever they want.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Public schools are so under funded that teachers have to purchase their own supplies out of their own pockets while superintendents get 6-figure salaries while sitting on their asses.

And yet, some school board wants to spend thousands of dollars on sign changes, name changes.

They have money for that, but they probably don't have money for after-school programs, books, pencils, of lunch programs for poor kids.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Frank Bellavia, spokesperson for the Arlington School Board, said the proposal to name the school “Washington-Loving” was made by a 21-member committee consisting of community members, students, staff and faculty.

Seems like it was actually people directly involved with the school that made the decision.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

My point still stands.

They have money for that, what's their graduation rate?

Is there an after-school tutor program?

Music?

Supplies?

Are they the only school in the country with a great budget, small classes and a 100% grad rate?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

This is something someone ignorant of history would favor. Lee only fought for the South because he was loyal to Virginia and he never favored slavery. But whatever, I don't expect much from the people infecting society these days.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Can someone show me on the doll where the name of the school hurt them?

See that spot on the back, about midways down? Right there is where they hurt.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

This school is located in the third richest county in the nation. The city itself has a median household income of $84,000.

I'm sure the money it will cost to change the name won't affect any programs.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: imitator
a reply to: JinMI

and... Virginia will still celebrate Robert E. Lee’s Birthday on Lee-Jackson Day.

Not sure about that. I live and teach in the OP county. At least in this part of the state (which is basically an extension of downtown DC/Capitol Hill), things are getting more Scream-At-The-Sky Liberal by the day.

I don't know how you can stand it. I admire your courage.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

This school is located in the third richest county in the nation. The city itself has a median household income of $84,000.

I'm sure the money it will cost to change the name won't affect any programs.

Sure, they'll just raise property taxes in the area to cover the costs.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory
a reply to: paraphi

Probably changing because like many of those monuments and schools dedicated to the loosing side of the American Civil War (participation trophy), you know the side that fired the first shots, the side that fought for states rights...the right to own people based on the color of their skin, who also fought against rights of other states who wanted to not recognize runaway slaves as still property prior to the war. Mainly built during the early parts of the 1900’s to rind blacks their place.

It’s like naming a place or building a monument in England after Guy Fawkes or Jimmy Savile.

*losing

Whoever gave you the history on the Civil War screwed you and you should ask for a refund. I blame your ignorance on today's revised telling, which is a major reason people think it should be changed. I covered that in my first response in this thread.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

So a locality should not be allowed to govern as they wish?

Funny. Weren't Lee and the Confederacy fighting for their right to self-govern?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Frank Bellavia, spokesperson for the Arlington School Board, said the proposal to name the school “Washington-Loving” was made by a 21-member committee consisting of community members, students, staff and faculty.

Seems like it was actually people directly involved with the school that made the decision.

Wow, 21 members? Maybe they should let the school district vote. Besides, nobody loves Washington so Washington-Loving would be embarrassing.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yes, and I doubt they would have let a 21 member panel make a decision for everyone else.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I wish!

Maybe we could eliminate abortions that way.

But sure, they can do whatever they wish. Even if it is stupid, costly, and only done for "muh feels".

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Xcalibur254

My point still stands.

They have money for that, what's their graduation rate?

Is there an after-school tutor program?

Music?

Supplies?

Are they the only school in the country with a great budget, small classes and a 100% grad rate?

Why are you pretending to care about any of that?
I suspect you dont

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

You're butt-hurt because I brought up a valid point.

Do I care? Only so much as it is the subject for debate. What the #### do my "feels" have to do about it anyway?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It’s the same with statues: we should add new ones instead of tearing down old ones.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You're butt-hurt because I brought up a valid point.

Do I care? Only so much as it is the subject for debate. What the #### do my "feels" have to do about it anyway?

Not butt hurt at all.
I just don't think you are genuine.

Why spend money on this when there are not enough books?
That's your angle...

Apply that to the feds.

You feel the same way?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join