It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Car Audio Advice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
DP
edit on 10/4/2018 by Alien Abduct because: DP

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
No cap in my setup yes I have a deep cycle marine battery in the trunk optima red top starting battery, I actually get away with acceptable drop even with my decidedly weak sauce 175amp alt. I’d keep the isolator I got burned by that not long ago had a stray couple of strands of wire from the hot to the remote turn on for my sub amp and it killed both my batteries.

www.audioslavemusic.com...

Educate yourself mister distance doesn’t matter....
edit on 10/4/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

YGPM AA
edit on 10/4/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Nice chart, I downloaded it for future reference.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Nice chart, I downloaded it for future reference.

That wasn’t even a very good one just one of the first I found to demonstrate dude has no clue.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Are you running 8 guage to you DC?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

so after watching the video, i can see it's a dc capacitor, and if i'm not mistaken the negative side is actually charging the cap and sending out the charge, thus sending the power elsewhere.

I would guess your amp is at least 5000watt amp.

the biggest issue is the wiring at that point

If you push an amplifier like that to the max, you will melt those 1/0 wires

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Are you running 8 guage to you DC?
Only because it has 8awg direct leads I personally think people go overkill on the speaker wiring not realizing their amp is throwing out higher voltage and is AC so it’s a whole nother beast. If your runs are short to the sub you’ll be fine with good 12awg.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

so after watching the video, i can see it's a dc capacitor, and if i'm not mistaken the negative side is actually charging the cap and sending out the charge, thus sending the power elsewhere.

Pleas stop while you’re behind you’re just making yourself look worse.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

well I'll be running 3000 watts rms at most so divide that by the voltage which will be no less than 12V so that's 250 amps at most that will be continuously running through a 20' wire that is rated at 350 amps at 100 feet. As far as i can tell it should be good. can you point me to a source that says it won't work?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

well I'll be running 3000 watts rms at most so divide that by the voltage which will be no less than 12V so that's 250 amps at most that will be continuously running through a 20' wire that is rated at 350 amps at 100 feet. As far as i can tell it should be good. can you point me to a source that says it won't work?

I don’t know man he might be right better make 4 runs of 4/0

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

I think you are mistaking voltage/wattage and amperage.

Also I've never heard of and electrical line bursting. Could you point me in that direction?

Burst in the timing since but why yes they can physically burst in a puff of smoke. Know I know all too well about amperage,voltage, power, resistance that are all interconnected and the longer the run the higher the loss from resistance the higher the heat loss and voltage drop causing overheating of the wire. Go look at an ampacity vs distance chart buddy.

Ampacity vs distance, that's a new one. It's VOLTAGE OVER DISTANCE.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

a 20' wire

wahhh?

I promise I am trying to help, i have actual knowlegde of wiring and ampacity of wires
edit on 4-10-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Also I've never heard of and electrical line bursting. Could you point me in that direction?

Burst in the timing since but why yes they can physically burst in a puff of smoke. Know I know all too well about amperage,voltage, power, resistance that are all interconnected and the longer the run the higher the loss from resistance the higher the heat loss and voltage drop causing overheating of the wire. Go look at an ampacity vs distance chart buddy.

We’re talking about current handling of the cable ie voltage doesn’t matter (mind you’re not going I’ver the max voltage of the cables insulation) the drop and resistance are what the issue is.🤦🏻‍♂️

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

What we are saying is that the wire causes more impedance the longer the run.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

an amp putting out 300 amps will put out 300 amps.

a wire that can handle 150 amps will handle 150, beyond that the insulation may start melting.

It's not rocket science, it's simple science.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

an amp putting out 300 amps will put out 300 amps.

a wire that can handle 150 amps will handle 150, beyond that the insulation may start melting.

It's not rocket science, it's simple science.

I provided you with a nice color chart that shows you’re talking out of your arse please refer to it and come back and tell me distance doesn’t matter...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

The wire run may cause more impedance, but dont take run length into that account.

If it has X amount of impedance at 1 foot, it has an exponential more amount at 10'.

Don't under-size the wire and burn your car up. Your wiring seems ok after looking at some DC schemes, so you're good there.

It's the wiring. Spend a few more dollars for the next gauge wiring.
edit on 4-10-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The wire run may cause more impedance, but dont take run length into that account.

If it has X amount of impedance at 1 foot, it has an exponential less amount at 10'.

Don't under-size the wire and burn your car up. Your wiring seems ok after looking at some DC schemes, so you're good there.

I really hope you’re trolling or my faith in mankind just fell a couple notches.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

If it has X amount of impedance at 1 foot, it has an exponential less amount at 10'.

I really hope you’re trolling or my faith in mankind just fell a couple notches.

Mine just fell as well, because i actually know what I'm talking about and you know about few wires that make things work. You don't understand electricity at all.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Mine just fell as well, because i actually know what I'm talking about and you know about few wires that make things work. You don't understand electricity at all.
Please explain to me how resistance drops over length?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join