It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Il-20 shot down near Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Russian defense ministry has reported that they lost contact with an Il-20 that was approximately 22 miles off the Syrian coast, returning to Hmeimim airbase. The aircraft carried 14 people. There was a report of an attack on Latakia Province, possibly around the same time that the aircraft went missing.

The Il-20 is a turboprop used for multiple missions, from ELINT, to tracking space based objects. The Il-20 is the military version of the Il-18 passenger aircraft.

The Il-18 airframe served as the basis of the Il-20 ELINT / reconnaissance platform. Aircraft in the IL-18 family which bore separate designations included the IL-20M ELINT, the IL-20RT space tracker, the IL-22 airborne command post, the IL-24N Ice reconnaissance aircraft used to support commercial shipping operations in the Arctic regions. The Il-20 ('Coot-N) was first observed in 1978 and features a variety of antennas, with a large ventral canoe presumed to contain a side looking radar. Blisters on either side of the forward fuselage are another obvious external feature.

A further modification was the Il-20DSR though little is known of the nature of its upgrades. In 1973, four additional aircraft were built as Il-20RTs to act as communications and radio-relay aircraft, these however were later superseded by an Ilyushin Il-76 variant.

www.globalsecurity.org...

A Russian Il-20 aircraft went off radar near Hmeymim airbase in Syria Monday evening, coinciding with an attack on the province of Latakia.

The Russian Defence Ministry reported that the Russian Il-20 aircraft went off radar near Hmeymim airbase in Syria. The plane carried 14 servicemen; their fate is unknown.

Syrian northwestern city of Idlib.
© AFP 2018 / MOHAMED AL-BAKOUR
US Not Ruling Out Strikes on Russian, Iranian Targets in Syria – Reports
"On September 17, at about 11 p.m. Moscow time [20:00 GMT], the communication with the crew of the Russian Il-20 aircraft was lost when it was over the Mediterranean Sea, some 35 kilometers from the Syrian coast, on its way back to Hmeimim airbase," the report said.

sputniknews.com...

There are now conflicting claims that it was shot down. At least one source says either Israel or France shot it down, while another says Syria accidentally shot it down, trying to engage incoming missiles from the sea.

www.news.com.au...
www.cnn.com...

edit on 9/17/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/17/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The only way that's tied to an attack on the airfield is if its the Israelis...and that seems bold, even for them.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Sources are now saying that Syrian forces accidentally hit it trying to engage incoming missiles.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Possibilities are:
*Israeli's shot then down in self defense during the Latakia attack
*Syrians shot them down by mistake
*Mechanical failure (all too common lately around the world)
*They got MH370'd

Do you have any theories Zaphod? Cnn trying to say the Syrians did it by accident. I think the Israelis did it in self defense when the Russians attempted to defend against the attack with Syria.

Of course, at the end of the day, it will just be another mechanical failure due to poor maintenance schedule. amiright?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

There was no reason for Israel to shoot it down. It's an unarmed intelligence aircraft. It most likely was targeted by accident, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
if that plane's purpose was to assist making those Israeli jets easier to target and see, than of course the Israeli's would shoot it down as a threat. I would shoot it down as a threat if it was casting a spotlight on my activities. And technically, it would still be self defense.

Survival means them or us. Thats what the pilot has to believe if he is to survive.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The Il-20 was no threat to F-16s, and never will be. It's designed to gather electronic signals. It's similar to the US and UK RC-135, and is as much a threat to F-16s as it would be to Su-27s. They've been used in the area to eavesdrop on ISIS and rebel communications, and build an electronic order of battle.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
if that plane's purpose was to assist making those Israeli jets easier to target and see, than of course the Israeli's would shoot it down as a threat. I would shoot it down as a threat if it was casting a spotlight on my activities. And technically, it would still be self defense.

Survival means them or us. Thats what the pilot has to believe if he is to survive.

I doubt it, Russia has allowed Israel to get vengeance on Iran after Iran sent a drone into Israel and shot down one of their jets.

Russia and Israel aren't allies, but I don't think they're enemies. Netanyahu and Putin directly communicate and compromise quite a bit.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Never mind, already answered
edit on 17-9-2018 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

That's the most likely scenario IMO. Wrong place, wrong time.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Everyone read the 3rd post down....

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Can you help us understand what may be happening in this brief observation from a civilian in the area?? Is it a failed interception?? It's from the events which unfolded recently related to this incident.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I thought the Israelis had a thing for shooting up ELINT collectors?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Looks like it might be an incoming missile, possibly launched from an aircraft. The way it curves down at the end of the flight looks like it was correcting down onto the target. A failed SAM would go more or less in a straight line, or detonate before hitting the ground.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

From Jake Morphonios twitter

CIA front #CNN says #Syria "accidentally" shot down #Russian military plane during #Israeli missile strikes. But #Syria says "our system is connected to Russia air defense which detects friendly planes, Israel struck it".

This would make sense to my civilian brain, but I don't know. Thoughts Zaphod?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What's that light to the left of it before it corrects?? I thought that was a slow interceptor that couldn't hit maybe going too slow??

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The Il-20 was no threat to F-16s, and never will be. It's designed to gather electronic signals. It's similar to the US and UK RC-135, and is as much a threat to F-16s as it would be to Su-27s. They've been used in the area to eavesdrop on ISIS and rebel communications, and build an electronic order of battle.

Wonder if they one just over the horizon back with that little Russian PMC/Syrian forces getting their nose good and bloodied a while back?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Cough USS Liberty Cough

That was a sordid affair.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

With the agreement they have with Russia right now, they'd be stupid to do it again though.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

re: USS Liberty. Yeah, that was. It also looks like, from what I understand, something of a fsck up and the Israelis realized it shortly after.

www.thedrive.com...

The Russians are suggesting it was a *french* frigate. oh gah.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join