It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Behind the Dramatic Rise in Violent Crime in the UK?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

If murderers had guns they would kill more people is an opinion not a fact. I admit it is possible, but I believe it more likely that a murderer will find a way to kill whomever he wants to regardless of what weapons are available. The increase in murders in London proves that. Less guns than New York but for the first quarter of 2018 the numbers were nearly equal as shown in the chart posted earlier.

I don't want or insist that you or anyone else have US style gun laws. I never did.

I see news articles like the one I linked with charts showing the numbers, and I hear your mayor talking about a dramatic increase in murder and I comment on it. If you think that makes me an arrogant American then I have to assume you are an ignorant Brit for ignoring the facts.

There, we are both using insults now. Does that make it better? You so-called civilized brits seem to resort to insults and name calling pretty easily.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
It would be carnage if Brits had easy access to handguns mate, honestly. I know it is only opinion, but we fight like # on weekend nights as it is, guns in the mix would be a disaster, then our cops would be armed as well and nobody wants that.
Britain is and always has been a violent place, it is why we are polite because being impolite is basically asking a man for a fight.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Some folk in the UK would shoot you if you looked at them a bit funny. God forbid should you look at their bird.

Can look at my mrs no problem. However, if you take the last packet of shortbread you wouldn't even make it out of the shop........so yes, guns are a terrible idea!

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Depends on what you consider to be an empire.

"They" certainly don't ""overtly"" control over one-quarter of the world's population these days, but at its height, the British empire was the largest in history for over a century, consisting of more than 33,700,000 km2, and almost a quarter of the Earth's total land area.

Consider that the Queen still owns, for all intents and purpose, 6.6 billion acres, and is by far and away the world's largest landowner on the planet.

The British empire never really went away, it simply swapped occupation, soldiers and trade routes for independence, bank accounts and power.

Real power simple resides in the shadows rather than bask in the light these days whilst hiding behind the sham that is the notion of democratic rule.
edit on 16-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Star just for the pmsl thing
You are bang on it, folk at the top are the same people.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

All I can do is sympathize. The Chicago version is no better. If you look at someone you get, "What are you looking at?" Which is the same as, "I'm gonna kick your ass." If you purposefully avoid looking at someone you get, "What? You don't want to look at me? You don't like me?" Which is the same as, "I'm gonna kick your ass." If someone wants a fight they will get one and there really isn't much you can do about it except be somewhere else.

I understand your perspective on the presence of guns in that volatile atmosphere. But I believe, based on my own experience, that when you possess lethal ability you tend to have some respect for it and its use. Its only the real scum that dispense that lethal force with total disregard for who may suffer the consequences. That is why I believe that a murderer will find a way regardless of what weapons are available. In my opinion it is only a small percentage of people who are so far gone they don't care who they kill that are the real problem. Being willing to throw a fist at the drop of a hat, any hat, is one thing. Being willing to take a life just as easily is entirely different. At least that is how I see it. Although, I can fully appreciate the desire to not test that belief in real life.

Thank you for helping me understand the situation there better. I never see things like that regarding the UK. I see it every day about Chicago and the whole US to a point. But I never really saw that sort of thing in regards to the UK with the exception of the soccer thugs- which I never fully understood. Now, after your description of Britain, that makes more sense as well.
edit on 16-11-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

The best one over here, and just about everywhere else, is the fallacy of home ownership.

Try not paying building insurance, council tax or whatever other tax is applicable and see how long it takes them to force you to sell to recover what "They" deem is owed to them.

People may own there own property and land, but they don't have their own country.

Turns out an Englishman's home is only his own castle if he is the king.

Like i said same crap, slightly different wrapping paper.

edit on 17-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Don't seem to recall said book, the Bible, saying much at all, if anything really about crack coc aine.

Fact is the practice of organized religion could be likened to the same phycological addiction as smoking crack coc aine.

Also, i have to say there are plenty of people who have beaten their addictions without the need or intervention of religion, im one of them.

