It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Forest Fires, are They Caused by Climate Change or is Something Else Occurring.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Part of the cause of global warming is our shift from coal and wood to clean gas so the suns rays can now penetrate easier than 100 years ago.

Another theory

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth

originally posted by: Xcathdra
So whats the cause of the fire?

Billy Joel.

Apparently, he denies it stridently.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

This is not being caused by mankind. We are being hit not by a two whooper, but a three whooper. Our Sun's magnetic field has been weakening, and so has the Earth's magnetic field. Add to that the new anomalous source near our Solar System that is sending more cosmic rays than ever have been observed so far. At least this mysterious source close to our Solar System was first detected in 2008, and since then it has continued to increase the amount of cosmic rays it keeps sending towards our Solar system.

In fact, in the March 2018 article I gave in the op it states and I quote:

The problem is, as the authors note in their new paper, the shield is weakening: “Over the last decade, the solar wind has exhibited low densities and magnetic field strengths, representing anomalous states that have never been observed during the Space Age. As a result of this remarkably weak solar activity, we have also observed the highest fluxes of cosmic rays.

Back in 2014, Schwadron et al used a leading model of solar activity to predict how bad cosmic rays would become during the next Solar Minimum, now expected in 2019-2020. “Our previous work suggested a ∼ 20% increase of dose rates from one solar minimum to the next,” says Schwadron. “In fact, we now see that actual dose rates observed by CRaTER in the last 4 years exceed the predictions by ∼ 10%, showing that the radiation environment is worsening even more rapidly than we expected.

spaceweatherarchive.com...

edit on 12-11-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

At least this mysterious source close to our Solar System was first detected in 2008, and since then it has continued to increase the amount of cosmic rays it keeps sending towards our Solar system.

No. The increase in cosmic radiation is not from that source. It is from the whole sky because the heliosphere is contracting due to the approaching solar minimum. Quite normal.

edit on 11/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That "anomalous/mysterious source" has been sending enough cosmic rays with enough energy to reach Earth's surface since at least 2008, and the amount of cosmic rays it keeps sending our way keeps increasing. It's no coincidence that our Sun's magnetic field has been weakening as well as Earth's. This mysterious source close to our Solar System could be the reason why our Sun has been acting very strangely for over a decade. Since Earth's magnetic field is also affected by our Sun's magnetic field, and by the Earth's core, and since there is evidence that Earth's core has been changing dramatically, it seems that whatever this "mysterious source of cosmic rays" is, it is the cause to these changes we keep seeing occurring on Earth.

It is also worth mentioning that Earth's magnetic field began to weaken around 1840s-1860s. Since then it has been weakening more and more, and in 2014 the weakening intensified 10 times more.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

That "anomalous/mysterious source" has been sending enough cosmic rays with enough energy to reach Earth's surface since at least 2008, and the amount of cosmic rays it keeps sending our way keeps increasing.
Source?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Here we go with Phage once again claiming she knows better than NASA scientists themselves, or other astronomers.

Steve Cole
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0918
[email protected]

Nov. 19, 2008

RELEASE : 08-301

Mysterious Source of High-Energy Cosmic Radiation Discovered

WASHINGTON -- Scientists announced Wednesday the discovery of a previously unidentified nearby source of high-energy cosmic rays. The finding was made with a NASA-funded balloon-borne instrument high over Antarctica.

Researchers from the Advanced Thin Ionization Calorimeter (ATIC) collaboration, led by scientists at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, published the results in the Nov. 20 issue of the journal Nature. The new results show an unexpected surplus of cosmic ray electrons at very high energy -- 300-800 billion electron volts -- that must come from a previously unidentified source or from the annihilation of very exotic theoretical particles used to explain dark matter.

"This electron excess cannot be explained by the standard model of cosmic ray origin," said John P. Wefel, ATIC project principal investigator and a professor at Louisiana State. "There must be another source relatively near us that is producing these additional particles."

According to the research, this source would need to be within about 3,000 light years of the sun. It could be an exotic object such as a pulsar, mini-quasar, supernova remnant or an intermediate mass black hole.

www.nasa.gov...

Since then the amount of cosmic rays being sent our way by this mysterious source keeps increasing.

The following source is from 2016.

NASA-Funded Sounding Rocket Solves One Cosmic Mystery, Reveals Another
The two known sources of X-ray emission are the solar wind, the sea of solar material that fills the solar system, and the Local Hot Bubble, a theorized area of hot interstellar material that surrounds our solar system.

