It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Yawning Divide That Explains American Politics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Mahogany

You started a thread the other day wanting a dialogue. I attempted to engage with you, and you disappeared after the first post, Spock.

But here in this thread, I am the walking antithesis of that graph as are my mother and aunt.

Of course, I only have my brother-in-law on that graph who fits the male profile, but I don't know how he actually votes. I only suspect. I guess my cousin in on their too, but he's extremely successful for not having his education.

Then there would be my father's side of the family ... I have an uncle who likely votes left who has easily made his million and doesn't (or didn't last I knew) have a degree at all.

I'm sorry if I missed your reply in another thread, ketsuko. I do have a family. I try to reply to everything I can.

And thanks for being different from the masses. This thread was not meant to say that everyone is the same, and all people stick to a mold. We all know that is not true.

But if Fox/WSJ is bringing this up then it's a big deal. And it's meant to be taken seriously. Only a handful took it seriously, you included (thank you), which made me wonder if this is really the right place for me to write in the future.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Fair enough.

If you don't enjoy being here, then it is what it is.

But I hope you'll see a role as being more of the change you want to see on these boards.

See you around.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Academia is largely left-leaning from primary to post-secondary. So it's really no surprise that those indoctrinated in that system will lean left in their voting habits.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

The other problem about your graphic is that it is a snapshot tracking in time of two very different groups, and we don't know a lot about them.

Are we talking all white women with degrees? All white men without? Why just those two groups?

There is no age breakdown or anything else, and of course, the trending only shows how those groups are trending at that point in time. The implication, of course, is that they are always going that way, but that's not always so. As Edumakated pointed out -- blue collar white men (white men without degrees mainly) have traditionally been a democrat block thanks to manufacturing and unions. So it's fascinating that they are now the group being so strongly juxtaposed against educated white women.

Part of what has happened is that the economy was killed, specifically manufacturing which is where unions were very strong. Democrat policies killed their own golden goose. And those uneducated white men didn't want to go on government programs. They started aiming more for Republican pols who promised a stronger economy and jobs. Rural white men have always more or less been there, so, I think, have many small business owners who also may be doing well without their degree and thus are counted as uneducated no matter how actually successful they personally are.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I know educated people who aren't really smart.
They don't look at things like facts and truth if it doesn't fit their feelings....they have feelings that are more important than any truth.
They are educated, but they jump on the bandwagon that makes them feel good or feel like part of the group, but when shown the truth and facts that don't agree with what they FEEL ,they will act like kids and not listen anymore.
Education doesn't necessarily mean smart.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

That is part of the problem. Every wants to make educated a synonym for smart and it's just not. Educated is the opposite of ignorant, but dumb and ignorant are not synonymous.

And someone without high degrees of formal education isn't necessarily ignorant too.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

The chart reflects that "educated white women" lean more democrat, but there isn't any mention of the fact that a) more women are being recruited to colleges, and b) colleges already espouse and promote a culture that is nearly 100% in step with the democrats anyways.

There are also all those left-wing degrees like Climate Justice and universities marketing themselves as being for the "common good" of the world.

www.gcu.ac.uk...

These courses effectively form echo chambers where the students reinforce each other. When I was in university, the different departments were effectively isolated from each other due to the fact they were in different parts of the city.

Even with summer camp, teenagers were preferring to go to luxury meditation, relaxation sessions, massage, yoga, and everything else except roughing it in the wild.
edit on 2-11-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk... o-white-men-sign.html
www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 2-11-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Conspiracy hypothesis: there is intentional misguiding of youth in these directions.

It's common knowledge that young people are more emotionally-driven thinkers and decision makers. This isn't finger-pointing: I was there too. Actually a late bloomer to wising up, as it happens. As smart and bright as young people are, there's an elephant in the room and it is the fact that young people are also basically idiots in many ways. Their input simply isn't needed in the political process.

When they are "empowered" and encouraged through the institutions of higher learning, dialectic becomes shouting match and the imperatives change from progress through collaborative scrutiny to simply restoring some sort of peace and coming up for air.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
World wide - women are choosing education over children and marriage.

The future looks interesting to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

You mean sterile?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

a reply to: JHumm

That is part of the problem. Every wants to make educated a synonym for smart and it's just not. Educated is the opposite of ignorant, but dumb and ignorant are not synonymous.

And someone without high degrees of formal education isn't necessarily ignorant too.

I agree, I forgot to add that I also know people who only have high school education and are some of the smartest people you could ever know.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You mean sterile?

She means the basis for the movie Idiocracy.

She just doesn't know it.

The people without degrees in my family are the ones with the most money, at the end of the day.

My father never finished high school and he runs rings around structural engineers, for instance. He made his money showing them how to apply their "intelligence" to the actual real world.

So I've no idea why people would equate a degree with intelligence, much less success.

A form of elitism, I suppose.

As to the OP, it would be interesting if they did the same study with Americans, not just white people.

edit on 2-11-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

You mean sterile?

Interesting interpretation.

That is all.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You mean sterile?

The people without degrees in my family are the ones with the most money, at the end of the day.

My father never finished high school and he runs rings around structural engineers, for instance. He made his money showing them how to apply their "intelligence" to the actual real world.

So I've no idea why people would equate a degree with intelligence, much less success.

As to the OP, it would be interesting if they did the same study with Americans, not just white people.

Another interesting interpretation.

Which also has nothing remotely close to my post.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You mean sterile?

Another interesting interpretation.

Which also has nothing remotely close to my post.

Because, as I said, you don't know the reference.

My degree I haven't used in 15 years or so and have made a lot more money without it... a BS degree in EE.

If you think an exciting future is women forgoing having children for a degree and a career, you are missing an important part of what women do.

We have birthed all the people on the planet.

But yea.. let's just stop that.

/facepalm
edit on 2-11-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Exactly, when women decide that they should not have children, we end up making ourselves extinct. What an exciting future that will be.

Can you imagine the last old geezers waddling around like poor old Lonesome George?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Exactly, when women decide that they should not have children, we end up making ourselves extinct. What an exciting future that will be.

Can you imagine the last old geezers waddling around like poor old Lonesome George?

We live longer too, so technically it will be the last old hags wandering around comparing degrees..

Thank God that the poster's ideology isn't the majority.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I just read an entire first page where everyone was discussing the subject of the article without questioning who wrote it and where do they come from and even who pays them?

yikes, this is not good

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I just read an entire first page where everyone was discussing the subject of the article without questioning who wrote it and where do they come from and even who pays them?

yikes, this is not good

Don't panic, just read this thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Interesting article. I would have liked to see all four groups (men/women college/HS or less) on the graph. One thing that hit me is the graph almost misrepresents the actual effect of each group. The men with high school or less will be around 2x more in number than women. I did a quick and dirty estimation, but did NOT break it up by race - couldn't find that much detail with midnight looming.

I used Statistics for the percentage of each gender that obtained a bachelor degree or higher. I (sloppily) used a 50/50 men to women ratio. So, as a percentage of population (and I just realized I'm ASSUMING the graph is for adults) I get:

Women w/ degrees 17.3%
Women H/S or less 32.7%

Men w/ degrees 16.9%
Men H/S or less 33.1%

So, women with degrees skewing left are going to be outnumbered by men without degrees skewing right.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join