It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Police respond to reports of an active shooter at North Carolina High School

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
I wouldn't blame it on the violent movies. I was an 80's kid and we never chopped limbs off with machetes or anything like that...

That makes one of us.

#MasonInTraining

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

So bullying is new?

I've gotten wedgies, and I've turned out kind of okay.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
So bullying is new?

Nothing makes a kid want to shoot up his school more than a purple nurple.

How did we all get crap in school and not shoot up our classmates? I had access to guns, I didn't load them up and flat blast everyone. I also wasn't on psychotropic drugs at 12 too so there's that.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sounds more like Marolyn Manson during his interview on Bowling for Columbine.
It is also a good point. One that should be explored.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Bullying has existed since forever and we didn't have these shootings until recently. It isn't solely bullying.

Youre right, but in the past we didnt have the internet and the world wasnt globalized like it is now.

Now people can hide behind a screen, and call people names. In the old days, they had to think about what they said, cause they might get punch in the face if they said to the wrong person.

In the old days you would be safe from ridicule in youre own home, now you just has to turn the TV on, and you can easily find someone who will ridicule something about the way you live.

We are still infants, when it comes to using all this new technology, but we will figure it out someday, like we allways do.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: vinifalou
We are watching the result of decades of programming by the entertainment industry, along with Hollywood and the CIA, whom made a system where people feel miserable for who they are or what they look like.

That's why people become violent.

It really does seem that you care more about your right to bear arms than the youth of your nation but I know it isn't as black and white as all that.

Of course that is a silly statement though

For example, would you say that people that allow their kids to play sports care more about entertainment than they child’s safety? After all, thousand of kids a year are severely hurt playing sports

The truth is we have to decide how much freedom we will sacrifice for safety

We have to look at how bad the problem really is, what are the causes of it, which rights or freedoms are we willing to give up to impact that, how plausible are those solutions, how effective would they be, and what are the costs of that solution

Needless to say it’s very complicated, so to claim people who have different opinions on these things don’t care about victims is absurd

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

So bullying is new?

Nothing makes a kid want to shoot up his school more than a purple nurple.

How did we all get crap in school and not shoot up our classmates? I had access to guns, I didn't load them up and flat blast everyone. I also wasn't on psychotropic drugs at 12 too so there's that.

This kid is hyper.

He needs a prescription to Adderall (salt-amphetamines).

Shoot, he's kind of acting like a zombie, let's give him some Xanax too.

Kid reports feeling depressed and having thoughts of suicide.... Double the doses.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Not true at all, they wrote horrible, semi-anonymous op-eds about each other before the internet era or stood up in a public space and made thinly veiled allegations about their adversary. Asshole-ish behavior predates mass shootings, it's solely not bullying, something else is contributing to it.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Officials believe malfunctioning water heater led to calls of active shooter at Topsail High

So, perhaps not an "Active Shooter," just a rickety old water heater?

Looks like the schools are still on lock down though, and are still sending kids home.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Glad this turned out to be a false alarm.

Why so many shootings?
Augustus touched on it...it's becoming trendy.

Any total loser in life with mental illness...and ready to punch their own ticket (and there are more than ever now)...has discovered they can get "famous" by taking out a bunch of people before offing themselves.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

So bullying is new?

I didnt say that.

But we are much more exposed to bullys than we used to be. Everybody has an oppionen about how others should live their lives, and now we have the technology to share that oppionen.

It is not new, but a lot worse than it used to be.
edit on 9 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

That argument is pretty much dead in the water. People carried guns to school with no issues at one point, and between the 1800's and 1990's, there were less shootings at schools than over the past 20 years. The problem is mental health and coddling. Parents either aren't disciplinary to their kids, or they're so disciplinary that they abuse their kids. It seems like there's more now that don't walk the fine line between the two. It also doesn't help that the left side of America has brainwashed women to think that they don't need no stinkin man in their life and they can raise their kids on their own. Kids need a nuclear family. The mother for nurturing (for the most part), and the father for discipline (for the most part). Without that balance, it doesn't always end well.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
All the crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth does no one any good unless and until we get the toxins out of our bodies... And that means getting the toxins out of our air, soil, water, food, etc. From lead to fluoride to psychotropic drugs and synthetic hormones and other endocrine-disruptors. All of which affects our mental and emotional health and stability, as well as our physical health.

