It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I just skimmed through a lot of it, I did see mentions of increased solar activity along with people talking about the link I posted earlier from NASA.

There still is not any real information coming out, just speculation and most of it is about the sun. The thing about it being a solar event is if that is the case, we might as well kiss ourselves goodbye. If that's the case, I'm not going to even worry much about surviving it, what would be the chances of not being irradiated.

A solar flare cannot wipe put humanity. Just stop with that nonsense. Do some research. Learn about things.

Large asteroid or comet might.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Yes exactly.
A strong solar storm can certainly take out the power grid. It has already done so on smaller scales.
A widespread outage for days or weeks... or even longer... would cause chaos and loss of life.

It can also collapse the atmosphere as could an incoming energy wave of other kinds, such as from Novas.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I tried contacting Mr. Castillas (finally the proper spelling) and was forced to leave a message for him on voicemail.

The man probably has more important things to do than return a call from a guy writing for an online science magazine, but you never know.

If he calls, ATS will be second to know.

I swear...if I hadn't already taken my vacation for the year, I'd take a 20 hour road trip just for the hell of it.
I just don't understand why the situation is so hush hush. If it's lack of funding, it is what it is...no need for Apaches and clandestine CIA-type nonsense.
It's "security" reasons. The locals there need to band together and start making some noise. I'd want to know if my family is at risk from this "security" issue.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

somehow it goes between the camera as it passes behind and in front of the earth.(so they say)

It... wha?! Orbital mechanics don't work like that when it's an object going around another object in a circle! It starts off at point a, goes in a circle around B, and returns to its original position at point a- IN A CIRCLE. It's the whole swing something attached to a string thing everyone does! It just... *gets confused and a headache*

I think I need a drink.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Maroboduus

A solar flare can indeed wipe out humanity. If large enough, it could wipe out a big portion of the ozone layer. UV rays could become damaging enough to wipe out all plant and animal life on the planet.

We'd starve in a year.

While very unlikely, it's still possible.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny
It's possible they found something regarding a planned dirty bomb or other agent in the area, with a sympathizer working in the lab.

The only hole I'd see is the fact the place looks utterly abandoned, even to the point the local news drove up to the stop sign and panned the camera around. No feds, no movement, no NOTHING. Not so much as a blind fluttering when the camera is pointed in the general direction of building windows, and not so much as someone ambling out to meet the news crew.

I find that... odd.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy
a reply to: Maroboduus

A solar flare can indeed wipe out humanity. If large enough, it could wipe out a big portion of the ozone layer. UV rays could become damaging enough to wipe out all plant and animal life on the planet.

We'd starve in a year.

While very unlikely, it's still possible.

I stumbled across an article while checking on this stuff dated September 1st ( will try and find the link) from a science web site or blog. Stating there were unusually high gamma ray bursts coming from the sun, while they weren't considered dangerous, they were larger than ever recorded. Article basically inferred they are monitoring to see if its a precursor to something else solar related.

www.devdiscourse.com...
edit on 11-9-2018 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Do you have a link to the newscast? I only see the videos that one guy filmed and put on imgur.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Local recently commented on the observatory facebook page's most recent post (not the pinned post):
www.facebook.com...
From there I was led to a post he had just publicly shared on his own page:

Can’t stand the conspiracy theories being circulated on the internet right now about Sunspot. As a 15-year former resident of the observatory, I offer to you the following FACTS: 1) Although the observatory runs under the auspices of AURA (the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy), operations of the National Solar Observatory have long since CEASED on the telescope. Any current research operations are being funded and utilized by New Mexico State University. There is only minimal NSO staff employed working at the site now and their full time focus is in continuing shut down operations in Sunspot. 2) There are minimal residents of Sunspot anymore. For that matter there only remains one NSO maintenance employee and his family plus a handful of support staff from NMSU living in housing. Most housing was vacated by former NSO employees (myself included) more than a year ago (and in some cases 2-3 years ago). 3) Radio astronomy has never been a “focus” of research conducted in Sunspot. Current data from the Dunn Solar Tower (if any) belongs to NMSU. 4) AURA operates under the auspices of the National Science Foundation, a federal agency. Therefore any kind of “investigation” or threat would be considered Federal, thus the FBI. 5) Although there is a moderate “G2” geomagnetic storm being reported at present (see: www.spaceweather.com). This is NOT necessarily an anomaly. These storms happen. Which is also why solar astronomers study the Sun. 6) Solar science has successfully been conducted in Sunspot since 1949. There has not been a full-time resident NSO solar scientist at the observatory since early 2017. 7) The phones are not being answered in Sunspot because the site is VACATED. (No conspiracy theory there.) 8) Any Mercury “spill” would fall under the auspices of OSHA. Mercury used in the Dunn Solar Tower is housed in a sealed turret at the top of the telescope and is monitored. 9) You Tube, the Internet and other non-fact based hypotheses are not based on scientific thought. Check your sources people! 10) Rumors of “aliens,” “alien contact,” etc. are nothing but nonsense. Hell, we even circulated a few of these funnies just for the laugh. 11) Official information should be released from AURA directly. 12) Finally, I want to add that there are many former residents and employees of the National Solar Observatory that are just as “in the dark” as the regular public. Making up disparaging comments about the science, the mission, and the community of Sunspot is not only repulsive but ignorant. We were once a proud little community with the best solar scientists in the world. The contributions of Sunspot and the National Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak will continue to influence solar science for DECADES. As the former President of the Sunspot Community, I will always be a PROUD Sunspotter and like others would like to know the cause of such a closure. But I’m not willing to sit by and allow pseudoscience, and rumors tear down a legacy of scientific research. Please stop circulating non-verified FACT.

New around here and don't want to potentially dox or something, apologies if my breadcrumbs are too vague.
edit on 11-9-2018 by ToasterBorst because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

somehow it goes between the camera as it passes behind and in front of the earth.(so they say)

It... wha?! Orbital mechanics don't work like that when it's an object going around another object in a circle! It starts off at point a, goes in a circle around B, and returns to its original position at point a- IN A CIRCLE. It's the whole swing something attached to a string thing everyone does! It just... *gets confused and a headache*

I think I need a drink.

Just trying to help here:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Side note- absolutely no reason to worry about flares or CMEs, if they observed one serious enough for the FBI reaction we would all be without power and nothing w a circuit board would be working. The big ones travel faster than the small ones. Being the raid happened 6 days ago we are absolutely in the clear from any solar event that could've been observed before then.
So at least we have that going for us!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I’ve been kind of leaning towards something like this for a bit now. Hanlon’s Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. That said, I’m open to all sorts of crazy ideas and I still find the whole thing about as captivating as anything in recent memory.

It is a little odd that the same state had the 3 ‘extremist Muslim’ New Mexico compound suspects released after judge drops all charges story the 29th aug.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 898929

www.youtube.com...

It has the news segment in question in there. While it's the usual conspiracy fodder, it does have the news on it. which I found interesting.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 321cya

*scratches head* I thought the sun observer sats were locked in an orbit? Kind of geosynchronous, but facing the sun- and far enough away that interference from the moon wasn't supposed to happen, either.

Is everything I've read just wrong...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Data missing on all SECCHI satellites plus huge object showed up

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ToasterBorst

This seems logical....however.... My teo biggest issues with this being because of a plannex or expected shut down are 1) why issues a statement saying it was because of a security issue? And 2) if a shutdown was planned or expected why spend the last few years making "upgrades" and why JUST open a "giftshop" recently... Both are listed on their own website. Not saying that rules this out, just doesnt make sense. Plus, if this was a standard closure shouldnt the employees be aware that they no longer have jobs? Allegedly they were "evacuated" so quickly they didnt even have time ti get their own stuff...Why not tell local law enforcement in an effort to quell any rumors if this is such a mundane event? Why initially request back up from local law enforcement for a "security threat", and still give them no details.

Just like the attempts to link it "extremist muslims" is absolutely absurd, I dont buy this explination any more than that... Even though this coming from the former president of the community has a bit more validity than someone just spouting bigoted/rascist thoughts online, it just doesnt explain it for me.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

That's a huge jump to something completely unrelated though, simply because it's in the "same state"?
"terrorism" of any kind just doesnt seem plausible at all in this scenario

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

I think I need a drink.

I think I'll join you there

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
a reply to: 898929

www.youtube.com...

It has the news segment in question in there. While it's the usual conspiracy fodder, it does have the news on it. which I found interesting.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This person says data missing here too.

helioviewer.org uses the image from 9/6 for the 7th 8th and 9th. We have an information blackout for those days. Choose 13:20 hrs to see that the info does not change for three days."

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join