“We show that the X-ray contribution from the solar wind charge exchange is about forty percent in the galactic plane, and even less elsewhere,” said Massimiliano Galeazzi, an astrophysicist at the University of Miami and an author on the study. “So the rest of the X-rays must come from the Local Hot Bubble, proving that it exists.”

However, DXL also measured some high-energy X-rays that couldnt possibly come from the solar wind or the Local Hot Bubble.

At higher energies, these sources contribute less than a quarter of the X-ray emission,” said Youaraj Uprety, lead author on the study and an astrophysicist at University of Miami at the time the research was conducted. “So theres an unknown source of X-rays in this energy range.

In the decades since we first discovered the X-ray emission that permeates space, three main theories have been bandied about to explain its origins. First, and quickly ruled out, was the idea that these X-rays are a kind of background noise, coming from the distant reaches of the universe. Our galaxy has lots of neutral gas that would absorb X-rays coming from distant sources – meaning that these X-rays must originate somewhere near our solar system.

So what could produce this kind of X-ray so close to our solar system? Scientists theorized that there was a huge bubble of hot ionized gas enveloping our solar system, with electrons energetic enough that they could release X-rays like this. They called this structure the Local Hot Bubble.

www.astrowatch.net...

What the above article is stating is that the two main known sources of cosmic x-rays are only producing less than 25% of the energy at these levels, and the "mysterious source" is contributing the rest. Which means 75%+ of the cosmic rays reaching Earth comes from this mysterious source close to our Solar System, which keeps increasing the amount of cosmic rays in the form of x-rays reaching our Solar System and Earth.

edit on 12-11-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: adding context from source article.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Why, all of that would mean that this is NOT Trump's fault.

Sereously though, do people see all of this triple whopper as an ELE?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

which keeps increasing the amount of cosmic rays in the form of x-rays reaching our Solar System and Earth.

You are confused.

X-rays are not the same thing as cosmic rays. X-rays are electromagnetic radiation which travels at the speed of light. Cosmic rays are high energy particles which do not. Cosmic rays are affected by magnetic fields (if the particles are charged) and electromagnetic radiation is not.

But what makes you think the source of the high energy cosmic rays is the same as the source of the x-rays?

Since then the amount of cosmic rays being sent our way by this mysterious source keeps increasing.
You have not provided a source which says that.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
Anyway, just to add, according to NASA one of the fires in California was started by a camp fire.

www.nasa.gov...

No, it was named Camp Fire after the area read that again.

Butte County's deadly Camp Fire was named after Camp Creek Road, the location where the fire started.

www.sfgate.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I suppose I am experiencing the Mandela Effect because I remember fires in CA every year for many decades. Mother Nature and people being the spark.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

which keeps increasing the amount of cosmic rays in the form of x-rays reaching our Solar System and Earth.

You are confused.

Totally agree.

X-rays are not the same thing as cosmic rays. X-rays are electromagnetic radiation which travels at the speed of light. Cosmic rays are high energy particles which do not. Cosmic rays are affected by magnetic fields (if the particles are charge) and electromagnetic radiation is not.

But what makes you think the source of the high energy cosmic rays is the same as the source of the x-rays?

Prolly the inter webs.

You should totally derail this thread with some handholding, teach ‘em (apparently you’ve been labeled with the “she” pronoun [sick burn]) about the Carbon Cycle. Bet that has more to do with any and all forest fires.

edit on 12-11-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

They need to enlist Native Americans to do preventative controlled burns, like they used to for thousands of years, before we wiped them out.

But instead we'll just blame it on "Climate Change" (all of our fellow citizens for living in modernity), and throw conniption fits and bark at the moon.

Our worst fire last year was caused by a controlled burn as many of them are.
I was reading an article yesterday in Lake Tahoe they were pretty angry at the president's words because they tried to do control burns but the.Gov environmental paperwork was so long and the restrictions were to not burn but on days with certain wind speed and temperatures so they never got to do the planned burns.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I am not confused Phage.

As i wrote in another thread.

Actually here.

Jerzy Michał Pawlak, PhD in High Energy Physics (experimental)
Written 28 Apr 2015
Gamma ray burst is a source of a particular type of cosmic rays.

