It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Yawning Divide That Explains American Politics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: ketsuko
Huh ... and some of us still prefer Republican control with our education.

I think a better thing to look at would be married v. unmarried. Generally speaking, married women with families, educated or not, tend to prefer Republican control.

The other thing to consider is that the education establishment has become overall hostile to white men, too. Since the '50s more women have gotten degrees than men in the universities, so that chart is a bit misleading. The education establish overall favors women despite constant whining that women are always being left behind.

Yeah, I think the divide is a bit more nuanced.

I'd say blue collar white men are tired of being sh*t on by PC culture of the left which is what is driving them right. The left all but wrote off blue collar white men and they found a home in the GOP under Trump.

It is no surprise that educated white women still lean left... most women are emotional. Being a leftist means you are an emotional thinker. Logic and facts don't matter even if you are "educated".

Still lean left? What do you mean here?

If you look at the first chart in the article it shows that educated white women did not use to lean left. If you look back to the mid 90s, white women voted right with their husbands. Both white women and white men were at +16 to +19 on the Republican side.

Only in the last 20 years have white women broken with that tradition and went left.

This is a new development, as the article also describes.

And I don't think it will go backwards, so white women will go more and more left with each election. Ketsuko says that she's a white woman that votes Republican, and I'm sure there are still many, many more that still do.

But that is changing and those women are becoming a smaller and smaller minority.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

I think a lot of it has to do with the right wing being the more emotional party of the two. White men aren’t leaving the left because of anyone actually persecuting them, they are leaving because they perceive that people are persecuting them.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this false perception is part of Republican propaganda. We have a whole side of the political spectrum that bases all their decisions on fear. Fear of immigrants, fear of women, fear of people of color. Fear of Democrats. If none of those apply at the moment, then insert your fear here.

It’s really interesting when you get into the neurological aspects that propagated fear produces in people. It really is an addictive drug the same as a lot of drugs of abuse. Which is why it’s used by Republicans to try to convince people to be Republican.

I think it’s that more educated people don’t let fear and it’s associated emotions color their view of the world. When you deal in facts, the Republican appeal to emotion falls flat.

edit on 2-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

...right wing being the more emotional party of the two...

Pure comedy.

ETA:

We have a whole side of the political spectrum that bases all their decisions on fear. Fear of immigrants, fear of women, fear of people of color. Fear of Democrats.

No comment on the left's fear of white men, fear that under very rock is a white supremacist, racist, misogynist, transphobe, fear of Republicans, conservatives, Christians, etc ???

Like I said, pure comedy....

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

I think a better thing to look at would be married v. unmarried. Generally speaking, married women with families, educated or not, tend to prefer Republican control.

The other thing to consider is that the education establishment has become overall hostile to white men, too. Since the '50s more women have gotten degrees than men in the universities, so that chart is a bit misleading. The education establish overall favors women despite constant whining that women are always being left behind.

I'd say blue collar white men are tired of being sh*t on by PC culture of the left which is what is driving them right. The left all but wrote off blue collar white men and they found a home in the GOP under Trump.

It is no surprise that educated white women still lean left... most women are emotional. Being a leftist means you are an emotional thinker. Logic and facts don't matter even if you are "educated".

If you look at the first chart in the article it shows that educated white women did not use to lean left. If you look back to the mid 90s, white women voted right with their husbands. Both white women and white men were at +16 to +19 on the Republican side.

Only in the last 20 years have white women broken with that tradition and went left.

And I don't think it will go backwards, so white women will go more and more left with each election. Ketsuko says that she's a white woman that votes Republican, and I'm sure there are still many, many more that still do.

But that is changing and those women are becoming a smaller and smaller minority.

I was basically saying that in spite of their education they still lean left. They are emotionally invested in certain leftist issues even though the issues may not be logical or supported by anything factual. Think women's pay gap, systematic racism, and all the other main line issues Democrats push.

link   
a reply to: underwerks

Well, there is a split in the white men as well, as the article explains.

Educated white men are split more than they were before. Educated white men USED to vote mostly Republican but now it shows that they are split, some still vote red and some have gone over to the blue.

The uneducated white men aren't leaving the left at all. They were never on the left. Back in the 90s they were leaning predominantly right, but now they are so far right it is not even a question of how they will vote. Their votes are unreachable to the left.

link   
I think this is a perfect example of what happens when you have over the top liberal educators. The classroom is a place to disperse their political agenda rather than teach the subject of the class. Students who want to pass most likely find it necessary to agree with the professor. After four years of brainwashing this is the result.

