It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American Organ Transplant Patients Face Additional Hurdles

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks for reading and commenting folks.

I understand most members on ATS are white and do not believe in white privilege, so this thread is not meant to change anyone's mind, but it is meant to get you to think about it when you lay in bed.

People often post -- what is white privilege, post it for me!

Here's a great example. If you're white and in need of a transplant, you get to live longer. I don't know about you folks, but I enjoy life -- I look at this as a big plus, being able to live longer.

Be back in the evening.

(post by seeker1963 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

That is not white privilege
Or rather if this is what it is defined as, then the entire conversation and calls for feeling bad or apologizing for this privilege is worthless

This is a dumb and dangerous game to play

But we can keep going if you want

Women live longer which means there is women privilege so they need to acknowledge that

Black people are over 13 times more likely to kill a white person than vice versa

So I guess that is black privilege

Or there could be nuanced reasons for all of these things that has nothing to do with privilege or any fault or need to apologize or anything,

And dividing people into these groups and saying some are victims or less privileged is just a tool to ignore that nuance and divide everyone

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If your not a organ donor your shouldn’t even be on the transplant list at all what so ever period.
My opinion anyway.

Equivalent exchange.

Thought about it doesn’t check out.
edit on 23-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

White privilage
Gender pay gap
Unicorns

What do these myths have in common?
Oops, gave away the answer..

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

I understand most members on ATS are white and do not believe in white privilege, so this thread is not meant to change anyone's mind, but it is meant to get you to think about it when you lay in bed.

Here's a great example. If you're white and in need of a transplant, you get to live longer. I don't know about you folks, but I enjoy life -- I look at this as a big plus, being able to live longer.

Be back in the evening.

My aunt would have had a transplant by now if this was true.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
get more people in the black comunity to check the organ doner box

teach gang bangers to aim for the head

problem solved

the distrust with organ doner is not just a black thing even people in the medical community think donating organs lowers your survival rate if you ever are in a bad accsadent

no idea if thats true but many people think it is

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Be back in the evening.

This OP is Obama type propaganda! Gotta keep up the race baitin BS! Right?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Muninn

Be back in the evening.

This OP is Obama type propaganda! Gotta keep up the race baitin BS! Right?

This should be an automatic ban for the op.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Sounds like Black Privilege. Blacks don't donate, yet they make up a far greater percentage of the recipient pool than their population. Discrimination is illegal. Let's play a game. If you were up for a job or a promotion against a Black person of absolutely equal qualifications, who would get the job? How many education scholarships are slated for "people of color" only specifically excluding whites? In terms if crime, who is killing whom?

Hint:

"White Privilege" is last bastion of the liberal mindset because. frankly, they got nothing else they can bring up. If there really is "white privilege' out there, I'd like some, please.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I have a friend currently waiting to die from renal failure. Literally could be any day. We buried his daughter 2 years ago from complications of her own battle with renal failure. Both are white and both have been on a waiting list for years. So much for your white privilege theory.

There are a number of issues this so called study failed to address I am sure, none of which involve race. Many also suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure and or overweight. The biggest problem is a lack of donors, many reasons are related to the individual patients and have ZERO to do with race. Unless this so called study also takes into account these issues, then it is absolutely worthless.
edit on 9/23/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Don't believe in white privilege. I believe life is a bitch and then you die. Doesn't matter what color you are. Death doesn't care. Transplants have a lot of variables to them. It is up to the doctor if it is feasible or not.

edit on 23-9-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Now wait ...

White folks might live longer and be healthier but how much of that is because they make healthier choices?

I seem to remember a recent thread where a black woman was quoted in HuffPo about being upset that healthy food was made into "white people" food so she felt like she couldn't eat it or something stupid like that.

How much of that divide is an actual privilege and how much has to do with cultural choices?

Additionally, if you mistrust the health care system now because of what happened in the past, that is not a white privilege issue. That is still your own cultural problem. The white people and culture of today have nothing to do with your own hangups.

link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: seeker1963

Because it would seem, if you're white, you get the privilege of a transplant organ, even if no one is aware of that privilege.

Lower education may be an issue, fear of donating organs may be factor -- there may be many more unknown factors not mentioned in the article -- but until that changes, the fact remains -- being white offers a privilege of living longer and healthier, even if one is completely unaware of it.

One does not have to be aware of being privileged to be privileged.

Edit: I'm white.

So you are white and you hate yourself for being born white? You need counseling! Seriously, get help!

I love being white, why shouldn't I -- we have so many things going for us.

How do I go about getting on to this "white privilege" thing?

IDK, I think I might have originally filled out the forms incorrectly or something.

I agree!

I am half white, so once I heard about white privilege I was wondering if I could just get half of that check, or something.

I called my father and asked if I got half of a silver spoon in my mouth when I was born.

He hung up. Privileged white bastard... he was just hiding the information from me!

Looked around on the interwebs... seems I could get a check if I was NA (which is funny, Native American is the same as Non Applicable?) but the interwebs somehow knew I was a half-breed and hid the white forms from me.

Looked on Federal websites... seems that I could get a Federal job a lot easier if I was NA and a female, but dammit, they hid the white privileged paperwork from me too.

I even asked Welfare, which told me that if I identified as a NA then it was a lot easier to get a check. They too were probably hiding the damn white paperwork from me!

I finally decided that it was just too hard for me to get my White Privilege card.

PS.. since you actually got ahold of the paperwork, at least send me a copy?

Oh!

To the OP.. you seem like a good person with compassion and decent verbal skills. Why not post something better than that? Black people need more organ donors so it is the white man's fault? Whuaa????
edit on 23-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Im confused.
Why does it matter if blacks are donating their organs?
Can't a black man use a white mans kidney?

My drivers license has a organ doner heart on it but it does say that my part should only go to white people...

Did I miss somethings?

I knew of a white guy that got a black womans heart.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

I have a friend currently waiting to die from renal failure. Literally could be any day. We buried his daughter 2 years ago from complications of her own battle with renal failure. Both are white and both have been on a waiting list for years. So much for your white privilege theory.

There are a number of issues this so called study failed to address I am sure, none of which involve race. Many also suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure and or overweight. The biggest problem is a lack of donors. Unless this so called study also takes into account these issues, then it is absolutely worthless.

Well I hope your friend pulls thru! Even though you and I both know it doesn't have anything to do with the color of their skin!

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Im confused.

My drivers license has a organ doner heart on it but it does say that my part should only go to white people...

Did I miss somethings?

So he can claim he is minority!!!????? Awesome!!

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Im confused.

Did I miss somethings?

So he can claim he is minority!!!????? Awesome!!

Suppose he can dance now?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It was up in one of those mountain states. Like 20 years ago now. It was a relatives partner at work. Relative said dude loved eating watermelon after that. I swear to Google, I'm not making this up. Maybe it was just in the dudes head, but there are neurons in the heart. I'm sure he was greatful. Now to joke: was that cultural appropriation, or maybe genetic appropriation?
edit on 23-9-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Can black people not accept white people organs? I thought we were all one race! Shouldn't they be compatible?

Anywho....who cares? If you decide not to donate it is your choice. What about moms that cant have babies but want them and moms that can have babies and abort them?

RRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join