It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Kuznetsov aircraft carrier has major incident in dock

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Docking versions serving as an alternative to the sunken floating dock in Murmansk in northwest Russia have been found for all the Russian Navy’s ships, Head of the United Ship-Building Corporation Alexei Rakhmanov said on Wednesday.

"We have alternatives actually for all the ships except for [the aircraft carrier] Admiral Kuznetsov. Our enterprises are in operation, [including] the Nerpa [Ship Repair Factory]. After all, we can perform certain docking works in Severodvinsk, not far from Murmansk. We don’t feel any special problems in this regard," the chief executive said.

www.ruaviation.com...

Even the Russians are saying the dock is sunk and that they lack something else as an alternative for the Kuznetsov.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

This is what makes me laugh all the pics and info have all come from Russia yet he won't believe it.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Damages are estimated to be around $1.1million according to the media. link

Also one person who was hospitalised in the incident has died from his injuries. link

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Seems like a low figure. Even accounting for the difference in exchange value. I guess if it's all superficial and nothing structural was affected, they could patch for that. We'd spend over that on engineering studies to evaluate the damage first, nevermind actually fixing anything.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I thought it seemed low as well could be the Russian media telling fibs who knows?!

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If it's just replacing torn and buckled plates, then you can probably do that cheap and quick. But if there is anything needing structural repair, it seems like that's extremely optimistic.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Have you heard any more about the ship at all I can't seem to find anything?
PS I did send you a pm about it if you missed it.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I've not seen or heard anything. Then again, it's also January and that can be brutal in Mother Russia, so I would not be expecting a lot right now.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Looks to be undergoing repairs still. Came across the pic yesterday.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Her sister, erm, cousin ships are doing well though:

edit on 23-2-2019 by anzha because: accidentally put the thumbnail

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Turns out it might be getting decommissioned early.
link

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

It's always been of limited utility, expensive, and mechanically unreliable. It'd be a pretty remarkable change in direction if they cut bait now.

I don't see how the floating dry dock would factor: dry dock space is always in demand. They are nearly certain to replace it with a similarly large dock for their other large hulls (and carrier, if they keep it).

The whole point was to get the experience needed for future expansion, and if the balloon went up, it needed to make enough hay targeting ASW aircraft from Labrador and the UK, creating a furball to tie up NATO assets to let the submarines bust out of the gap. Russia has always dreamed of power projection from carriers, but that has never been a capability or even working-goal since they scrapped their nuclear carrier project in the 90's

It has never been clear that this niche mission capability is worth the investment for prestige's sake, and more modern and capable carriers are not in Russia's immediate future due to budget. Wouldn't surprise me, but it would mean Russia making the conscious decision to get out of the carrier business and abandoning that knowledge base for future develop which was the real purpose. Not sure that step would be taken lightly.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Russia’s aircraft carrier The Admiral Kuznetsov, currently undergoing repairs and maintenance at the 35th ship repair plant in Murmansk, will be docked in 2020, a source in the shipbuilding industry told TASS.

"The phase of repairs in a dry dock will begin in 2020, provided the facilities required are in place and the dock’s capacity is increased," the source said.

The United Shipbuilding Corporation told TASS the 35th ship repair plant was in the process of upgrading its dock facilities, which would allow for accommodating the aircraft carrier The Admiral Kuznetsov.

"It’s a complex package of measures, so we foresee a certain postponement of the second docking of the ship, but the eventual deadline for completing the repairs and upgrade - 2021 - will remain unchanged," the corporation said.

Shipbuilding corporation president Alexei Rakhmanov told TASS the aircraft carrier suffered 52 defects, which would cost 70 million rubles to eliminate. He said The Admiral Kuznetsov would have to be docked for a second time. Originally the operation was scheduled for the summer of 2019. After the sinking of the PD-50 dock several options of a second docking were considered and the choice was made in favor of creating the required facilities at the 35th ship repair plant.

Maybe not dead? Or is this the equivalent of the dead cars on the front lawn?

www.ruaviation.com...

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Like I said, dry dock facilities are always in demand and are an infrastructure investment. If they turf the carrier, it won't be because the floating drydock sank. Sounds like the new plan is to expand capacity at an existing facility.

It'll be interesting. If they keep it, they should re-engine it, too. We'll see how much money they eventually throw at it.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   
According to social media its on fire atm. Looks to be devastating if. The videos are true
link
edit on 12-12-2019 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Tugs now attending with fire fighting equipment seems that the fire isn't under control at all. One person reported missing so far.
Diesel fuel reported to be burning as well.
edit on 12-12-2019 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have found two different videos and they seem to be contrasting a bit.

Reports are varying and some are pretty dire.

The first video doesn't seem to be accurate, but I cannot state for sure.

twitter.com...
edit on 12-12-2019 by anzha because: added commentary on first video and link to another.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The first video is from a few years ago at sea this event seems to be in port.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

may be under control.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think this will be the final nail in the coffin for the carrier though tbh

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join