It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Police respond to reports of an active shooter at North Carolina High School

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Is it Dungeons & Dragons that you're playing on the 1985 NES or listening to Judas Priest backerds?

Yes.

I knew it, Michael Langdon.

You better keep an eye on that one, I hear he can burn your soul.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Grambler
Well he shouldn’t have been rolling those barrels at you

That's what I said!!!!!!

No one got it, not her, not the zoo workers and definitely not the police. But I'll tell you who got it, the monkey! Right up side the head, now they're down another one.

Seriously, does anyone take responsibility for their actions or does it always have to be someone else's fault that you're a major malfunction in life?

Personal responsibility

That would literally be the crux of my entire platform if I ran for office

In today’s world, that would probably be a huge loser

But never fear!

When I lose my election, I know it’s violent video games fault because I am perfect it could t be a problem with me!

If you ran on personal responsibility, you would probably win all the states Trump won. I'd vote for you.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Is that allowed terminology in political campaigns?
I thought congress passed a law against such propaganda?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Right, because bullying didn't exit until movies and TV.

What about personal responsibility? Where does that factor in? Or is everyone a mush-brained moron who cannot control themselves because of Hollywood?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I wouldn't blame it on the violent movies. I was an 80's kid and we never chopped limbs off with machetes or anything like that...

That makes one of us.

#MasonInTraining

Damn. Great choice of words, I'm becoming my parents and there's nothing Progressive can do about it except provide auto insurance for me.

Not limbs, arms. But that probably still just makes one of us.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

So bullying is new?

I've gotten wedgies, and I've turned out kind of okay.

Nothing makes a kid want to shoot up his school more than a purple nurple.

How did we all get crap in school and not shoot up our classmates? I had access to guns, I didn't load them up and flat blast everyone. I also wasn't on psychotropic drugs at 12 too so there's that.

This kid is hyper.

He needs a prescription to Adderall (salt-amphetamines).

Shoot, he's kind of acting like a zombie, let's give him some Xanax too.

Kid reports feeling depressed and having thoughts of suicide.... Double the doses.

Exactly. Nothing worked better than a belt across your ass when you messed up or wouldn't settle down.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

So bullying is new?

I've gotten wedgies, and I've turned out kind of okay.

I didnt say that.

But we are much more exposed to bullys than we used to be. Everybody has an oppionen about how others should live their lives, and now we have the technology to share that oppionen.

It is not new, but a lot worse than it used to be.

It's up to the parents to talk to the kids about how to handle being bullied. I'm not about parents defending their kids when a teacher disciplines them, but if my kid gets in trouble for defending himself against a bully then I'll take a trip to my son's school immediately because it would be for good reason. If I find out he's the bully, I'll make a trip to the school immediately and put a belt to his ass right there in front of everyone.

In high school (mid to late 1990's), one kid ran away from home. When his mom found him, she bought a pair of those white girly Keds and made him wear them to school for a couple weeks. He never ran away again and we never let him live it down. He wasn't a nerd or quiet guy either, he was one of the top players on the baseball team.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Right, because bullying didn't exit until movies and TV.

Of course it did, people are jerks to one another ever since the dinosaurs were wiped out.

The industry just made the segregation more evident. If you fit the standard you're good to go, if you don't, you're a loser and needs to be put asides.

Personal responsibility is in the preconditioning state. If you have a precondition to a violent behavior, and - in simple words, you get triggered, that's different from someone who gets triggered but do not have a precondition.

Of course Hollywood polarization won't affect you or me, we do not have a precondition to a violent behavior.

I'm not blaming TV for these shootings. I'm just saying the system (including the entertainment industry) are helping to spread depression, mental issues and violent behaviors, which leads to most of the shootings we are seeing.

But yea let's blame it on the guns. It's easier than look for the root of the problem.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
But yea let's blame it on the guns. It's easier than look for the root of the problem.

I don't blame it on guns or some nebulous entertainment industry boogeyman, I blame it on the people who did it.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Sure, they are the ones to blame.

But were they born with this behavior? Did they developed it with the time? If so, what helped? Is this something from past lives?

See, it's time to address the giant elephant in the room and take a psychological look at the subject, because that's what it is. A long-time behavioral problem.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

Let the Teachers Carry if they choose to and qualify to CCW!

I'm not against that either. I just wonder how long it would be before one of them jumped in to start shooting. When all the church shootings started to grow, my Southern Baptist church said awe hell naw and they have an armed member that sits in the foyer every Sunday now. I don't know how well it would it would work in deterring a shooter there, but there's only two of them I trust to take a threat out. My dad and his friend, who is a former Game Warden. He gave me a lot of good government issued ammo for my .357, some high grain armor piercing bullets.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
But were they born with this behavior? Did they developed it with the time? If so, what helped?

I'm not a mental health expert so I cannot answer those questions but I know it is disingenuous to blame it on films/TV while exonerating other influences.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

originally posted by: djz3ro
a reply to: szino9

Somehow this has to stop, this is getting beyond ridiculous now.

So many young, bright people gone before they've even had a chance to leave their mark on the world.

At what point do you say "enough is enough" and everybody in America, and I do mean Everybody comes together to end the senseless slaughter of innocents?

I agree this sucks and needs to stop. What is your suggestion to make it end?
originally...

Gov't was not the educator....they took it from churches....

So home schooling and to let the kids meet......the mall!

wouldn't it be nice to bring back the culture we all grew up with. Either stuff like this didn't happen as often, or we just missed it due to the lack of internet. But somehow, I remember personal responsibility being a larger factor back then.

