It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American Organ Transplant Patients Face Additional Hurdles

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's nobody else's problem if blacks as a demographic want to eat themselves to death, drink their livers to death and they're too chickens# to step up and be donors to help each other out. At this rate, are there any black people left who're healthy enough to ever donate in the first place? White folks' health problems aren't helping the collective sum of organs any, there's very limited numbers of organs to go around.
Want to see to it your cousins and homeboys have a shot at getting a replacement organ, too? Grow up, ditch the life-shortening "soul food", and be a donor, there's only so many of us (donors) out there for way more people waiting than we can ever help as our last hurrah.

Medical ignorance, nutritional ignorance, and selfishness is what kills you, not white patients.
edit on 9/23/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hell....if we are going all in then I'm pissed because of being a world minority to the Chinese....they make up a larger population than whites.

Wheres my damn kidney!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Wheres my damn kidney!!!!

In India. Though they've evidently been cracking down on that "buy a kidney" market over there.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Quote"I truly hope none of us here ever need an organ transplant -- I hope you never need it Sub.

But if you do, you'll find your privilege there. You'll be on the list a shorter amount of time and get an organ quicker."

There is a disconnect in the logic stated above. "You'll be on the list a shorter amount of time and get an organ quicker" these factors are due to compatibility only. If a black person on the list has a match to an organ they will get it dependent on their place on the list not their skin color.

If you believe this to be false please provide the statistics that show that for a given organ with multiple matching recipients of different skin color that the white gets the organ over the non white.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I remember when Walter Payton (football player) needed a liver. Everyone thought he'd get it FAST. He didn't. He died.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

White Privilege?

Being White guarantees a longer and healthier life?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm back. Thanks for all the comments folks, I was hoping to get a conversation started and hopefully get one or two people to think on this later, when they're away from the keyboards and less angry.

For those that have had someone on the list or have lost someone -- I have no words that can relay how sorry I am to hear that.

To turn back to the statistics in the OP -- it does not say that minorities are in greater need of organs, due to diet or drug abuse, as some have suggested, it says that there are less organs available to them. Everyone can get sick without it being their fault, or get in a car accident and need an organ -- the article focuses that once people do need an organ, there is greater shortage of them for minorities.

It goes on to explain that this is due to many reasons -- African Americans are less informed about the benefits of organ donation for one. Two, as they said, decades of uneven racial history also puts some races at a disadvantage -- unequal treatment from doctors and hospitals conditions whole generations to trust authority less.

It also says research shows that on top of that minorities are less likely to be listed on the lists needing transplants than the whites in the same low socioeconomic neighborhoods. That could be due to anything, I am not speculating the reason for this, but there is a statistical discrepancy there.

There are many people who need an organ and will never get it, regardless of their race. Not all white people get the organ they need.

But fewer black people do.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

there are a lot of doctors of all races. are you saying that the non white doctors are equally keeping the medical necessity away from minorities too?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Here

African and Asian organ transplants

Now , how about doing your own research just once before starting a thread.(or posting for that matter)
I have denied ignorance
Duty fulfilled

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So none white ethnic groups arnt getting organs because none white ethnic groups arnt donating their organs.
Did I get that right?

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Here

African and Asian organ transplants

Now , how about doing your own research just once before starting a thread.(or posting for that matter)
I have denied ignorance
Duty fulfilled

I live in the States, Gothmog.

I'm sure Europe has its issues too, but they have different systems and different issues and socialized healthcare.

When you try to put people down, you should check your links first.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
What a great useful thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join