One of my best friends, whom I have known longer than anyone but family, raised his daughter to be independent and think for herself. She was exactly that - until she went to college. She came home and told her father that he was an embarrassment to the family, a threat to society, and she hoped he would just do the world a favor and die. I have spoken with this girl many times and she has had way too much kool aid. And it hit her hard. If you have the nerve to challenge one of her sjw memes she will immediately scream "willfully ignorant" at you, then run away saying there is no reason to continue talking because you are not smart enough to understand her. She is the poster child for the whining, crying, safe space having, liberal baby. Exactly the result the college was looking for I am sure.

link   

It shows me that as more and more women are exposed to leftist indoctrination aboard college campuses they become more leftist.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: underwerks

...right wing being the more emotional party of the two...

Pure comedy.

Pure truth.

Show me one Republican talking point that isn’t based on fear of something. Step back and objectively look at what they’re saying and what they’re pushing for.

An appeal to emotion is all the right wing really has. Which is why they accuse the left of being the emotional ones.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So it seems African-American women top the list as the U.S.A.'s most educated now. It will be interesting to see the gender and race voting trends in the upcoming elections.

www.alternet.org...

mic.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I was basically saying that in spite of their education they still lean left. They are emotionally invested in certain leftist issues even though the issues may not be logical or supported by anything factual. Think women's pay gap, systematic racism, and all the other main line issues Democrats push.

Ahh I see what you meant, thanks man.

Doesn't everything you just said go against logic though?

Would not intelligence and education mean the opposite?

Who is more susceptible to emotional appeal and propaganda, an intelligent and knowledgeable person in a professional position or a blue collar worker with no education?

Even this conservative, FOX affiliate article states that. It is not DESPITE (as you say) their education that they are leaning left, it is BECAUSE of it. As women get more educated they lean more left.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Educated white men are split more than they were before. Educated white men USED to vote mostly Republican but now it shows that they are split, some still vote red and some have gone over to the blue.

The uneducated white men aren't leaving the left at all. They were never on the left. Back in the 90s they were leaning predominantly right, but now they are so far right it is not even a question of how they will vote. Their votes are unreachable to the left.

Blue collar white men used to support Democrats because of their union ties. The problem now is that Democrats have completely abandoned that platform in favor of policies and other victim groups that are diametrically opposed

This was a huge strategic blunder and why Trump won the Presidency...

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It shows me that as more and more women are exposed to leftist indoctrination aboard college campuses they become more leftist.

Very interesting opinion.

That is not in the article though. Do you have any proof of this or should I just take that as an opinion?

Are you agreeing and saying it will get only worse? If colleges are ALL left, it means there will be no educated Republicans left in this country in a decade or two.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Who is more susceptible to emotional appeal and propaganda, an intelligent and knowledgeable person in a professional position or a blue collar worker with no education?

Even this conservative, FOX affiliate article states that. It is not DESPITE (as you say) their education that they are leaning left, it is BECAUSE of it. As women get more educated they lean more left.

Education does not mean one thinks logically. This is often a problem on the left. They think degrees convey common sense and logic. They don't. It is this kind of hubris and arrogance that turns away a lot of blue collar folks.

Education is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing you don't put a tomato in a fruit salad.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You guys really are the master of projection.

All the left has done over the past two years, along with 90% of the MSM, is fear monger about the President 99.9% of the time.

I'm fascinated by how you aren't even a little privately embarrassed by the things you assert.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I think the right wing voters in question have always been pretty much unreachable, it’s just that now they finally have a party to belong to that mirrors how extreme they are.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Education does not mean one thinks logically. This is often a problem on the left. They think degrees convey common sense and logic. They don't. It is this kind of hubris and arrogance that turns away a lot of blue collar folks.

Education is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing you don't put a tomato in a fruit salad.

I was not discussing education being logical, I don't know how you got that.

I was only stating that what you said was illogical and then explained why.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

You guys really are the master of projection.

All the left has done over the past two years, along with 90% of the MSM, is fear monger about the President 99.9% of the time.

I'm fascinated by how you aren't even a little privately embarrassed by the things you assert.

That’s YOUR opinion which is filtered through the political lens your media of choice gives you. In this case, anything non-MSM.

Of course it isn’t going to be how things actually are.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Given that the uneducated have a harder life than the softer life of educated, it should come as no surprise that softer preference of being spoon fed versus learning by experience in the school of hard knocks.

Loads of success stories of college (and even high school) dropouts that made their fortunes by not laying back and being spoon fed a steady job, but striving for it with occasional setbacks.

So I guess it shows the difference in accepting a good job or struggling to make one as the path to a good life. At least in men.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This article and thread shows exactly the current state ATS is at. The length of the thread and the work put in would guarantee more visibility and participation back in the day.

These days, if I posted something short, with a gif or two, and a hateful statement toward some group or minority and this would have been front page by now.

This is a great example why this website is dying. Is there any reason to keep dedicating time and effort to threads that USED to be good but now just fall on deaf ears?

Our extremism is really showing. There are no two sides to this website, there is only one side.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join