It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school bans expensive jacket so poor kids don't feel bad

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree about lines, but lets be serious here, not one of those kids needs a thousand quid coat. I seriously doubt they are all that good anyway. The coat is just bragging rights...makes me think of this.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: JAGStorm

Dress codes aren't an uncommon thing. That's the only way this makes any sense.

It appears this school does have a dress code of some sorts but kids are getting around it with other things like Coats, and backpacks and such. Crazy.

Two years ago, it introduced a compulsory school bag to reduce costs, after parents complained that their children were demanding branded rucksacks.

Thing is , the dress code is enforced in most schools in the UK because it helps to identify who should and should be in the school !
all the kids in uniform, they are meant to be there, kids not in uniform probably arent at that school but should be in school somewhere else. Or people who are in the school for nefarious reasons !

Also a dress code prevents bullying , and materialism
when kids have nice trainers, they will often gang up on and pick on other kids who dont have those new nikes
or the new canadian goose jacket!
So it prevents kids from picking on kids who dont have money to buy nice new clothes etc!

but to be fair , why should kids be allowed to wear what they want at school if it only serves to divide us
I mean its causing them to separate between haves and have nots !
Us vs them !

School should be about learning , not about fashion or individuality ! thats for after school !

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Picking and choosing individual items of clothing is just stupid.

Implement a school uniform policy and be done with it.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Again, like so many other things in life, it isn't about need.

Who are you or I or anyone else to decide what other people need? It's their money, and they get to decide what to do with it. Sure, it's a dumb decision to blow that kind of money on a coat just for the sake of showing off that you can, but at what point do you stop telling people what to do with their money because "no one needs ..."?

I always thought that the point of living in a free society is that you get to make your own choices, even if they are stupid ones.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

goes back into the economy anyway!

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Also a dress code prevents bullying , and materialism

This is a good article that tells why it doesn't
Dress Codes Disguise The Real Bullying Problems
www.huffingtonpost.ca...

If you have read some of the previous posts on here, many that wore uniforms have said with or without uniforms kids know exactly who is poor and who isn't so they find other ways. Clothing is a crutch.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yes, massively strict uniform for my son at his high school, business suits and overcoats all bought from the school, everyone knew who was poor though, my lad was one of the poor ones. His mates dads were all airline pilots and surgeons/architects etc, I'm just a scummy plasterer lol, he won his place in the selective school aged 11, the only reason he wasn't bullied was because he is big, tough, and played for the school rugby team.
He stopped bullying whenever he saw it though, the school principle told me he was grateful for how he looked after the other 'poor' kids.

EDIT
I accepted the role of being the poorer parent financially lol, Airline pilot dads haha!
My lad just cut his own path being skint in comparison.
edit on 19-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I think it's a good thing that school age kids at least get the lesson not to flaunt their good fortune amongst their peers.

And no one is saying they can't buy the coat, just that they can't wear it at school
edit on 10pMon, 19 Nov 2018 11:09:10 -060020182018-11-19T11:09:10-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

So having a formal dress code serves to increase bullying ?

I think bullying happens regardless of dress code or not!

but having a dress code at school , gives children a community or team , shows them unity ,
shows they are ultimately the same!
despite small differences .

Identifies who is and isnt a member of that school

a dress code, shows children they have to prepare for formal events which are to be considered work related
or have some form of hierarchy !

instead of dressing as you please , wearing whatever clothes you like
clothing maybe a crutch , but in general the dress code at schools is essential for kids to develop together as one !
as one school unified in learning.

While it is certainly true that many bullies act like chickens that peck the one in the flock with a feather that sticks up, most don't need the feather to help them find a victim. There is no shortage of "reasons" that victims are selected to be bullied. They could be small or large; they could have high marks or low marks; they could be poor or wealthy; they could be gay or straight; they could be religious or secular; they could be sexually active or virgins. The list goes on, but in short, virtually any characteristic or criterion will suffice if a bully is intent on finding a victim.

There are far more benefits for a dress code than there are negatives ,so what do you suggest ? dont have dress code now because one bully in school can use it as a vehicle to take out aggression on another child !

remember education is about getting as many children ready to go into work and support the capitalist system and generate as much tax revenue as possible !
One or two bullies isnt enough to take away a system that helps get as many as possible past the post !

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Even if I could have afforded a nice coat for school when I was wee, my mum would never have let me wear it to school as id often come home covered in mud or have a hole in my knees from playing football on the concrete !

Nae chance im being allowed to wear my best gear to school !

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Same

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Just saw a posting for one $1200 nawww I don't think so but I bet they sell the crap out of them in the hood and fake ones everywhere for half price.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

didnt they get into hot bother for having real animal fur on the hoods ?

that was a thing last year wasnt it , same with Ugg boots

If I was going to buy a cold weather jacket that cost that much Id rather buy one that scientists wear in Antarctica

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I had # clothes as a kid, hand-me-downs from my older brothers, I was the tallest so my Mam would turn trousers up and the turn them down for me, you could always see the line. I learnt how to fight by age 10 or 11 because of bullying.
School years were #, girls were the most cruel because they couldn't be hit.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I had # clothes as a kid, hand-me-downs from my older brothers, I was the tallest so my Mam would turn trousers up and the turn them down for me, you could always see the line. I learnt how to fight by age 10 or 11 because of bullying.
School years were #, girls were the most cruel because they couldn't be hit.

I was pretty lucky. The non uniform stuff of choice was stay pressed and bomber jackets..Then parkas and (sort of weirdly) those NBC jackets. I grew up in an army town so there was always plenty of kit flying around and our school at one stage was full of people in NBC gear
Not the masks or trousers, just the jackets. Sort of dull green with charcoal liners and a big, pouch pocket at the front.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

hahah AYe mate I know , my cousins are 1 and 2 years older than me , so I got their clothes
or even my neighbours who had an older boy!

nothing worse than feeling you are in second hand clothes for some reason , WHy is it that you feel that way as a kid
who shouldnt care about what clothes you wear , why is the ego , drilled into us and why is that we are feeling shame for wearing clothes which belonged to someone else ?

Shouldnt we just have been happy to have clothes!

I hate materialism

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here's a suggestion

some enterprising clothier in the West could revive the ~ less-than-stylish Mao Jacket which was ubiquitious in China during the early Cultural-Revolution -1969-1979

see: en.wikipedia.org...

"Mao and other leaders continued to wear the garment as a symbol of proletarian unity and as an Eastern counterpart to the business suit."

Politically-Correct uniformity from the nanny state !

edit on th30154272935220552018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I still get hand-me-downs now but off my son these days haha!
He'll buy expensive trainers and wear them for a few weeks before giving them to me, same with shirts and jeans, I haven't bought clothes in ages, just some work boots a few weeks ago.
I love that my son and I are same size feet and similar build, he's my clothes shop now lol

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I'll stick to my LL Bean cloths great warranty for the price.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I had to google it, they sell some cool stuff, and free shipping to the UK on orders over £75.
While my son is buying clothes all the time and giving me his 'old' stuff though I won't be ordering anytime soon lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join