It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meanwhile, at the Mall...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Gosh, different worlds. There is no legal age limit in the UK for parents to allow their kids to drink alcohol. It is allowed so long as it does not harm a child. Sounds crazy yeah, but it's true. Having a few drinks is legal and part of growing up for UK kids.
The age 16 thing only applies to bars, a parent in the UK can allow a child of any age to drink so long as the child does not suffer. Your 'kegger' party thing is weird because young teens in the UK expect to be able to drink at house parties. There is no mistique about the drinking, no 'cool parents' getting down with the kids, it's just legal here and what people do.

The 'cool parents' thing is alien to me, we're all 'cool parents' because the law allows it. We don't treat young people like babies and have them sneaking off somewhere vulnerable to drink. They are part of the party, and it's a good thing.
I understand now why people in this thread have no connection with young people, you treat them as a different species so no wonder they rebel and you cannot relate to them.
Fight for your country 18, drink at 21, it's #ing nuts as far as I see it.

EDIT

Don't seek to impose your culture on the US because it's not the same.
Don't seek to impose your lame US culture on the rest of the world either. Carry on disconnecting with your young people because you treat them like babies if that is what you want.
That breeds school shooters in my mind, and I'd suggest your nations attitude towards young people is a major contributing factor.
edit on 2-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Nope.

This attitude goes back to the teetotalers and the beginnings of the Progressive Era. It shows what happens with the government decides it must protect you from yourself. In this instance, the women's temperance movement joined in. You're talking about activist ladies like Carry A Nation. They'd go in and actually wreck bars violently.

This was forcing morality down people's throats and it echoes what we are seeing going on today with SJWs and their groups and tactics.

The end results as Prohibition and the Volstead Act. The 18th Amendment was repealed by the 21st, but the Volstead Act was never repealed and only allowed to be modified by the states which is why we have the legal legacy around alcohol that we do today.

And with drunken driving and other factors like it, government has stepped in to once again start trying to save us from ourselves. They've several times used the leverage of withholding federal highway funds to force states to raise the legal blood alcohol levels in their respective states, for example.

So because of that differing legacy, responsible parenting with alcohol is much different in the states.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Don't seek to impose your lame US culture on the rest of the world either. Carry on disconnecting with your young people because you treat them like babies if that is what you want.
That breeds school shooters in my mind, and I'd suggest your nations attitude towards young people is a major contributing factor.

And here I thought we were making progress!

You do what works for you, but you are the one telling all the rest of us that our parenting style is lame and that we're a bunch of overly controlling fuddy-duddies. Who'se imposing what on whom?

I'm the one saying that you can relax and enjoy things with your kids, but at the end of the day, they need to recognize you as the authority figure in their life until they're really ready to do it on their own.

My kid is just getting ready to be 8 in a couple of months. I suppose I should let him drink whatever, whenever, eat whatever, whenever, go to sleep whenever he wants to regardless of school the next day, etc.? Oh, and buy him whatever he wants.

You know, all those things would make his buddy and his friend, but they'd also make him one spoiled, undisciplined brat.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sounds like 19th century Britain to me lol.
Kids drinking at parties here is a right of passage, and it is legal.
Bar drinking aged 16 is also a right of passage (with a plate of fries and a responsible 18 year old), it teaches our young people how to behave in adult environments.
We have 'lock-ins' in the UK when bars shut the doors at the local licencing times, but the blinds come down on the windows and the ashtrays come out on the bar.
I took my son to just such a lock-in when he was 16, yes, another right of passage. The only rule is that whoever is responsible for the 16 year old keeps them well behaved.

Honestly, I think the way you guys in the US treat young people is a big cause of your problems with young people going off the rails.
No wonder they rebel if the adults are saying 'no' all the time and acting like you are suddenly 'mature' because you are 21.
Die for your country aged 18 in combat, but can't buy a drink? The US is a laughing stock in the world for that.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I replied to your line...

Don't seek to impose your culture on the US because it's not the same.

Don't get your panties in a twist, you said that to me first and I replied.
And yes, I think the way you treat young people is ridiculous. Go to combat aged 18 but can't buy a drink until 21.
Go on, defend that with a straight face.

EDIT
I left home aged 16, working and living independently. No wonder your young people shoot up schools n stuff the way they are treated like babies. I'd rebel if I was a young person in the US.
Such a shame you cannot connect with your young people, but no surprise seeing as you seem to think that connecting is being a 'cool' parent.
Lame as #, young people are just people, and in the UK they are allowed to learn how to be adults before they turn 21.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

They are learning from mommy how to ensnare a successful asset owning male and then dump him and grab his assets through divorce. Easy ride in life.

The low lifes who promote such theft and laziness through sex should receive extra-judicial beatings

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

A watered well maintained hedge is a gardeners delight - o wait wrong thread, I mean wrong garden

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
LMAO! Young people can't even consent to sex in some states in the US until age 18 so the girls the OP mentioned don't really apply to your comments. It is a crazy country full of old bastard fuddy duddies who think you can die on the battlefield aged 18 but can't have a drink until 21.
Laughing stock of the world.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Laughing stock of the world.

