It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Follow-up: Rosemount (MN) educator resigns after 'kill Kavanaugh' tweet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I say, good show all around. And, IMO, she should be subject to a mental evaluation and her teaching licence pulled until such time as she can be declared safe to herself and others.

That seems kind of dramatic and authoritarian... Well, at least it does from a rational based perspective.

I mean, all she actually did was make a stupid joke.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I say, good show all around. And, IMO, she should be subject to a mental evaluation and her teaching licence pulled until such time as she can be declared safe to herself and others.

That seems kind of dramatic and authoritarian... Well, at least it does from a rational based perspective.

So, to you, calling for someone to kill a supreme court justice is a joke? I respectfully disagree. That is a call to murder someone over political differences. It borders on the definition of domestic terrorism actually. However, I am not stating that it is, but she definitely needed to be taken to task for her own statement of advocating violence.

Someone that feels strongly enough to post publicly calling for the murder of another person, to me, is not thinking in a sane manner. Therefore, a psych evaluation should be done to determine if she truly is a danger. Isn't that prudent to be sure before she goes even further? After all, we have numerous cases in the not so distant past of people threatening violence being ignored. Only to actually carry out those threats, resulting in people dead, and the rest of the population screaming about why it was not taken seriously before it happened.

Isn't that what I am asking for here? Doing an evaluation to see if this is an aberration or a deep seeded neurosis? How is that a dramatic request? Think of the children she teaches, who all have their own developmental issues, and could be very impressionable having s teacher make these type of statements in public.

edit on 10/11/2018 by Krakatoa because: spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

So, to you, calling for someone to kill a supreme court justice is a joke? I respectfully disagree. That is a call to murder someone over political differences.

But this wasn't a literal call to murder anyone, it was just a stupid joke, which admittedly was probably in bad taste... But it was obviously a joke nonetheless!

Not that I need to explain this to you... Your an intelligent person and know full well this was just a poorly executed joke and not a legitimate death threat.

But, never let the truth get in the way of justifying your political ideologies... right?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

So, to you, calling for someone to kill a supreme court justice is a joke? I respectfully disagree. That is a call to murder someone over political differences.

But this wasn't a literal call to murder anyone, it was just a stupid joke, which admittedly was probably in bad taste... But it was obviously a joke nonetheless!

Not that I need to explain this to you... Your an intelligent person and know full well this was just a poorly executed joke and not a legitimate death threat.

But, never let the truth get in the way of justifying your political ideologies... right?

Please refrain from thinking for me. I know liberals love doing that, and trying to run everyone's life. You do not know what I am thinking, and you embarrass yourself in trying.

I take her post at face value. She stated, clearly, a wish for someone to, and I quote, "kill Kavanaugh". You may poo-poo that since the target is someone you despise. However, I would have the exact same reaction to her if it was targeted to someone I despised, like Hilary Clinton. There is no place for calls for death threats in this heated political climate, let alone at all.

I still say, let us ratchet the rhetoric down, NOW, before someone else is hurt, or killed.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I disagree with her firing/leaving.

We have a state rep who had hoped that Trump would get assassinated and she still has her job.

Ugly speech, hate speech, is still free speech.

i'd prefer they were charged criminally, I'm kind of torn about the firing issue myself.
While it is probably appropriate since they are a teacher i worry about such precedents.
Lots of people have been fired simply for supporting Trump.
I'd rather stick with principle than getting an eye for an eye.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Joke or not, there are some things that shouldn't be said.
She should have been intelligent enough to know that.

Like You can't say bomb on an airplane
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

I disagree with her firing/leaving.

We have a state rep who had hoped that Trump would get assassinated and she still has her job.

Ugly speech, hate speech, is still free speech.

i'd prefer they were charged criminally, I'm kind of torn about the firing issue myself.
While it is probably appropriate since they are a teacher i worry about such precedents.
Lots of people have been fired simply for supporting Trump.
I'd rather stick with principle than getting an eye for an eye.

For regular political speech, and support for some candidate, I agree it is not worth losing a job. However, this goes beyond political speech and crosses over to soliciting murder. Therefore, IMO, it needs to be treated as a credible threat and she needs to be evaluated for her mental state to determine, for sure, if she is actually a threat. Especially as a teacher of young impressionable children.

Now, all seriousness aside, she's a woman, we MUST believe her, right? /jk

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I still say, let us ratchet the rhetoric down, NOW, before someone else is hurt, or killed.

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

Calling for someone to have a psych eval after publicly stating someone should kill another person is not rhetoric. It is prudent action to prevent someone's death.

But, I see that your political blinders are permanently affixed to your head.

Good luck with that. I don't see this case as being political in my concern. IF you do, please, I challenge you to point out anything I stated here that was politically motivated form me. I will happily correct your false impressions of any of my statements.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do you want her teaching your kids?

If the investigation turned up that her vitriol was leaking into the classroom, then they have a right to force her out. We don't know, in this case, what the particulars of the investigation are.

Also, did she make the private Tweet or was it linked to her position? That can change some things too. If she Tweeted in a way that pulled the school in, then that's a no-no.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I just hate the idea that we (as a society) have become so snow-flakey that bad jokes or even hate speech can get a person fired/punished.

Hurt feelings are now cause for punitive actions.

A line must be drawn somewhere or else we'll see a time where even my constant criticism of leftist twinkie-tards will cause enough hurt feelings where there'd be justification for MY punishment!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

I just hate the idea that we (as a society) have become so snow-flakey that bad jokes or even hate speech can get a person fired/punished.

Hurt feelings are now cause for punitive actions.

A line must be drawn somewhere or else we'll see a time where even my constant criticism of leftist twinkie-tards will cause enough hurt feelings where there'd be justification for MY punishment!

As long as you do not call for their murder or otherwise their deaths, I am with you DB. Hell, you can even wish a plague of locusts decimate their fields....and I would still support your right to say that. What I don;t support are calls for killing and death threats.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If hoping that someone will soon take a dirt nap is justification for punishment, then I am screwed.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Yeah, ok... Its obviously just a total coincidence that this joke that apparently concerns you so gravely, was about a right-wing icon... right?

I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to post a thread calling for psych evaluations and employment terminations, if some random idiot posted a stupid joke on twitter about knocking off Hillary or Obama.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yeah, ok... Its obviously just a total coincidence that this joke that apparently concerns you so gravely, was about a right-wing icon... right?

I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to post a thread calling for psych evaluations and employment terminations, if some random idiot posted a stupid joke on twitter about knocking off Hillary or Obama.

In fact yes I would, without hesitation. See, I do not belong or follow any one party, never have in my 40+ years as a voter. I know that is a foreign concept to some, but that is how I roll. And, in fact, have stated clearly even in this thread that is what I would do.

Again, take off your political blinders,. Not everyone is a drone for one of the big two parties.

edit on 10/11/2018 by Krakatoa because: clarified a statement

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If hoping that someone will soon take a dirt nap is justification for punishment, then I am screwed.

No, hoping is not. Publicly calling for them to be killed is though.

There is a difference.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Consequences. Simple as that.

Speech is free, but with the freedom come consequences. As she discovered.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The lack of maturity that keeps telling them, "It won't happen to me."

Oddly, they're the first ones who'd complain if someone said anything like that to, or about, them... They miss that, too.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Rosanne Barr made a joke and look what happened to her.

She was just a comedian and not teaching and influencing our youth.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

To you, it's a stupid joke. To me, it's a stupid joke. To a John Hinckley type who might be out there?? Maybe not so much a joke, but a command.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join