Garbage in, garbage out.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk

originally posted by: joemoe
Allow trained teachers to CCW if they choose to, and having armed guards at school wouldn't hurt!

Or lock the doors and nobody comes in or out without proper authority. I have this at my work place. Nobody gets in without I.D. If they don't have it, they stand in the rain, simple as that.

We have key cards that have to be scanned at every door except offices and bathrooms. The main reason behind that is because our call service reps aren't exactly middle and upper class because we like to give jobs like that to people who can't find a job and mostly they're girls who date criminals or something relative to such. We've had pissed of boyfriends and husbands walk through the door and assault, or attempt to assault, their wives/girlfriends so we had to take the necessary steps. So far it's worked.

link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: vinifalou
We are watching the result of decades of programming by the entertainment industry, along with Hollywood and the CIA, whom made a system where people feel miserable for who they are or what they look like.

That's why people become violent.

That's a cop out answer to be honest. People don't need a reason, as a species we are violent and warlike and you blaming Media and TPTB is part of the reason these individuals problems aren't being addressed.

And to say guns aren't the problem is to not understand the problem in tbe first place, guns obviously are part of the problem else we wouldn't keep seeing mass shootings. The crux of the problem is that people with cerrain mental health issues shouldn't be allowed near guns, I don't see how this can be rctified but I don't want to keep seeing headlines about school shootings or any other mass shooting.

It really does seem that you care more about your right to bear arms than the youth of your nation but I know it isn't as black and white as all that.
I can totally agree with you that guns are part of the problem with school shootings. Just as Trucks are part of the problem with nut jobs who drive them into crowds, and knives are part of the problem with nut jobs slashing up innocents in a street rage.

But if you look really closely, you notice that in each situation, people died, a person did bad things to cause that, and they used a tool. Why is it that our first instinct is to attack the gun, when that is the tool, but to attack the person using the tool in all other scenarios?

link   

Not true at all, they wrote horrible, semi-anonymous op-eds about each other before the internet era or stood up in a public space and made thinly veiled allegations about their adversary. Asshole-ish behavior predates mass shootings, it's solely not bullying, something else is contributing to it.

I agree there is a lot of different factors to this. But bullying is one of them.

200 years ago, you could live in a small town with maybe 50 people, and rarely talk to people from elsewhere. So you had to be nice to the shoemaker, if you wanted new shoes.

Today we have a lot more dense population, and the internet.
So who cares if you tell the guy in the shoestore that you think he is an idiot, when you can just take you car and drive somewhere else, or order it on the internet.

So yes, IT IS more easy to be an asshole today, than it was in the past. And YES, it is a lot harder to hide from it than in the past.
edit on 9 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

link   

Kid reports feeling depressed and having thoughts of suicide.... Double the doses.

You want zombies? Becasue that's how you get zombies.

edit on 9-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Please, God (TM)... Anything but my guns!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

So bullying is new?

I didnt say that.

But we are much more exposed to bullys than we used to be. Everybody has an oppionen about how others should live their lives, and know we have the technology to share that oppionen.

Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one! We should teach our kids to not care so much what other people say about them! Walk away or shut off those social media if they need to!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

So bullying is new?

I didnt say that.

But we are much more exposed to bullys than we used to be. Everybody has an oppionen about how others should live their lives, and know we have the technology to share that oppionen.

Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one! We should teach our kids to not care so much what other people say about them! Walk away or shut off those social media if they need to!

Couldnt agree more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join