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles arriving at Earth from sources that lie outside it. What exactly is "high energy" in this definition is not well defined. Practically any stable particle can be a cosmic ray. Thus you may have photons (gamma rays), electrons, protons, nuclei, neutrinos...

www.quora.com...

The energy we are receiving from this mysterious source are high energetic x-rays.

Cosmic Rays, especially X-Rays, The Solar System is Receiving Have been Increasing

edit on 12-11-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: correct excerpt.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I suppose I am experiencing the Mandela Effect because I remember fires in CA every year for many decades. Mother Nature and people being the spark.

The areas of draught are burning in Oregon and Wa and Ca. We have not had any rain and we are No coast, also we have more wind the jet stream is not where it used to always be it was almost always the same spot everyday year after year, these are changes I see.
Google
According to Cal Fire, California has seen almost double the area burned across its service territory than at the same time last year. More than 1.3 million acres have burned throughout the state this year and more than 8.3 million acres across the United States as a whole.5 days ago

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Except that "anthropogenic climate change" has been blamed for worsening the latest forest fires in California which are the worst in 80 years.

Fire chief: climate change helped make California wildfires more devastating

Brown swings back at Trump: Climate change is propelling California’s fires, governor says

Even the news in Spanish are spouting the same claim.

edit on 12-11-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

California Forest Fires, are They Caused by Climate Change

Only if that change happened long ago.

If it is, has climate change made the fires larger or more frequent, then history will have to be studied. There may not be enough data yet to determine it.
edit on 11/12/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Giant sequoias are the largesttrees on Earth. They can grow for more than 3,000 years. But without fire, they cannot reproduce.

From what I understand, the mighty Redwoods and Sequoias cannot reproduce unless a huge forest fire melts the resin off their seeds. Without fire, no seeds can take root.

This reveals that forest fires are natural and NORMAL in this particular environment.

The media rarely ever admits this, and wants to blame someone.

These fires in Cali are good because they show us the conditions are still normal there.

When the fires stop - get worried - cuz that means those trees won't be able to reproduce anymore.

See how neat that works? The forest fires are good for nature!

The Truth is usually the exact opposite of what the TV says....

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Totally agree.

Oh boy... I already showed how Phage was leaving out factual information.

Here is another piece of information.

Where Are Cosmic Rays in the Energy Spectrum?
Where do cosmic rays rays fall in the electromagnetic spectrum amidst the x-rays and microwaves?

Some people use "cosmic rays" to include high energy photons (light), and they basically mean x-rays and gamma-rays (light that is high enough energy that you measure individual photons, rather than taking pictures the way you do with visible, ultraviolet, microwave, etc.). I usually think of cosmic rays (which is my field of astrophysics) as only being the particles (pieces of atoms) which are moving at near the speed of light.

If you were to plot "cosmic rays" on an electromagnetic spectrum, it would basically encompass x-rays and everything higher in energy (higher in frequency or shorter in wavelength). I personally would leave it out, since I don't think it's a correct usage of "cosmic rays" (but I don't make the rules).

Dr. Eric Christian
(May 2000)

helios.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Some astronomers don't like to include x-rays as part of cosmic rays, while others do include x-rays as part of the spectrum of cosmic rays. Phage is just playing semantics once again.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

As i wrote in another thread.
Quora? Ok, sure.

Cosmic rays, though, usually mean high-energy particles with mass traveling through space. So, that definition excludes X-rays and gamma rays. Cosmic rays are mostly high-energy protons (90%) and alpha particles (9%), but include other high-energy particles, such as electrons and heavier atomic nuclei.
www.quora.com...

The energy we are receiving from this mysterious source are high energetic x-rays.
The 2008 discovery? No. Not X-rays. Those cosmic rays were detected by a balloon. There's a reason they use rockets and satellites to detect x-rays you know. Getting out of the atmosphere is a big plus.

Oh. And the energy levels. That's another thing. The cosmic rays were in the 300-800 GeV range, right? X-rays have energy levels of 100eV to 100keV. Not even close to the particle radiation which was detected. And quite different. Because it was particle radiation, not x-rays.

No.

The x-rays are different from the cosmic ray source and come from the whole sky, not a point source.That's why they thought the source might be a bubble surrounding the solar system.

So what could produce this kind of X-ray so close to our solar system? Scientists theorized that there was a huge bubble of hot ionized gas enveloping our solar system, with electrons energetic enough that they could release X-rays like this.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join