It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Kuznetsov aircraft carrier has major incident in dock

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Russian Military + Vodka = stuff like this.

Yup pretty much win the internet there..

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellmutt

One of my good buddies whose a marine is out on that excercise they sure did a number on some bars in Iceland literally drank their taps dry.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I get the whole "Russia is a joke" thing. Hell I've been guilty of it myself, but Jesus. Russia is a 2nd class power still, and has been working to build a pretty solid military again. They aren't anywhere near being great, but reading some of the comments here and other places, you'd think the Keystone Kops were a better military than them.

Any military has accidents, especially when they're underfunded as long as Russia has been. Our military isn't currently in much better shape, it's just big enough to accept more issues than other militaries.
edit on 10/30/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I get the whole "Russia is a joke" thing. Hell I've been guilty of it myself, but Jesus. Russia is a 2nd class power still, and has been working to build a pretty solid military again. They aren't anywhere near being great, but reading some of the comments here and other places, you'd think the Keystone Kops were a better military than them.

Any military has accidents, especially when they're underfunded as long as Russia has been. Our military isn't currently in much better shape, it's just big enough to accept more issues than other militaries.

That being said that old thing has been having troubles from the word go, even when funding was much better the admiral K was a basket case at this point keeping that thing in service seems to be more of a liability than anything. It’s just a “prestige” piece that’s not even prestigious anymore. The ruskies are very good at some things aircraft carriers aren’t one of them that’s for sure.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

No one is from the start. Russia doesn't need carriers really, so they're not going to build many, which means they don't get the experience they need to improve them.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yes, but...the Russians are struggling with many of their larger warships. The ex-Kirovs, frex:

russiandefpolicy.blog...

They just totally lack experience at that level, really, and keep trying. However, it's not going well.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Funding and training. The same things we've been seeing with 7th.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellmutt
Russian exercise

On Friday, Russia informed NATO about a Russian exercise where they are going to test missiles off the Norwegian coast, in an area with several Norwegian offshore installations. This will be a 3-day exercise, starting on Thursday. I don't know whether Admiral Kuznetsov was supposed to participate in this exercise.

The Kuznetsov started the refit in April 2018 and is due to be returned to the navy in 2021.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The Russians are downplaying the damage.

The damage to Russia’s Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, when a floating dock where the vessel had been undergoing modernization accidentally sank, is considered as insignificant, Head of the United Shipbuilding Corporation Alexei Rakhmanov said on Wednesday. This reported by TASS.

"There is no financial assessment, we look at the damage - there is nothing terrible there, and I think we will deal with it ourselves. As soon as we make the assessment, I will inform you. This won’t be a big sum," Rakhmanov said. There is nothing "scary" about this damage, he noted.

www.ruaviation.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
nothing to see here.

move along.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown
You would think the ballast tank fill valves would default to closed in an non commanded power off event. The opposite situation is done on fuel systems on aircraft all the time, so doing the reverse is completely possible.

edit on 31-10-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
a reply to: Fallingdown
You would think the ballast tank fill valves would default to closed in an non commanded power off event. The opposite situation is done on fuel systems on aircraft all the time, so doing the reverse is completely possible.

Until the old I’ll mantained system starts acting screwy so you just manually override it.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't even comment on the so-called "incident" with this ship ... I just have another question for the EU-NATO !

How's it going with Dement Juncture drills in Norway ? Feeling cold ? Need socks maybe ?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Not really related is it

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
I don't even comment on the so-called "incident" with this ship ... I just have another question for the EU-NATO !

How's it going with Dement Juncture drills in Norway ? Feeling cold ? Need socks maybe ?

Word is the boys are doing just fine drinking Iceland dry.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

It wasn't. We'd have waited until it was in deeper water.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47
No, because sinking it would have been doing them a strategic and financial favour as it would free up funds, thinking/planning and yard resources to actually build something useful to them.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510
He's slipping, I actually expected him to jump on this at least 1-2 days ago.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86
Well if you aren't even going to pass comment om this post then why are you here talking about a totally unrelated story? I thought ATS had a rule about maintaining posts relative to the topic that we are all supposed to abide by?

As for the damage to the ship, its probably true that its not quite as bad as it first seems. I have seen ships with far worse damage repaired and put back into service.

edit on 1-11-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
a reply to: Woody510
He's slipping, I actually expected him to jump on this at least 1-2 days ago.

Hahaha! I was actually anticipating some weird far out there conspiracy involving the EU.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join