It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are preparing for?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I know some of you on here are najor doomsday preppers. Im just curious. How far have you gone? Just a few supplies, full blown bunker under your back yard?

Also what are you persinally prepping for? Asteroid, ww3, aliebs etc?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

I like to have enough supplies on hand to last maybe a week. But I use those supplies if I think they're getting to their use-by date, then I resupply. My "prepping" has to do with knowledge of the land/geography, where to find fresh water, and where to find food. I've always been pretty adept in fire-starting and shelter-making, but I occasionally read up on certain aspects from time to time.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Being in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, where it's "not if but when", I have an off the grid system, that I am still working on now. Basically I'm off the grid, minus internet and some more powerful electric but working on off the grid type system for it. From garden food, to storage of food and more.

Been a prepper type forever being born and raised in hurricane alley also learned a lot bout that being Inland Northwest as well where prepping is popular although the area is safer than the west coast for the most part--minus the Yellowstone Caldera and/or it's fallout zone.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Being in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, where it's "not if but when", I have an off the grid system, that I am still working on now. Basically I'm off the grid, minus internet and some more powerful electric but working on off the grid type system for it. From garden food, to storage of food and more.

Been a prepper type forever being born and raised in hurricane alley also learned a lot bout that being Inland Northwest as well where prepping is popular although the area is safer than the west coast for the most part--minus the Yellowstone Caldera and/or it's fallout zone.

So you have a bunker?

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

No, but I wish.

Lot less complex than that.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Do you, as a prepper think you'll ever have to use it.

Im starting by learning ham radio

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I only got a few weeks of canned goods and rice in a storage area. I have begun the process of bulking up on activated carbon. It makes part of the filtration process in my old marine reef tank, and I learned it is very good at cleaning the water up when filtered properly. It is used in our municipal water supplies actually as part of the filtration process.

I have a spot in two different states depending on where I am in the country when zombies strike. No matter where I am in the USA, I can drive to these safe spots within 24 hours. One is a very off the grid spot out west. It is currently 85% sustainable on its own for water and power. Probably should drop some more money into it just to get it to 100. It does seem zombies could have been a possibility of the evacuation of the observatory in New Mexico recently.

The other spot is here in Florida, in an urban environment actually. It is an extremely conveniently located neighborhood here in my city where three families I have known since I was a child have a shared bug-out plan with multiple contingencies and backup rally points to establish a zone of control.

My primary avenues of concern are clean water and weapons. I can grow and raise food, I do it already on a small scale. Plus I mentioned I do continue to add to my canned goods and rice.

Within our zone of control there will be a line of contact a safe distance from the first neighborhood access. Anyone attempting to force pass our checkpoint will be destroyed. Pedestrians will be treated on a case by case. But any automobile will be swiss cheesed swiftly without hesitation.

Yea, so thats the basic summary without being to divulging. I suspect most of the people who stay behind in the cities have not created such a plan. Hopefully most of the idiots go out into the wild like they always say they will and save me the trouble of having to put them down as competitors to resources when they die of starvation.

I personally believe it best staying behind with the alliances we have made and trying to keep the system running, or evolve it into our own.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Winter.

From what I understand...it's coming.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I don't prep as much, as I master various types of flow.

Prepping is about nouns; it is acquiring things, and depleting your stockpile when an emergency erupts.

Flow is about verbs. Now, You get the things you need currently from grocery stores and gas stations and online banking. Mastering the flow means I control the process that brings me the things I need. When the social machine's systems collapse, I step in with the mastery of other systems.

A poor man cannot prep much, but he can manipulate flow.

I have a couple of months of food for my humans stockpiled. (Prepped). I also have chickens, with enough grain stored that I can mix feed for them through until spring. So I don't have a stockpile of 6 months of eggs--instead, I control egg production for my people for 6 months, with no help from the machinery of society. I have a flow of eggs.

I have a capped-on-one-end steel pipe, on a cable, that I can use to draw water from my well if the electricity goes down. So my well will continue to provide, even if detached from the electrical grid that is provided by the social machine. Flow, again.

I live next to a large public land, with a huge bounteous crop--berries that no one picks but the birds and deer. We carried home a bushel (60 lbs) to dry and can and cook pies with. The hikers watching us pick them asked, "what if those are poisonous?" I just laughed and named the berry. Those hikers were carrying 1000 $ each in hiking gear, and probably $100 each in MREs. But they wouldn't eat from the free berry forest they were hiking through. I guess they never had a grandpa to teach them what to eat in September in the woods. They were all prep and no flow.

What do I plan against?

The collapse of complex society. With possible triggers like a pandemic, hackers on the grid, coronal mass ejection, or the coming American war projected for AD 2021 (due to the preponderance of American boy babies born in 2001/2002--the most male over-represented birth cohort since 1845/1848--the generation that fought the US Civil War).

Even if none of that happens, I still enjoy the art and study of flow. Harvesting honey, picking berries, going hunting for next year's meat. Laying out and back-digging next year's garden. Fishing and making our own cheese. Making my own rifle. That's the best stuff in life. Flow a crisis never comes, so much the better.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Just included to my supplies Iodine capsules. Why not.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The zombie Apocalypse, I got my bug out bag, sword, bow, extra arrows, rations, and everything else ready. I think it will finally happen, and likely soon, very soon, all signs point to it.

Maybe even after trump is elected for another term, there is good odds the zombies of all types will go all appocolipsy then. And when it happens, I will be so ready for it. Unlike the rest of you chumps.

