It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.5 degree rise in body temp would kill you, just like it would kill the earth!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

The goldilocks zone is specifically about liquid WATER. The only implication is that its "just right" for....liquid W A T E R.

More precisely, it is the range of orbits around a star within which a planetary surface can support liquid water given sufficient atmospheric pressure.

Says nothing about life. ONLY LIQUID WATER.

One more time for clarity: LIQUID WATER.

A2D

PS: liquid water......

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sighs. Heavier sighs. Weeps. Is appalled. Exits.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here's something most people never heard off.....

en.wikipedia.org...

the worst solar flare ever that wreaked havoc on earth in 1859!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I don't think there's a Goldilocks zone, that's a Earth centrist view.

In that case, I don't think the internal combustion engine exists.

The internal combustion engine is a technology that is a real physical object that exists.

The "Goldilocks Zone" is a concept conveying "It's in the middle so it's Just Right", with the implication that it's "Just Right" for us humans.

That doesn't mean it's just right for random hypothetical alien species.

We don't know anything about aliens, it's all speculative.

False Equivalence

Ummm...I agree...humans like to anthropomorphize when it comes to alien life...
It's hard to attempt to imagine from an alien perspective because all of experience is egocentric in the sense that we simply have no other referential experience to assimilate...

Beyond that...I once tried to write in the first person from what I imagined an alien thought process might entail...It's virtually impossible because frames of reference and definition are all characteristically human...un surprisingly...I didn't want to attempt to illustrate thought by merely making up bad linguistics...

Of course I failed miserably...

Thanks man...you reminded me of that...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConsciousRoots

we have mutilated our grasslands,

Grasses are some of the worst weeds I know about. Utterly useless, unless for grazing livestock. But such critters exhale CO2. Gross!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConsciousRoots

look at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, it will be gone in 10 years!

Are you able to specify the top coral killers in the GBR?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How much temperature does each point on Earth vary between the day and night. Deserts can be 100C+ during the day and drop down to -5C at night. Oceans remain constant due to the huge latent heat storage capability of water.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

consciousroots started this thread and is really stressing out over this................so

marconi union their song weightless www.youtube.com...

proven in the lab on people having their brainwaves studied this music is PROVEN to reduce stress by 68%

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Earth was several degrees hotter in the past with numerous life forms existing.
Sure humans could die if exposed to high temperatures for extended time, but you do realize daily temperature fluctuations are more then the range you stated.

Even before the modern era humans have inhabited every climate on earth except for Antarctica.

a reply to: ConsciousRoots

edit on 8-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Yeah. Before the modern era. How many people were there back then? Were there coastal cities with populations in the millions? Were there vast tracts of agricultural fields which depended upon seasonal rainfall to feed millions?

A fine pickle we've gotten ourselves into. Cities and stuff.

edit on 10/8/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
How much temperature does each point on Earth vary between the day and night. Deserts can be 100C+ during the day and drop down to -5C at night. Oceans remain constant due to the huge latent heat storage capability of water.

Yeah. But we're talking about a change in the average temperature of the planet. Not peak highs and lows, but energy retained in a system. So it's sort of different. More CO2 means that those deserts won't cool down quite so much at night, that they will get hotter during the day.There are many systems in the human body. Put one out of whack and a lot of stuff can go wrong. Feedback and stuff.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The internal combustion engine is a technology that is a real physical object that exists.

The "Goldilocks Zone" is a concept conveying "It's in the middle so it's Just Right", with the implication that it's "Just Right" for us humans.

Both are real concepts. Just because we didn't manufacture the area around a star where liquid water can physically exist does not mean such an area does not exist. The Goldilocks Zone is as real as the Troposphere.

That doesn't mean it's just right for random hypothetical alien species.

We don't know anything about aliens, it's all speculative.

No, it means the habitat fits one condition of several. Water still must exist. A sufficient atmosphere must exist. A magnetosphere must exist. The habitat must be stable... and that's just to name a few other conditions.

You are the only one in this conversation talking about alien life. I am talking about the definition of the Goldilocks Zone... no one is saying alien life must exist in such a zone. Venus is in the same Goldilocks Zone as we are, and yet I don't think anyone seriously thinks life exists there... it's a literal Hell.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

it's a literal Hell.
That's what they want you to think. But it does have a lot of CO2.

It should be noted, as well, that Enceladus is far, far from the Three Bears. It don't take a star to keep things warm.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Agreed. There are other situations that can produce sufficient heat. Did I indicate otherwise?

ETA: the thermodynamic equilibrium on Venus is quite different from the Earth. That's comparing apples to toasters.

TheRedneck

edit on 10/8/2018 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Who is they?
They who want us to think that about Venus of course.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Did I indicate otherwise?

Did I say you didn't?

link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

NASA.

Duh.

link   

You seemed to insinuate it.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Paranoia strikes deep.

I guess.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Do you assert that NASA is lying then? Do you disagree that Venus is unlikely to be a planet with evidence of life which we can verify?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join