It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school bans expensive jacket so poor kids don't feel bad

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: sapien82
a reply to: SprocketUK
I still get hand-me-downs now but off my son these days haha!
He'll buy expensive trainers and wear them for a few weeks before giving them to me, same with shirts and jeans, I haven't bought clothes in ages, just some work boots a few weeks ago.
I love that my son and I are same size feet and similar build, he's my clothes shop now lol

Lucky sod.
My son nicks my shoes. He's ruined my nice Chelsea boots. Caught him in my brogues the other day.
Luckily, he is a noodle armed beanpole so my jackets and shirts are safe. Though my daughter steals my best tee shirts for slumming round the house in.
edit on 50pTue, 20 Nov 2018 11:41:50 -060020182018-11-20T11:41:50-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Haha I know, it's a proper bonus, son buys nice clothes as well, got a lovely pair of Adidas off him last week.
I remember spending big time on clothes when I was young, bought 7 pairs of the same trousers once because I had the money and I liked the cut so much...tight around the arse but loose and slightly flaired at the bottom, black cotton.
I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat, was a boutique shop though, I'll never find them again.

edit on 20-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I feel the same about the shirts from white stuff. I had some gorgeous jumpers from there too, and my Mrs wore them while bleaching the sink

edit on 59pTue, 20 Nov 2018 16:26:59 -060020182018-11-20T16:26:59-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Lol, we all like decent rags to wear...prob wouldn't buy a thousand pound jacket tho even if I won the lottery.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree about lines, but lets be serious here, not one of those kids needs a thousand quid coat. I seriously doubt they are all that good anyway. The coat is just bragging rights.

I doubt it's needed in the UK, but yeah, Canada Goose coats are worth the price. They are the warmest coat for serious cold (like -30 F with wind cold) you can find. They are expensive because they are made in Canada rather than some Asian sweatshop and they are made from quality materials. They also have real fur on their parka and real down, which is absolutely warmer than any synthetic.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As an aside, if this became a thing here in the US, it would just be further validation for why my kids are homeschooled. My kids' clothes, their meals, their after school activities, etc are choices my wife and I make following discussions with our children. They are NOBODY else's business, period. Any place that tells me what I can and can't spend on my kid's daily clothing will see both of my middle fingers and my kids' backs as I walk them away from the facility and don't return to their building again.

They're my kids, my responsibility, my priority, not the state's kids, not the community's responsibility,and as is obvious with ridiculous ass decisions like the OP's article, not any public institution's priority.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Lol, we all like decent rags to wear...prob wouldn't buy a thousand pound jacket tho even if I won the lottery.

I've spent lots of money on tailored suits etc n the past. I doubt very much that something made in a factory is worth a grand though.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

If I see someone crossing Antarctica on foot or climbing Everest in one of these coats, then yeah, I will accept their quality. Until then, they are just a label.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

If I see someone crossing Antarctica on foot or climbing Everest in one of these coats, then yeah, I will accept their quality. Until then, they are just a label.

en.wikipedia.org...(clothing)

Canada Goose products are also worn by researchers and workers in remote, cold-weather regions. Canada Goose (and Carhartt) supply parkas for participants in the United States Antarctic Program (USAP).

You were saying?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
"Columbia extreme weather wear" is better than C-goose in my opinion.
Canadian made, however contains NO ANIMAL products.
Columbia extreme weather wear

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ToneDeaf
"Columbia extreme weather wear" is better than C-goose in my opinion.
Canadian made, however contains NO ANIMAL products.
Columbia extreme weather wear

There is no synthetic material which can match down's weight to warmth ratio. Fur is also far warmer and doesn't lose it's insulating properties when wet. Same for wool. Synthetics, however, cannot say the same.
www.chicagotribune.com...

A 2004 study took traditional caribou-skin jackets with huge fur-lined hoods worn by Inuit people and tested them in a wind tunnel vs. contemporary jackets with and without fur on the hood. The fur-lining made a huge difference. "The superior effectiveness of this piece of clothing has been known by Inuit hunters and seamstresses, who have thrived for thousands of years by creating polar ruff designs that provide protection against the cold, windy arctic climates," the paper from researchers at the universities of Michigan, Washington and Manitoba concluded.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think it's a good thing that school age kids at least get the lesson not to flaunt their good fortune amongst their peers.

And no one is saying they can't buy the coat, just that they can't wear it at school

That's not the lesson they are getting though.

You can't wear the coat because it's not fair isn't the same as a lesson in learning to be humble.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

en.wikipedia.org...(clothing)

Canada Goose products are also worn by researchers and workers in remote, cold-weather regions. Canada Goose (and Carhartt) supply parkas for participants in the United States Antarctic Program (USAP).

You were saying?

Haha Yes! ok, I accept their quality

Being the UK I expect everybody who owns one will be praying for our yearly half inch of snow that lasts three days so they can feel validated

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I see it as teaching kids that a bit of modesty is in order.

You never know, it might save their life one day, you go down too the wrong bit of a big city in a thousand quid coat and someone with a knife is going to want it.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

There is no synthetic material which can match down's weight to warmth ratio.

I prefer down, but there are some people allergic and milkweed fluff from the milkweed plant is a close 2nd.
I'm surprised we don't use it more.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1

Sounds like a street gang, congratulations

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join