It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News: NASA Searching for Technosignatures on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FossilLin
There are almost one million basalt columns in the world. Numerous of them do not originate from volcanic plug.
One more example: www.edpaffjr.com...
The above photo shows basalt columns that do not contact a volcanic plug. So they do not originate from volcanic plug or vertical lava.

edit on 30-9-2018 by FossilLin because: To change link

edit on 30-9-2018 by FossilLin because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2018 by FossilLin because: to change to exact nouns.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: FossilLin
There are almost one million basalt columns in the world. Numerous of them do not originate from volcanic plug.

Doesn't that mean that some do?

Anyway, you are mixing things.

Basalt columns appear in areas with volcanic activity, but not limited to volcanic plugs. Whenever you have a relatively large volume of slowly cooling lava you can have have columnar joints (those columns are not limited to basalt). For example, there are several places on Earth where large, multiple eruptions of one or more volcanoes created large areas of lava that, when cooling, may have created columnar joints. Also, a flow of lava that never reaches the surface and, therefore, does not create a volcano and the corresponding volcanic plug (called a laccolith) can also create columnar joints. Devil's Tower is supposed to be one of those cases, in which a vertical flow of lava that never reached the surface to create a volcano cooled slowly underground, creating those famous granite (not basalt) columns.

In fact, what creates columnar joints is not the fact that the lava had a vertical or horizontal movement but the way the lava cooled, as is the cooling and the resulting solidifying process that creates crystal-like structures. It's also that fact that makes it possible for the columns to have different numbers of sides along their extension, starting by being, for example, six-sided columns to end as four-sided columns, a sign that the cooling and solidifying process changed.

There are many examples of columnar joints without volcanoes, as you can see on this photo from Palouse Canyon, located in a basalt flood area (you can see that the columns are thinner and less perfect than the most famous example, showing that the cooling process was not as slow as in those other cases), or in this photo from Moses Coulee, or the most famous of them all, the Giant's Causeway, that is not the result of a volcano.

Wikipedia has a long list of examples of columnar joints from around the world, and you can see that some are volcanic plugs but some are not.

PS: one question, do you know any thing about geology?

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

Let me reply to your post more detailedly. Your post is well written. Your post contains theory, which is standard theory and has existed for some time. But there is no evidence in your post. The theory needs evidence from laboratory or from the nature. In fact, the theory did not materialize anywhere. Furthermore the theory was disproved in a recent laboratory experiment. The theory is disproved in full and in details in this post of mine: DO NOT CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT MY WEBSITE: wretchfossil.blogspot.com...

edit on 30-9-2018 by FossilLin because: to fix link

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FossilLin

You've had all the evidence of from the scientific literature, you just dismiss it and refer people to your crackpot blog.

Anything to contribute on the actual topic or are you just plugging your blog again?

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Highly doubt this is any form of disclosure. Looks to me more like NASA can't believe, when combined with all global efforts and their abundance of photoreconaissance satellites and advacnced telescopic technology, has yet to discover nor receive any sign/signal of extraterrestrial life.
Of course, I could be wrong since NASA is known to operate under a cover story. They began doing this the same year of its formation, in 1958, operating under the cover of launching probes to study solar radiation during the DoD's Top Secret GRAB and CORONA reconnaissance satellite programs, and they also played a key role in the preliminary development of the Top Secret aerial reconnaissance program, the (canceled) Manned Orbiting Laboratory, following the termination of the X-20 Dyno-Soar spacecraft program. I wonder if NASA has established an interplanetary GPS and mapped the six-dimensional phase space of the Interplanetary Transport Network yet. I figured they would have used that data for R&D to to further advance/discover/exploit more natural space phenomena to better understand gravity and orbital mechanics.

edit on 30-9-2018 by M4ngo because: Spelling

edit on 30-9-2018 by M4ngo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Please look at your own post. It is just another theory. If you say you have evidence, show me hard evidence. Hard evidence is not story telling. Evidence needs verification. Basically, and after all, my post in MY WEBSITE (see the above post) disprove naturally formed basalt columns. If you refuse to see that post, I quote below just a small part of that post:

Added on Sept. 14: Questions about Basalt Columns’ Age and Formation Mechanism
Our Earth was formed around 4,600 million years ago. Since that time, Earth has produced huge amounts of lava, magma, and basalt. However, there is no basalt column older than 60 million years. Why didn't Earth produce basalt columns before 60 million years ago? Also, there is no basalt column younger than 10,000 years. Why did Earth stop forming basalt columns 10,000 years ago?

Furthermore, there is a huge amount of basalt on Earth. Why didn't most of basalt form basalt columns? Some people may say it takes a special kind of basalt to form basalt columns. Let's take Devils Tower for example. Devils Tower was formed with the rock Phonolite (note 1). However, phonolite also formed Missouri Buttes, which has no basalt columns at all (note 2). Why? Also, there is basalt on the top of numerous basalt columns (note 3). Why didn't the basalt form basalt columns?

All the evidences for man-made basalt columns are posted in the following posts: wretchfossil.blogspot.com...

Note 1: see en.wikipedia.org...
Note 2: see en.wikipedia.org...
Note 3: see www.flickr.com...

Added on Sept. 16: Horizontal Lava Cannot Produce Vertical Basalt Columns.
Volcanic lava is rarely vertical. However, “Basalt columns” are often vertical. Therefore, lava cannot have produced vertical basalt columns.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

You just tried to get rid of facts.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The theory is disproved in full and in details in this post of mine

It's not disproved, as you do not show any evidence of what you say, as usual, you just use your baseless opinions as facts.

One question: why would ancient humans make all those useless basalt columns? And how do humans make basalt?

PS: this will be my last post about this off topic diversion of the original topic.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

You just tried to get rid of facts.

Nope. I just object to you spamming your blog that is utterly devoid of anything that remotely supports anything you claim.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Please look at your own post. It is just another theory.

Yes, it's a theory, as nobody was there to watch it happening.

If you say you have evidence, show me hard evidence. Hard evidence is not story telling. Evidence needs verification. Basically, and after all, my post in MY WEBSITE (see the above post) disprove naturally formed basalt columns.
Your post in your site disproves nothing, as you do not provide any facts or even a theory, you just state things as if they are true.

If you refuse to see that post, I quote below just a small part of that post:

Where did I say I refuse to see your post?

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

a reply to: ArMaP

Our Earth was formed around 4,600 million years ago. Since that time, Earth has produced huge amounts of lava, magma, and basalt. However, there is no basalt column older than 60 million years. Why didn't Earth produce basalt columns before 60 million years ago? Also, there is no basalt column younger than 10,000 years. Why did Earth stop forming basalt columns 10,000 years ago?

Here's some possible explanations:

However, there is no basalt column older than 60 million years. Why didn't Earth produce basalt columns before 60 million years ago?

Perhaps the older ones eroded away or were subducted.

Also, there is no basalt column younger than 10,000 years. Why did Earth stop forming basalt columns 10,000 years ago?

Perhaps the conditions under which they can for are rare. 10,000 years is just a blink of an eye compared to 60,000,000 years (0.0167% of 60,000,000 years).

Given 60 Million years, there might be several examples. Given only 10,000 years (0.0167% of that time), there might be far far fewer for us to find, or maybe none at all.

edit on 30/9/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join