It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is going back to the moon — if it can figure out how to get there

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: MrPopularity

oh, perfectly normal... I wouldn't expect them to save the data that got them to the moon, the most historic feat in human history

Maybe they have some backups on punch cards and reel to reel tape.

If I were the guy that had to convert that to Excel, I'd probably "lose" the data too.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

yeah unless you were getting paid to work at NASA I'm sure you would put massive effort into that and do whatever it took to proudly serve NASA as a million other potential candidates

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
back then they were expecting the landings to be the beginning of many things... bases on the moon, permanent living quarters etc.

So why back the stuff up when they were expecting many many more trips while the techs were still working there, then over time things got lost.

Not saying this is what happened, but its very possible.

edit on 18-11-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Screw the Moon.

Mars or bust!

Build very large manned orbiting science stations and hotels. Mine the asteroid belt. Build a solar collectors in closer orbit of the Sun. Build a space elevator. Have an operational Moon base. Extend the Internet out with orbiting communications satellites around every planet (and most moons). Oh, and go to Mars.

Put simply, be a spacefaring species while we can and as soon as we can.

Just exactly this... I couldn't agree more.

We should start with a space elevator, or a SEaCCIMT.

Then go from there.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

because another species from or on the planet put the breaks on it.. whatever it is flying around in the orbs is in control here and if they say enough is enough there's nothing our government can do

they even be part of our government or something, some hidden power structure

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
they did it real quick not to long ago I'm sure they have some telemetry data right?

They did not do it 'real quick' in the 1960's. Kennedy's speech committing them to the moon was in 1962, and NASA were already working on how to get there, they just lacked the budget and political backing. So it took 7 years, the deaths of 3 people (not counting the ones who died in away from the pad in jet fighters and so on) to get there and a bucket load of money at a time of national prosperity to get there.

They have lots of telemetry data, just not from Apollo 11 because tape is expensive and it got re-used. So what? Telemetry from a rocket they would not be using and on a different mission profile would do what exactly? They have plenty of other data from plenty of other manned and unmanned rockets that have been to the moon, it's a well worn path.

The problem they will have is getting there before China.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Who is going to pay for it? Mexico?

The Apollo program cost about $150 billion (inflation-adjusted).

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
So, if they "didn't" go to the moon the first time around, imagine the press conference when the next astronauts "come back" from the moon and have to pretend that they were not the first.......mmmmm? Gutting.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
But they made gold tinfoil just to wrap the thing with!

Gold tinfoil?

Are you referring to the gold wrappings around the lunar module? If so, it's NOT tinfoil.

It was an aluminized Mylar film from DuPont, called Kapton H-film.

Rather than having heavy heat shields, which would have made the LM way too heavy, they used Kapton H-film. It worked BEAUTIFULLY, and saved a LOT of weight. Some parts of the LM had 15-20 layers of it (like near the RCS thrusters) . It was new at the time, and ended up being one of Grumman's key weight saving features on the LM.

Heat conduction works very differently in a vacuum, because there is no atmosphere to conduct heat. I find it fascinating. The LM was very lightly built. I remember Jim McDivitt saying they were afraid that if they were to drop a screwdriver, or a hammer, it would punch right through the skin of the ascent stage. He was only half joking.

If memory serves, the ascent stage used "sandwich" panels of aluminum, Kapton, Inconel mesh, and nickle foil.

The Apollo program is one of my major obsessions, so when I get started, it just streams out, and I have a hard time stopping. I have a fairly impressive library of books about the space program. At least until the Shuttle, which was a cluster-f*cked death trap from day one.

As far as the telemetry tapes, it doesn't matter. They probably reused them and recorded over them.

That information would be LESS than useless now. How could it be even REMOTELY relevant now?

The really big problem, and the biggest loss from the Apollo program is the F1 engine. That single piece of technology was the ace in the hole for Apollo.

Damn. I could talk for hours about this.

Sorry for the ramble

edit on 19-11-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

No no no no, you don’t get to just stop now damnit.

I love me some space talk!

Please tell more about the F1 engine!

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Screw the Moon.

Mars or bust!

I mostly agree with you, the entire "been there, one that" thing.

However, it would at least shut up SOME of the moon-hoax idiots. Maybe even some of those flat-earth turds.

