It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the sky blue?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Seriously. Why is the sky blue?

Perhaps based on the answers to this rather child like question, we can delve into some great conspiracy theory discussion...

So let's hear from all the critical thinkers. Hope we can chat. I will be checking back periodically.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Water reflecting light?
edit on 8-10-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CainHarmbank

Cuz that's the color Bob Ross painted it. Then he beat the devil out of his brush.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Because you touch yourself at night

The sky is blue because that is what we are all told from the word go. Many things can answer your question.
A documentary called “what the bleep do we know” is something you should watch. It will answer that for ya.

You can thank me later!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I thought it was because O and Ni are the two most abundant elements in the atmosphere, and closest to blue on the color spectrum.

I could be wrong though, high school was 20+ years ago for me.

I don't know what conspiracies we can come up with the sky being blue though.
edit on 8-10-2018 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

From what I remember it had to do with the visible spectrum of light and the density of molecules. Which is why a clear blue sky is visible during the day versus a red or orange sunset. Light has to collide with molecules to be visible on a spectrum of color rather than be brilliant white light. Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Because that's the colour God painted the dome over the flat earth when he made it about 10,000 years ago.

edit on 8/10/18 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I’ve forgotten how to embed videos so I will link.the youboob video.

Watch this and be amazed

It will change your life man!

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's blue because it hasn't been told a good joke in awhile.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
See muzzleflash's - The Secret of 42 Revealed.

Instead of a rainbow, it is the atmosphere you are peering through. Red light travels slower than blue light and for "normal" atmosphere that gives you pretty sky blue bells ringing.

Industrial pollutants, forest fires, dust storms, etc., all change the colors you perceive.

Red skies at night, sailor's delight; Blue skies in the morning, sailors take warning!

Or it is that dang homunculus screwing with me again!!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Because it is so easy to look up on google.com

math.ucr.edu...

Why is the sky blue?
A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'll answer your question with another question:

What was the sky before it was "blue"?

Did we always see blue?

A2D

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Why Is the Sky Blue?

There will be a test on Friday and it will count on your grade.

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. blue skyAs light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

As you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.

Or do you mean why do we call blue, blue?
Link

blue (adj.1)

"of the color of the clear sky," c. 1300, bleu, blwe, etc., "sky-colored," also "livid, lead-colored," from Old French blo, bleu "pale, pallid, wan, light-colored; blond; discolored; blue, blue-gray," from Frankish *blao or some other Germanic source, from Proto-Germanic *blæwaz (source also of Old English blaw, Old Saxon and Old High German blao, Danish blaa, Swedish blå, Old Frisian blau, Middle Dutch bla, Dutch blauw, German blau "blue").

This will be included on the quiz on Friday.

Is the sky really blue?

The way humans perceive color is mind-numbingly complex. The latest study, for example, delves into the mechanism behind how we've come to see in the blue light spectrum, and it involved analyzing 5,040 combinations of amino acids that could have evolved from seven mutations. The overall view, however, is less daunting -- and fascinating. Here are five intriguing discoveries that color our world.

Superhuman Vision Coming to Mere Mortals

"We definitely do not see blue like other animals," Jay Neitz, a professor of vision sciences at the University of Washington, told Discovery News. "We actually use a combination of what people would call blue and green and use both of those for seeing blue." Scientifically, the wave length for peak sensitivity for the human blue cone is 415 nanometers. "If I showed it to you, you'd see it was violet or purple," Neitz said. What we call blue checks in at 480 nanometers -- that's the color used to represent blue in television screens.

edit on 10/8/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

If the OP would watch what I linked they should have no problem during the quiz.

But you pretty much gave them all the answers.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Because if it was green, we wouldn't know where to stop mowing the lawn.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Is Google broke?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

I thought it was because O and Ni are the two most abundant elements in the atmosphere, and closest to blue on the color spectrum.

I could be wrong though, high school was 20+ years ago for me.

I don't know what conspiracies we can come up with the sky being blue though.

We have a winner.......

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CainHarmbank
Seriously. Why is the sky blue?

Perhaps based on the answers to this rather child like question, we can delve into some great conspiracy theory discussion...

So let's hear from all the critical thinkers. Hope we can chat. I will be checking back periodically.

Cheers.

Obviously blue is God's favorite color...I kinda like it myself...

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Because we live inside the eye of a blue eyed giant named Macumbah. It is known.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Well because it tastes like Chicken obviously.

On a more serious note molecules in air scatter blue light from our Star more than they scatter red light.

If you look towards the Sun when it's setting, you would see red and orange colours, because the blue light has been scattered out and away from your sight line.

edit on 8-10-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join