It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American Organ Transplant Patients Face Additional Hurdles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

That, however, would place him in perhaps the least understood yet most critical category in a litany of health disparities between blacks and whites: According to federal data, blacks account for just 13 percent of the U.S. population, but they make up nearly 30 percent of the more than 114,000 U.S. patients waiting for organ transplants.

And although black patients comprise around 33 percent of those waiting for a kidney and 25 percent of those waiting for a heart, those in the racial group make up less than 15 percent of living and deceased organ-donor pools.

Experts say the low percentage of black donors is due to a somewhat unsurprising combination of factors, chief among them African-Americans' lingering mistrust of the medical field. It's the toxic residue, they say, of the nation's uneven racial history, which includes decades of discrimination and unequal treatment from doctors and in hospitals.

The chronic gulf between black and white organ transplantation "may reflect the differences in access to health care as well as other factors that disadvantage specific ethnic groups," says Scantlebury, associate director of the Kidney Transplant Program at Christiana Care, a regional nonprofit health care system based in Delaware.

But there are indications, Scantlebury says, that racial discrimination may play a role in access to transplant waiting lists: "Research also has shown that African-Americans in low socioeconomic neighborhoods, along with poor education (about transplants), are less likely to be listed for transplantation compared to whites in similar neighborhoods."

White Privilege?

Being White guarantees a longer and healthier life?

US News

Mods, I am typically verbose in my posts -- this one does not require it. Reading the article as opposed to my words will accomplish more.

edit on 23-9-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I don’t think racism is a factor in this

There could be many factors; less black donors, more black illnesses such as liver or heart disease, economic disparity, etc

But if white life expectancy being higher means white privilege, we know women about 6 years or more on average longer

So how will we start fighting this female privilege?

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

How the hell does black folk who don't trust the health industry equate to white privilege? Your words!

edit on 23-9-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Because it would seem, if you're white, you get the privilege of a transplant organ, even if no one is aware of that privilege.

Lower education may be an issue, fear of donating organs may be factor -- there may be many more unknown factors not mentioned in the article -- but until that changes, the fact remains -- being white offers a privilege of living longer and healthier, even if one is completely unaware of it.

One does not have to be aware of being privileged to be privileged.

Edit: I'm white.

edit on 23-9-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Im confused.
Why does it matter if blacks are donating their organs?
Can't a black man use a white mans kidney?

My drivers license has a organ doner heart on it but it does say that my part should only go to white people...

Did I miss somethings?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
puke

vomit

give me a fricken break

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Because it would seem, if you're white, you get the privilege of a transplant organ, even if no one is aware of that privilege.

Lower education may be an issue, fear of donating organs may be factor -- there may be many more unknown factors not mentioned in the article -- but until that changes, the fact remains -- being white offers a privilege of living longer and healthier, even if one is completely unaware of it.

So you are white and you hate yourself for being born white? You need counseling! Seriously, get help!

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

So you are white and you hate yourself for being born white? You need counseling! Seriously, get help!

I love being white, why shouldn't I -- we have so many things going for us.

You have an issue with not listening to people and what they say, and instead try to put your words into their mouth when you run out of thing to say.

Just pointing that out, I don't have a solution for you, something you need to conquer on your own.

Take it easy.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

You have an issue with not listening to people and what they say, and instead try to put your words into their mouth when you run out of thing to say.

Just pointing that out, I don't have a solution for you, something you need to conquer on your own.

Take it easy.

If I am the one with an issue, why did you feel so important enough to describe yourself as being "WHITE"???????

Virtue Signalling?

edit on 23-9-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Im confused.
Why does it matter if blacks are donating their organs?
Can't a black man use a white mans kidney?

My drivers license has a organ doner heart on it but it does say that my part should only go to white people...

Did I miss somethings?

Donating organs has everything to do with blood compatibility, so the organs don't get rejected.

You're aware races have their own set of medical issues, like Sickle Cell Anemia? While whites can have it, they have to be from a certain part of the world and carry those genes. Otherwise, Black people, Hispanics etc are more prone.

Blood needs to be a very accurate match during transplant and therefore it is harder to find organs for minorities.

Let's say we don't call it "White Privilege" and call it "Luck".

White people are luckier.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Blacks once again over-represented in comparison to their numbers?

Yeah thats gotta be racism.

Couldnt possibly be that their eating and health habits are abysmal making them both likely to need organs and also unfit as donors.

The racism comes in when you realize that blacks hate other blacks almost as much as they hate whites and out of selfishness do not opt to donate anything to anyone, least of all body parts.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

So black people are selfish assholes? Is that your intent on this OP?

You just said there is an inherent difference between black and white so why your reference to white privilege in a post about black people not being charitable enough to take care of their own? Racist?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

How do I go about getting on to this "white privilege" thing?

IDK, I think I might have originally filled out the forms incorrectly or something.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Doubtful...

Most likely it is a population thing , people who don’t sign donor cards because of medical mistrust and the fact that most occ the black population is low income, and low income people get way less testing to I know they need a transplant until it is “too late”, or the risk is now higher because of how late the diagnosis came.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Strange you still haven’t mentioned the female privilege that comes with them living longer

I am sure you decry this female privilege as well as the white privilege, correct?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It’s simple really, AA on aveRage have more chronic health diseases that prevent them from donating ie: hiv, hepatitis, ckd etc. there is also medical distrust in the black community. Pair very low donor rates with higher kidney disease and you get a lot of need without any supply.

link   

Well it sounds like white privilage is just white people being more generous to their fellow man.
Maybe black leaders should be trying to change black culture instead of blaming whites for their problems.
Ya know, stop killing each other, be an organ donor, etc, etc, etc,

link   
Double
edit on 23-9-2018 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

How do I go about getting on to this "white privilege" thing?

IDK, I think I might have originally filled out the forms incorrectly or something.

I truly hope none of us here ever need an organ transplant -- I hope you never need it Sub.

But if you do, you'll find your privilege there. You'll be on the list a shorter amount of time and get an organ quicker.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I knew someone that had to raise $100,000 to even get on the list for a donor liver transplant. That was many years ago, she died while her family, friends and community tried to raise the money, never got on the list.

She was white. I suppose that was privilege.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join