It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bone Tomahawk!!! - A Movie that shows what true oppression of women is!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Whenever I hear about the state of women in the US (and world for that matter) they make it seem like they have it as bad as the Native American women/am in the movie Bone Tomahawk. For those who haven't seen the movie, I highly suggest it though it is a bit graphic. It is an Adventure/Drama/Horror that takes place around the turn of the century around the border of New Mexico/Texas. It stars Kurt Russel, Partick Wilson, Matthew Fox, David Arquette and many more.

From what I remember the "bad guys" are a group of cannibalistic "troglodyte" (how it is described on IMDB) Native Americans who raid and kidnap people from the settlers town/party and they raise a posse to rescue the victims. The natives are incredibly skilled in warfare, almost supernaturally and they have a strange form of religion that seems much different than anything I've ever seen of the Natives - almost a mix of black magic, human sacrifice, cannibalism and Native mysticism. These "people" don't even speak. They have an odd way of screeching, an extremely loud call that is unique to each individual. I won't spoil any more.

The movie was released in 2015 so I'm a little foggy on the details of the rest. You will understand what I mean about what true oppression is after seeing this though it might not be apparent until after the first hour or more but it will be very shocking and apparent when you see it - though it isn't so graphic with them, it's more the blood/violence of the attacks.
edit on 11 21 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 21 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Great movie, probably one of the best of 2015. I don't really remember thinking about female issues. I believe I am going to watch it again just because you reminded me of it.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Great movie, probably one of the best of 2015. I don't really remember thinking about female issues. I believe I am going to watch it again just because you reminded me of it.

Same. LOVED the movie! I don't remember anything about female oppression.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Wasn't the protagonist in that move a woman in her mid 20's?
Going out of her way to avenge her father?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well the angle I'm speaking of is how the "natives" treat their women. I don't remember at all who was there to save who (or is it whom?) I do think one of the settlers wives or sisters or daughters was kidnapped as I think that gives more urgency to save her in this situation so she doesn't suffer the same fate - which is truly horrendous.

As for it being the best movie of 2015, IDK, I don't remember the others from that year, so it did stand out for sure.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Pssst!

Movies are make believe.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I never heard of "Bone Tomahawk" before I saw it in the discount bin at Walmart about a month ago. What I thought from the DVD case was that is was a more recent cowboy movie with Kurt Russel and Matthew Fox, probably worth buying. I like westerns, so I bought it. It was more than I bargained for, totally not what I expected.

Very cool independent film. It dragged a lot but was punctuated with some vile gore and one nice, but short, sex scene. Cool plot and premise, good acting, I recommend it.

The idea of how the primitive Native American characters treated their women and how graphic that depiction was is just as outrageous as the cannibal scenes IMO. This depiction is completely fictional with no solid basis in Native American prehistory that I'm aware of.

Oppression of women? Certainly, but totally unbelievable from the perspective of this primitive tribe's survival until long after European contact. It is absurd that such a primitive, violent and cannibalistic tribe could survive so long.

ETA: Another good independent cowboy flick is "Dead Man" starring Johnny Depp and some interesting cameo appearances from Robert Mitchum, Iggy Pop, Billy Bob Thornton, Gibby Haynes and John Hurt .
edit on 21-11-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Well the angle I'm speaking of is how the "natives" treat their women. I don't remember at all who was there to save who (or is it whom?) I do think one of the settlers wives or sisters or daughters was kidnapped as I think that gives more urgency to save her in this situation so she doesn't suffer the same fate - which is truly horrendous.

As for it being the best movie of 2015, IDK, I don't remember the others from that year, so it did stand out for sure.

The level of oppression of women would depend on the era and the native American tribe as I recall the history books take on it. I recall that captured white women would become slaves and be treated very badly by the women in the tribe, depending on which tribe captured them. The Apache, if I recall my history well, would never take white women prisoners because their women would not allow it.

Taking into account this movie is Hollywood, I am sure the violence has been turned up a few notches to sell tickets.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Pretty good movie.some of its over the top,language for example,but darn entertaining.Cannibilism was not widespread among Indians,but did occur with some tribes.And the abilities aren`t over done,Apaches were as badass as any thing these guys do.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Great film. Matthew Fox kind of steels the film with the Brooder character. Hard to believe he has not done another film since. Its not a anti male, anti american film. Just good old fashioned heros journey story telling the way it used to be.

You guys might want to check out Ravenous if you liked this. Its another Horror/western type that is kind of forgotten.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Real female oppression is alive and well in some parts of Africa and the Middle East . Young girls still suffer through genital mutilation to this very day, can’t speak openly in the presence of men and can’t go to school. It’s tragic.

This is just a movie and if you think it’s overly graphic the reality of getting your labia cut off is much more graphic to me .
edit on 21-11-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Unfortunately, the reality you see in that movie of native women being abused, well some things don't change enough.

Want proof ? How many young native women have gone missing or got killed so far in Winnipeg this year ? You can blame it on drugs and alchohol all you want but someone put them into that state of mind first.

On topic, I have never seen the movie and at first I thought you were describing an older movie, certainly not one that came out in 2015. I've never heard of it but i will check it out sometime.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Pssst!

Movies are make believe.

Yeah, that. ^

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I know it was fictional and I never meant to say that it was real. I was just using it as an example of how horrible real oppression can be and I'm sure the thought/creation came from some where or some stories, lore, myth, etc.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Then I'm sure you could find those historical anecdotes. Meanwhile I'll being trying to verify the George A. Romero documentary about cannibalism.

*twirls finger next to temple*

edit on 21-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm not sure how many have watched this b/c no one has mentioned anything close to what the movie shows with the pregnant woman - but I've had people tell me "the movie is fictional" about problems in the current Native tribes/peoples, not all tribes were oppressive, etc. Wow. Way to stear far away from anything but talk about the movie. I wonder how many replied that never saw it (and didn't say they didn't)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

No doubt. I was going to do a thread in such vein about The Handmaids Tale, but just never had time.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
How can it be "true oppression" when it is fictional? There are plenty of real examples. Why not use one?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor
How can it be "true oppression" when it is fictional? There are plenty of real examples. Why not use one?

If someone started to complain about their back hurting and jumped to the conclusion that they had scoliosis (hypochondria/ac) maybe I'd tell them to take a look at the disfigured hermit/cripple form "The 300", or Quasimoto or Dr Frankenstein's lab assistant (Igor) if they wanted to see someone with "real scoliosis" or back problems. Now I know these are movies, but it is used as an illustration to prove what they have is either not bad or imaginary.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you buckaroo, those people aren't real either and aren't good examples of anything other than a serotype.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join