Religion has nothing to do with the problems associated with crime and drug use within our inner cities, more to do with class division and poverty.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

My home is my castle, I've never had a TV license and kick the 'enforcement agents' off my property about twice a year threatening reasonable force. I missed my council tax due to illness and not working this year so it has gone to bailiffs, I kick them off my property as well. I refuse to make a payment arrangement with a private company but I am prepared to pay the council in installments. Because I'm not refusing to pay the actual council the court has no criminal case to make.

They cannot force entry and I can legally kick them off my property...it's all just a game to me.
I fight 'authority' at every opportunity, always have.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Do you own the property or rent because the difference is self-evident?

I'm with you on the fighting authority part but trust me when i say ownership of your own home somewhat compounds the problem of gooberment owed debt.

Like i said don't pay council tax or building insurance and you would be forced to sell if unwilling/unable to make the necessary tax contributions.

That's just how the system operates, you don't own anything if you cannot pay for the privilege.

Sad but true.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Own, and they can't do # all about it while I'm offering to pay installments direct to the council. Refusal to pay is a different matter but refusal to pay a 3rd party bailiff is reasonable in the eyes of the law. They know it, I know it, the courts know it.
...building insurance only applies if you have a mortgage on a property because the lender will insist on it. No mortgage it's up to you if you insure it or not.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The rise in violent crimes is due to the underfunding of the police. It's not rocket science. And putting guns instead of knives in people hands is not going to solve the problem. Jesus that is such a moronic idea.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Your missing the point if you pay for something it should be yours. Do you own your own home?

Mortgages or ownership don't circumvent council tax.

And if you agree to any repayment plan regarding any arrears then you are essentially working within the system.

As to bailiffs, bastards that they are, you lot have a hell of a lot more of a rough deal with those swine than we do in our neck of the woods. They don't really have any teeth up here, all they can do is bark. LoL

Different story all the same if you actually have stuff they can take like cars or other properties.

Guess the Poll tax was good for at least one thing after all.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson
Our police (Devon & Cornwall constabulary) are massively under resourced but we haven't seen a rise in violent crime, it's as violent as it always has been, no worse, no better.
The stabby thing is London, and that is a cultural problem in the black teen youth community.
Take London out of the equation and the rest of Britain is safe enough.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

As I said, I own.
...and bailiffs can't do # all down here either, they cannot force entry and they have to leave my property if I warn them I will use reasonable force. I love it when they visit because I kick them out every time. It's a laugh, and at some point they will give up, hand the debt back to the council, and the council will agree repayment terms with me, because they have to lol.

You paint a bleak picture mate, it is just a game, and I actually enjoy playing it.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

It goes deeper than just lack of Police, the real issue lies with poverty and class division.

Austerity is to blame and by design no less.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

You enjoy dealing with bailiffs?

That's a first. LoL

Personally, i have more important things to consider than playing around with that scum.

I don't paint the bleak picture, the writing is on the wall, simply call it how i see it.

Bleak dont even begin to cover the crap that transpiring in the UK.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I do genuinely enjoy dealing with bailiffs lol, I know the law so I take the piss and kick them out of my garden. TV licensing are even more fun. I almost hope that one of them will take me up on my offer of reasonable force just for the laugh of a legally sanctioned fight.
They never do though, they leave lamely saying crap like they'll call cops, I tell them to do it, unless they are high court enforcement then there is # all they can do.
EDIT
I have better things to do as well but if they're knocking on my door I may as well have a laugh getting rid of them the leech bastards.
edit on 17-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I like nosing up TV licensing bawbags, now that is fun.

I just answer the door and say nobody is in.

Or do it in the buff with a hard-on and a smile, that gets rid of them rather sharpish. LoL

What can i say they woke me up in the morning.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Haha!
My son lives next door in a little rented house, he had his first TV license guys turn up just while he was being intimate with his bird, he answered the door exactly as you describe, and he's a 6'2" prop forward for our town who can deadlift 250kgs...he was so excited telling me how he ran the guy out of his garden haha.
It is a right of passage lol...TV license, give me a #ing break, who even pays it these days, they can't gain entry and the 'detector' equipment is total bull#.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join