And if not. Well? Here's hoping for asteroids or something.
edit on 3amFridayam212018f5amFri, 21 Sep 2018 03:08:33 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

You should make some bullets also or stock up on them also. Sounds like you got a lot of stuff, and like the first place the zombies will hit. Zombies like people with stuff and guns but not a lot of bullets. Also chickens and eggs. Yup, chickens and eggs, are almost as delicious as brains to zombies. Sounds like you got a perfect place for zombies to pilfer.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   
i think what leads you during a catastrophic event is luck.if you are the leading actor, you dont die that easy. if you are a side role you may die before reaching the bunker.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Prepping is such an over used word. I am a child of the early 60’s, I well remember A bomb drills and civil defense shelters. I was taught duck and cover in grade school. We live 25 miles from the Oak Ridge nuclear weapons plant. Instead of prepping we call it being practical, with East Tennessee’s history of tornadoes, forest fires, and ice storms. We have a home standby generator and both of our dally drives are 4 wheel drive.

I do have a storm shelter in the back yard. It contains fresh clothes, MRE’s, water, weapons, medical gear, booze, blankets, communication gear and other items of importants that we may need in the event we loose the house. We could go into the shelter with nothing and somewhat comfortably sit out a storm or attack and come out with what we need to bug out to our next stop. All of our weapons are standardize to the same type of ammo, .40 caliber for the hand guns, .556 for rifles, and 12 gauge for shotguns. Before anyone ask, ammo is not a problem.
We have three additional cache’s of supplies complete with weapons close bye. One is portable and has limited solar power capability (500 Watts).
The next stop for us is our cabin in the Cumberland mountains about 80 miles away. At the cabin I have similar stores of provisions as well as near unlimited spring water and a solar power system (1500 Watts) for electricity, the heating is with wood. The forest has game and fish in the river. It’s farming/cattle country, food abounds. We also have the most important resource, friends.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
I know some of you on here are najor doomsday preppers. Im just curious. How far have you gone? Just a few supplies, full blown bunker under your back yard?

Also what are you persinally prepping for? Asteroid, ww3, aliebs etc?

G'morning. Some thoughts to add that we 1st Responders discuss in training.

Prepping is fine...recommended...and necessary. But something is gravely overlooked and understated, or missing entirely in discussion.

To WHAT end are you preparing? To survive? To live awhile longer? To hunker down in your bunker while the world outside rages, pollutes the land, water and air?

While the rest of the world is beating at your retreat, coming to be let in...beating your walls for all those things you have and they don't...to have food, shelter water, weapons even....are we all SURE we want to survive for a month? Three months? Take your family to the hills with all those unprepared at your heels?

If you want to find disaster prepardness lists and great survival ideas...they are out there. Preparing is good....but to remnants of society that no longer exists or is on its way out?

Please discuss this with your friends, families, neighbors and co-workers. Discuss just WHAT and WHY you're surviving. It may be so horrible, non-sensical...that it makes sense to not want to put you and your families thru it...just to die anyway.

Mankind is the human condition TO survive. But 1 week, 3 months or even 1 years worth of supplies and knowing how to get more food by hunting and fishing...may be pointless if you can't get away far enough, and the animals are gone, air and water spoiled....and the rest of our world outside is ready to take everything we have.

Sobering thoughts on an early morning. Be prepared.Talk to everyone about what kind of world you may not be expecting...and that no matter what you do...it could very well be pointless...and in some cases? You may not want to....

God bless everyone....Prepardness lists are at the link provided.
www.ready.gov

MS/1st Responders
EMT/ERT
Advanced Disaster Life Support
edit on 21-9-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Got my mind and two good hands. Everything else is bonus.

BOB lists and INCH bags are fine. Even something like that Stealth Angel kit that was over advertised on FB for a while. Hint: It is only a larger version of the Altoids Tin kits, which were pared down sardine can kits before that. I suspect a rise in mollie pouch kits as the next fad.

But what kits and gear really are is tools to make things easier. Paracord is light versatile cordage, premodern so you don’t have to spend time making your own immediately. How immediate? Shelter is a high demand item very high on the list of things to do. But it doesn’t have to be a log cabin right off the bat. Shelter may very well be the clothes on your back for the time being.

Practice is the best prepping item you can do to be prepared. Better to learn to cook over a fire now when it doesn’t matter that you burnt your steak to a crisp, than when you finally caught a fish after a week on a string tied to a stick. A string that you had to make from cattail leaves that would break or simply fall apart until you figured it out.

Materials for gear are abundant. Empty a public trash can and I bet I can find at least ten things worth taking if I needed to make something. Soda cans and soda bottles being very high on the list. So too bottle caps, a cassette tape (harder to find nowadays), loose change, plastic containers, dead Bic lighter, newspaper, cardboard boxes. Lots of handy stuff that you may need or not need.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I got sticks and stones for world war 4?

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Ummm...I have a huge bunker complete with laboratory under my house guarded 24/7 by a most vicious fanged guard called Spot...

My house is located at 1313 Mockingbird Lane...

We're the only normal people in the community...the rest are pretty scary...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Interesting question. We are fully stocked with 1 Years supply of food; we have our own source for water and a generator such that we can power our residence.

What are we really prepared "for"?
At the top of my list of concerns are: 1) Pandemic and 2) Solar event taking down the national grid or a major portion thereof. Pretty much everything else such as massive civil unrest/martial law, etc. flow from these two events.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join