Social media and the mainstream media sensationalizing things like this has been a huge factor, and pharmaceutical drugs on top of that, mixed with emotional brats that have to have it their way or no way at all. There used to be a gay dude that worked here and one evening he got into an argument with a couple of girls in the call center. He told them he'd scratch them deep and give them the diseases he had and it wouldn't bother him a bit because he's already gonna die anyways.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: face23785
Because nobody with an agenda will read the truth you present, I will add relevant snippet for the record.

I have good news: The DOE’s estimate appears to be wildly exaggerated. NPR committed an act of journalism in the first degree and actually contacted each of the schools that reported a shooting to the DOE. It “found that more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened.”

So why were the numbers so wrong? Human error. It turns out that when you ask representatives of 96,000 different schools to fill out forms, some small percentage of them will make a mistake.

The genesis of the mistake lies in the department’s Civil Rights Data Collection effort, a massive survey that requires the nation’s schools to answer questions on a range of issues. For the most recent edition of the survey, the department added a seemingly simple question: “Has there been at least one incident at your school that involved a shooting (regardless of whether anyone was hurt)?” Nearly 240 schools — 0.2 percent of all schools surveyed — said yes.

The NPR report is almost comical:

Most of the school leaders NPR reached had little idea of how shootings got recorded for their schools.

For example, the CRDC reports 26 shootings within the Ventura Unified School District in Southern California.

“I think someone pushed the wrong button,” said Jeff Davis, an assistant superintendent there. The outgoing superintendent, Joe Richards, “has been here for almost 30 years and he doesn’t remember any shooting,” Davis added. “We are in this weird vortex of what’s on this screen and what reality is.”

The truth will hopefully set the 🐔 littles free. Until the next one where they completely ignore and forget their claims.s we're already debunked.

Unfortunately this discussion is rarely about truth. We'll never get anywhere on this issue while the people who are most educated on the subject are ignored because they're "gun nuts" by low-information activists who just want to push a political agenda instead of solve anything.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

No one seems to be addressing this, firearms are just the vehicle, not the root cause.

It seems like more and more drug companies are getting busted for hijacked prices, too. It's all about the money.

What we need are rehab centers on steroids for people with addictions, and it wouldn't hurt to keep people with bad health issues closely monitored on a weekly basis, or every other day, to make sure they're staying on their diet. We've made it without drugs for hundreds of years. I smoked from 14 to 34 and I decided to quit. I didn't need medications for that. I just did it, and I kept a pack with 3 cigarettes and a lighter in my possession for a couple of months because as long as I knew I could have if I wanted it, it would be right there. Placebo and all that stuff.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Exactly. Pretty much every other country has access to the same movies/TV/games that we have in the US. Many of them are less strict on regulating them as well. Yet none of them have the same issue with gun violence. So what makes the US different than all of these other countries?

Obviously the go to answer is the number of guns in the US. But that's a cop out. It goes much deeper than that. The way I see it, it comes down to the whole American mentality. The combination of hypercapitalist/"Greed is Good" philosophy that took over in the 80s mixed with this belief in a Horatio Alger-esque destiny is awaiting every citizen. We're conditioned from a very early age to believe that the needs, wants, and desires of the individual are more important than the whole.

So is it any surprise when damaged individuals believe that their pain or ideology supersedes the lives of others?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

So many young, bright people gone before they've even had a chance to leave their mark on the world.

At what point do you say "enough is enough" and everybody in America, and I do mean Everybody comes together to end the senseless slaughter of innocents?

We all get an implant that can put us to sleep if we get unruly.

The government has a remote to turn us of in case of emergency, we can trust them.

I say we set up a laser initiated metal detection perimeter about 100 yards around the school, with a camera system, and when it goes off, there will be someone close to stop and frisk.

Im voting for force fields and plasma lasers.

There's no such thing as force fields, silly.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

We all get an implant that can put us to sleep if we get unruly.

The government has a remote to turn us of in case of emergency, we can trust them.

I say we set up a laser initiated metal detection perimeter about 100 yards around the school, with a camera system, and when it goes off, there will be someone close to stop and frisk.

Im voting for force fields and plasma lasers.

There's no such thing as force fields, silly.

Yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Is it Dungeons & Dragons that you're playing on the 1985 NES or listening to Judas Priest backerds?

Yes.

I knew it, Michael Langdon.

You better keep an eye on that one, I hear he can burn your soul.

He'll make it like you never had one. I'll have to keep my distance since I'm not a witch or warlock.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Exactly. Pretty much every other country has access to the same movies/TV/games that we have in the US. Many of them are less strict on regulating them as well. Yet none of them have the same issue with gun violence. So what makes the US different than all of these other countries?

Obviously the go to answer is the number of guns in the US. But that's a cop out. It goes much deeper than that. The way I see it, it comes down to the whole American mentality. The combination of hypercapitalist/"Greed is Good" philosophy that took over in the 80s mixed with this belief in a Horatio Alger-esque destiny is awaiting every citizen. We're conditioned from a very early age to believe that the needs, wants, and desires of the individual are more important than the whole.

So is it any surprise when damaged individuals believe that their pain or ideology supersedes the lives of others?

They do have access, but one thing I learned living in the UK is that violence isn't glorified there the way it is here. I can't say the same about other developed countries, not having visited them. But I agree it's very much a culture problem moreso than a gun problem. If the availability of guns was the primary factor, we'd be the #1 gun violence country on Earth. We're not, and we're not even close.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join