It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Coast Guard member 'removed' after making 'offensive' OK sign on live TV

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

I’m sorry - was he actually diving or in the water when he made the sign?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

And what you point out there spans not only these hand gestures but the overall questions of communications across not only generational chasms but cultural and educational gaps as well. And I have no solution to this at all. What is happening is one thing that is barely understood but what to do about it is way beyond that.

For all the pissing and moaning about the PC culture I find that in attempting to communicate with the anti-pc culture is just as difficult. There are things that cannot be said to them without pushing their buttons as well and the reactions seem very similar as the PC people.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

It's not funny, really. 

No it's not really, especially if some innocent person uses the ok sign in public and unwittingly offends the wrong person and becomes a victim of this insanity.

That is true.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

They haven’t removed everyone in that industry for doing it. I think context is important, and we just don’t know the full context here.

Uhh yeah hes the only one who did it on camera

Was he always a fine, upstanding man, well-respected by his peers and superiors, with no history ever at all of doing or saying anything that could be considered racist? Or, was he someone who had a reputation of making racist comments, with his peers complaining to their superiors?

Doesnt matter its a hand sign thats ingrained into every diver.......period .Even if it wasnt what difference does it make, its the "ok" sign

I feel like the lefts brains have fallen out.

We don’t know. Before we go off all half-cocked over some tweets, maybe we should realize that we may not have the proper background context here.

No what I do know is its absolutely not racist, and the fact that crackpots are trying to make the "ok" sign racist, lets me know the left has completely lost their collective minds.

Not a little bit, not maybe eh .....COMPLETELY

And the fact youre actually trying to defend this BS lets me know you have to

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

As a person who when not running my business in Texas, or actually even when I am, I can tell you i probably give this sign daily multiple times.

And when im diving, EVERY TIME.

You guys have lost it

Tell me youve never given the "ok" sign, i effing dare you
edit on 15-9-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: Muninn

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Liberals, is this the America you envision? One where a hoax turns people who want to be victims and sjw into vigilantes ruining the lives of normal people and disparaging their character?

PC culture is out of control, where does it end?

www.foxnews.com...

Yes, it is the America we envision.

It is not only a part of our extreme PC culture, it is our entire plot to take over the world and make no mistake about it, we are out of control. We will bombard hand gesture-making people with very critical and rude comments on social media. We will say not nice things about you and we may even write a stern email to their superiors about the need for those hand-moving miscreants to learn what it means to act professional, especially when they are representing the US government/military on live television.

It is our nefarious plot, make no mistake about it.

Be scared...

Quoted for a refreshing display of honesty.

I suppose I am not surprised.

It takes someone quite "special" to believe I was being serious.

NOBODY takes you seriously, NOBODY.

Excellent!

That means that I do not have to live up to any of your standards. I can keep pushing my evil Leftist agenda towards it's nefarious, yet delicious, final conclusion.

Whatever you do, do not use the ok signal.

We will be watching, waiting to post a pic of it on social media. Our Facebook fiends will share it, and your life wil; be ruined by the power of Zuckerburg...and Greyskull.

Using the ok symbol excuse does not add up in the situation. Since when does one have to covertly use the ok signal. They do not. If it were the case he was wanting to put forth a sign of things being ok then he would have just looked at the camera and do the gesture like a normal person.

He was definitely trying to make some sort of gesture when he knew he shouldn't.

Maybe he's an alt-right guy trying to troll people. Maybe he was calling his superior an asshole.

I don't know. Not sure I care either.

This is complete Bullcrap

Hes a Coast guard guy.

Hes a diver, has to be to be qualified, has to dive, has to be able to signal outside of his drop.

Im a diver, open water, rescue, and cold water...........do you know how INGRAINED this signal is into us?
We have to give this signal EVERY TIME we go down to let everyone know all is ok.

When he jumps from a chopper or water craft hes TRAINED to give this signal if he is ok, because MOST of the time if youre in a rescue situation you cannot HEAR or communicate once in the water other than hand signals.

Give me a fking break man

Im usually with you on measured stuff, but get the hell off it!

Was he jumping from a chopper? Was he diving?

What would explain the apparent nervousness he exhibits when making the signal?

Again, I'm not sure what he was doing, but I do not think it's a big deal.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

No. Simply more distraction and "resistance" crap.

These persons are working long, long shifts. Not an 8 Hr day.

I have worked with the organizations during disaster relief, most recently Houston, Tx, and I went inland from the coast to help with Harvey.

When you are tired, and lights come on to shoot a news cast near you it is distracting. The 'officials' want a working scene behind them...a stage.

I can see a human response, elbow to to desk, hand up support head. I do the same out of habit. Indoors, I still reach for sunglasses and my reading glasses, despite I wear contacts at times. It's an attempt to adjust glasses.

My wife saw the video, said I do the same when reading and tired.

If the press wants to look at details, look within and stop this madness.

Mg

Sure. I appreciate yet another anecdotal account, but it does not explain exactly what he was doing.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
I have complete confidence that they will inquire as to his intentions if any and get to the bottom of it. From what i know of the USCG they do not tolerate racism.

No one rubs their ear like that no matter how ok they are.