While I agree with you that we can teach young adults responsible drinking at a younger age, I think you are getting yourself twisted up over your argument.

You have no idea what’s up the pike for the UK, and with a larger amount of Muslims entering the political arena, you could be looking at far stricter laws concerning drinking and how one dresses in public.

Who will be the laughing stock then ?

I realize most Muslims are moderate and not a threat to your ways, but it only takes a handful of the extremists in the key positions , and things could be very different for your country.

edit on 2-9-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
Hahaha!!! Do you only read the Daily Mail or something???
Funny as #!

Muslims are 5% of the UK population and they are not a problem outside of #hole council housing estates in places like London.
Their Sharia law will never apply here, heck, outside of major cities you will be lucky to see a Muslim. Your reply genuinely made me laugh out loud because it is so ridiculous.
...and yep, the US is the laughing stock of the world the way you treat young people like babies. No wonder they shoot up schools n stuff, they must be really confused.
Brit kids are allowed to develop as adults from age 16 when they can legally leave home, as I did. US kids seem to be treated like babies.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

and yep, the US is the laughing stock of the world the way you treat young people like babies. No wonder they shoot up schools n stuff, they must be really confused. Brit kids are allowed to develop as adults from age 16 when they can legally leave home, as I did. US kids seem to be treated like babies.

Oh yes.. Brit kids are far superior in developing to adulthood than their western counterparts. ( how many are shooting junk in their viens as we type ? )

What a load of rubbish ! 🙄

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lol, not many young people use heroin, the drug of choice these days is coke or MDMA, get with the times dude.
...and again, your Muslim comments were ridiculous, and yes, the US is nuts when you can die in combat but not drink until 21. You really are the laughing stock of the world.
My son has travelled independently round the world and the only reason he hasn't gone to the US is because you boring old bastards won't let him get a drink at a bar until he turns 21.
No wonder your young folk feel disenfranchised and shoot schools up. You don't see that # going on in Britain.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Lol, not many young people use heroin, the drug of choice these days is coke or MDMA, get with the times dude.

First off, I’m a dudette 😏... secondly, if “brit kids” have the advantage of being raised better , why are they indulging in Coke and MDMA ?

Why do you yourself not drink ? Weren’t you raised to respect alcohol and indulge responsibly ?

Oh, I’m not American either, just have a personal beef with anyone who calls another country the laughing stock of the world. Just don’t ask for American help when you need it most.. and you never know when that could be.

But heh.. thanks for showing us what a true a** you can be.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Firstly 'dude' is gender neutral, like 'actor'.
Second, I only drink at special occassions. I was alcohol dependent for a while in my life and went through the whole withdrawal experience, hallucinations and everything, it was wild. But what relevance that has to my comments I can only imagine lol.

Third, the US is the laughing stock of the world if it lets their young people die at the battlefield but denies them a drink at the bar.
Go on, defend that specific point with a straight face, you can't.

Forth, how about argue points without childlike insults? It only makes you seem like the young people you wish to wrap up in cotton wool lol.

EDIT
Second (again), MDMA and coke are recreational drugs the same as alcohol is. Young people do it in the UK for fun, same reason people drink champagne, for recreational reasons...they are not shooting schools up though. That is a solely US thing with their confused young adults who are treated like babies in a way UK young people are not.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Forth, how about argue points without childlike insults?

😆😂... oh.. the irony 🙄

I guess your superior Brit upbringing regarding alcohol didn’t prevent from alcohol addiction in your life... so your whole point is moot.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Lol, your comment seemed totally unrelated to the quote about you and childlike insults.
My point is not moot. The UK with its liberal alcohol policy has about the same levels of addiction as the US per capita.
Please, debate like an adult, and perhaps defend the death on battlefield thing but can't buy a pint at the bar thing.
Go on, defend it, don't ignore the laughing stock of the world situation it actually is.

edit on 2-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo mute-moot

EDIT
I actually met a young US sailor at a bar years ago in Plymouth (UK) he could drink legally here but not in his home town. Absolutely ridiculous, no wonder US young people are confused.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If you read my first post carefully, you would have read that I don’t always agree with the law and its age requirements ( I think drinking should be lowered and service age should be higher)

The issue I have with you is your moral superiority in regards to other countries.

I’m done debating with you.. have a nice day.

( who calls everyone dude ? Lmao .. how old are you ? )

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Absolutely ridiculous, no wonder US young people are confused.

Pffft... and young brits are so clear and level headed in comparison. 🙄

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I'll take the piss out of other countries all day if they deserve it (combat ready but can't buy a drink lol absolutely ridiculous), grass me up to the mods if you don't like it dude.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Absolutely ridiculous, no wonder US young people are confused.

Pffft... and young brits are so clear and level headed in comparison. 🙄

When was the last UK school killings by students?
Lol, google it and get back to me.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join