To me, it would be AWESOME. Astronauts land withing visual range of one of the descent stages, broadcasting it in real-time?

But that's just me, and I am a fanatic concerning Apollo.

Obsessed. And quite possibly, dangerous...

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   

LIES!

That snip is GGOOLLDD!!

You trying to give me heart murmurs or something?

I'll have my eye on YOU!!

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

I've never done a thread, haha, maybe I'll do one on it. It's actually a great story, but, like I said, I'm just a TEEEENY bit obsessed, so it's hard for me to objectively guess what the interest would be.

Hell, I have to watch myself in family or public gatherings, because I'm prone to discussing the idiosyncrasies of orbital rendezvous. It's not as easy as you would think.

See? Once I start....

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

LIES!

That snip is GGOOLLDD!!

You trying to give me heart murmurs or something?

I'll have my eye on YOU!!

It's pretty dangerous for me to even start talking about Apollo.

Obsession is the TAME description, haha.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

I've never done a thread, haha, maybe I'll do one on it. It's actually a great story, but, like I said, I'm just a TEEEENY bit obsessed, so it's hard for me to objectively guess what the interest would be.

Hell, I have to watch myself in family or public gatherings, because I'm prone to discussing the idiosyncrasies of orbital rendezvous. It's not as easy as you would think.

See? Once I start....

Oh dude I’m right there with ya. I am obsessed with space travel and the technology behind it. I must admit I don’t know very much about the F1 though.

I find myself often playing Kerbal trying to emulate past endeavors. Mostly with little success but I never stop trying!

So if you feel up to it please do make a thread about! Those threads are by far my favorite.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

But they made gold tinfoil just to wrap the thing with!

Aluminium foil with a layer of Mylar over it, makes it look 'gold' .

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think we did go to the moon but not as many times as they say we did.

The fact that they have a hard time going back now with all these advanced technology i am starting to doubt that men made it to the moon in the 60s.

Not mention space had radiation. I highly doubt the 60s spacesuits supposedly had any protection from radiation.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtlasHawk
a reply to: rickymouse

I think we did go to the moon but not as many times as they say we did.

The fact that they have a hard time going back now with all these advanced technology i am starting to doubt that men made it to the moon in the 60s.

Not mention space had radiation. I highly doubt the 60s spacesuits supposedly had any protection from radiation.

WE have a sort of field that extends outside of the area of the moon, with the right equipment we could venture there, but I doubt if we could actually go to mars unless we generated this field. It only effects life, this field is there on the space station and would have been there during a moon mission unless a bad flare tore our magnetic field. I think they might be able to generate this frequency for a trip to Mars, but I am skeptical about that. We live in this energy field all our lives, back to the time our ancestors and all animal life originated. Pretty hard to say we can adjust without it when it effects every cell in our body.

It is possible that we went to the moon back then, but I can't guarantee that we did. After all, the deceivers have been running our country and society for way longer than sixty years.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If you need more convincing go to this site:

centerforaninformedamerica.com...

For comments about the first US space walk possibly being faked, see this module:

centerforaninformedamerica.com...

Gemini astronaut Ed White allegedly became the first American to perform a space-walk, despite the fact that NASA did not yet appear to have a suit that would allow for such a maneuver. Nevertheless, on June 3, 1965, White allegedly performed a successful 22-minute EVA NASA did not attempt the maneuver again for an entire year, until June 3, 1966, despite the fact that four Gemini capsules were launched during the intervening year and those four spent a combined total of twenty-three days in low-Earth orbit. Yet none of those four crews, it would appear, had time to practice space-walking, even though practicing and perfecting EVAs was one of the primary goals of the Gemini program

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Been some work on using redesigned F! in heavy lift rockets

F1 was custom built by hand by heavy skilled technicians. That art has been lost , Only like 56 engines were ever built

Last couple of years Rocketdyne tested a redesigned F1 . Were using modern manufacturing technique, which did not exist in 1960's

Did a few tweaks to simplify engine and eliminate 90 % of parts - left off turbine exhaust gas recycle where fuel rich
exhaust gases from turbo pumps were fed back into engine

Redesigned F1 just exhausts them out - cost little on efficiency but cuts way down on complexity and costs

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join