There was nothing racist about it.

Period...

You seem to be very wound up on this topic.

There are other opinions besides yours that are just as valid at this point.

I do understand fully what you say about divers but not all members of the guard are divers and without knowing his mos i really can not firmly reach the point you have.

One thing i do know is that if true there is racism involved most can not hide such after being called out. They will figure it out.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

And what you point out there spans not only these hand gestures but the overall questions of communications across not only generational chasms but cultural and educational gaps as well. And I have no solution to this at all. What is happening is one thing that is barely understood but what to do about it is way beyond that.

For all the pissing and moaning about the PC culture I find that in attempting to communicate with the anti-pc culture is just as difficult. There are things that cannot be said to them without pushing their buttons as well and the reactions seem very similar as the PC people.

Each side has their own brand of PC and they get outraged at the other over the dumbest things.

This topic is silly and waste of time, no matter what he was signaling.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Yeah because its the absolute bottom of the barrel BS and a man who was there HELPING people was removed because of it.

Not a single person on this thread, defending this action or not can say they havent given the "OK" hand sign.....give me a break.

Yeah im pissed, because a man was removed from doing good for other people because the left has lost its effing mind.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

stop it, ive seen your posts, youre an intelligent individual, you should in NO way be defending this or making excuses.

Do NOT go off the cliff with the rest of them

nervousness? I dunno, we dont know what was going on, but to try and project onto it is folly , hes in a position hes trying to help multitudes of people there we dont know whats going on.

Stop man.........come on
edit on 15-9-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

In front of a camera? While not looking at the camera, or anyone in particular?

I don’t have a twitter account, and I’m sure that even if I did, I wouldn’t have tweeted anything about it, even if I thought he meant something negative. So, no, I haven’t lost it. But I’m telling you, if he was always a great person with no history, the Coast Guard probably wouldn’t have done what they did. They would have defended him by explaining that this guy is super terrific and he was displaying a common diving sign to his Coast Guard brothers who might be watching. The fact that they were so quick to dismiss him tells me they may have had some problems with him in the past.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm surprised 4chan hasn't made all of ASL some racist meme yet. When I was little, we had a deaf farmhand, and my dad made us learn ASL so we could "talk" to her. Now, that was almost 30 years ago and I can barely spell out my name anymore, but just imagine the damage some moronic chan meme could do to the deaf community. There's a lot of odd gestures they could latch on to to screw people over with.
edit on 9/15/2018 by Nyiah because: Borked the Italics tag. Fixed it.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Tell me youve never given the "ok" sign, i effing dare you

Yeah, in the proper context. If I’m looking at someone and I want them to know all is well, I would either do the thumbs up or the “ok” sign - while I am looking at them. And I would do it in front of me, not the the side of my head while looking somewhere else. Come on, that’s just weird.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

"This is a frustrating distraction for the Coast Guard during our hurricane response. This person has been removed from the response pending an investigation. These types of actions are not reflective of the core values of the Coast Guard."

This has more to do with lack of professionalism than PC culture , I don't see why it's worth getting upset about but I suppose Fox have their agenda to run.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

a reply to: howtonhawky

Yeah because its the absolute bottom of the barrel BS and a man who was there HELPING people was removed because of it.

Not a single person on this thread, defending this action or not can say they havent given the "OK" hand sign.....give me a break.

Yeah im pissed, because a man was removed from doing good for other people because the left has lost its effing mind.

You seem biased and unable to see other points. There is more to the story always.

Again i have faith that the uscg would not throw the man's career down the drain for some petty bs even if he comes out and admits he was gesturing negative stuff they would not kick him out over it if he is willing to do what ever remedies they suggest. Kicking him out would be a last resort and totally on his shoulders if found guilty.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I just did.

Not sure what you did not read in my post.

Mg

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I´m also a diver and you have no clue.
Crews also do the OK sign, most of the time as a question towards the divers or to give them the OK on a so called drift dive, where the boat navigates backwards to your position and both you and the boat are drifting in the surface current. To not get shredded to pieces by the screws on the back that are literally just a meter away (3 foot).

And countless other things.

So please don´t try to spin this, the whole think was based on FEELINGS nothing else. You are dead wrong and I think you know it. You´re just defending your kind.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

In front of a camera? While not looking at the camera, or anyone in particular?

Ok.....so lets use logic here.

Hes either a horrible human being who is a racist and wanted to make a statement to all his racist friends with the hand gesture.

Or there was a camera and he gave the "A- ok" handsign as a gesture that stuff was fine....

What kind of stupid brain tricks do you have to have to come up with the former, and on top of that, come up with some crazy arse backstory to his character and history, to try to justify it?

Christ.

Some of you leftist cant even call BS when its BS anymore, you have to find some crazy brain gymnastic reason to justify it to fit in your reality.

I thought better of you than this, i honestly thought you had the ability to say "yep thats pretty much bs" when you saw it, but now I realize you cant.

You will cram anything you can, any way you can, with any size stick, to any tiny box, to make a narrative fit.

Pathetic

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Well they don't have to worry about that anymore.

I am taking the power out of the symbol and reclaiming it as a symbol of everything being alright.

edit on 15-9-2018 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join