It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meanwhile, at the Mall...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I left home at 16, I was working and living independently covering my own life. Everything I knew or felt then was pretty much the same as what I feel now, I haven't learned much in the decades since, just accepted that many people are pricks who think they know it all. I laugh at the same childish things I laughed at when I was 16, and I cry at the same things which made me sad even today.

So basically you haven't grown up! I would be ashamed to say that I had

learned nothing in decades.

You members who 'know it all' like you are grown ups are the actual problem in my opinion. You think young people should conform to your standards etc. I say that is bull# and you need to look in a mirror..
So what if someone wears their pants hung around their arse? So what if they wear shorts which show their arse cheeks?
Just #ing look away and stop being a judgemental prick.

Young adults are a massive part of my world, from my own child to the children of my friends, they bring vibrancy and an alternative view where it is often needed. You old 'stick in the mud' folk are the problem.
II would hate to have my life tribe filled with the average ATS member spouting their vitriol about young people. You wouldn't fit into my world of parties and fun.
Boring bastards would be the term I would apply to most of you.

You do realise there is nothing more embarrassing and pathetic than a parent

trying to be one of the 'kids' the best buddie, dad dancing and all that.

The point of being a parent is BEING THE PARENT..... NOT trying to be their

best friend, they already have one of those.

And who told you that growing up meant becoming lame and useless as a friend to young people? Who wrote the rules, papa did? mama?

I think you were tricked and lost a lot of fun and good memories because someone lame turned you into the same thing and now you are forcing your idea of how an "adult" must be because you can't deal with reality and the fact that you lost a lot of good things in your life because of lame ideas.

Sorry for you but a parent is not a ridiculous f*ckd up human being that can't understand anything and yells like a fool every time something is not done they way they like. That's just a fool with kids

A real parent knows how to bond and really be there, not just indoctrinate like an idiotic robot based on what the grand parent said and has to be obeyed because that's how it is and the old man says so.

Ridiculous. You talk about growing up and you look worse than me lmao, at least i can see it. I promise i won't become someone like that, i will do my best to not fall so low

I wonder if you know the difference between an adult with knowledge and a dumbass with authority
edit on 2-9-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Some parents are like friends, some more like prison guards and some mean and some caring. The variations are there just like shoes for fitting the feet. Would you argue over what shoes eachother wear?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

I will give you this; for being Russian, you speak English pretty darn well.

I don't necessarily agree with some of your opinions, but you articulate them very well.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: JinMI

everything wasnt better in the 70's

[snip]

And it's making a comeback... EWWWW! Great in Playboy but not in person.

I'm pro 80s trim and I've even gotten used to the 90s ... yeah that.
edit on 3-9-2018 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH
And who told you that growing up meant becoming lame and useless as a friend to young people? Who wrote the rules, papa did? mama?

You're very quick to take umbrage aren't you?

Firstly let me explain I was addressing another members post therefor not

personally referencing anything about you!

Nobody told me anything about growing up there really are NO rules......

But I have experienced it in person so I do have some actual experience.

I think you were tricked and lost a lot of fun and good memories because someone lame turned you into the same thing and now you are forcing your idea of how an "adult" must be because you can't deal with reality and the fact that you lost a lot of good things in your life because of lame ideas.

No worries on that score, I was never tricked into anything I had wonderful

parents and a full and wonderful exciting life, which I know some of my

peers never experienced.

I am forcing nothing on anyone, but I do have the experience of being

an adult I think you have another year to go before you are considered

by law an adult.

Sorry for you but a parent is not a ridiculous f*ckd up human being that can't understand anything and yells like a fool every time something is not done they way they like. That's just a fool with kids

No need for you to feel sorry for me, and I am certain where as that may

be SOME parents it certainly isnt ALL parents IMHO.

A real parent knows how to bond and really be there, not just indoctrinate like an idiotic robot based on what the grand parent said and has to be obeyed because that's how it is and the old man says so.

Is that based on your opinion? or personal experience.

From my viewpoint its your parents generation seem to be the ones

producing the special 'snowflakes'

Ridiculous. You talk about growing up and you look worse than me lmao, at least i can see it. I promise i won't become someone like that, i will do my best to not fall so low

I'll take that as a compliment you are little older than my great grandson

I wonder if you know the difference between an adult with knowledge and a dumbass with authority

More to the point Do you?

edit on 2-9-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

What is that...the 'High Speed - Low Drag' look???

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
When does a child become an adult can anyone here answer me that?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I am right there with you, buddy.
I even remember her song from mortal Kombat. (Yes, she released music).

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I will give you this; for being Russian, you speak English pretty darn well.

I don't necessarily agree with some of your opinions, but you articulate them very well.

I would also like to give kudos for a great conversation.

I think parents have the greatest influence on their children through everyday living and actions, not through words. It is how they treat others they come into contact throughout a simple day. If they treat others with kindness and respect or hostility and impatience. How they drive and behave in traffic. If they are calm and courteous to others or if they are in a constant rage with verbal hatred tossed out like candy. Maybe parental words spoken to have their children behave or act in a certain way is almost useless and possibly causes the opposite result. Or something that boils down to teach through actions, not words.

I don't see why people get upset when a person chooses to live by themselves in solitude. As long as you are self supporting and self sufficient, the quest for self discovery should be encouraged. Maybe instead, the people who think living by yourself is scary and negative, should question their own fears.

I kind of have high hopes for the next generation that is starting to reach adulthood. They are scolded for being lazy and unmotivated, but by what standards? Why should they go out and sell their soul in this world that was built before they came along. How is the working environment currently? One of honor and integrity or one of constant stress and corruption for money?

One thing is for certain, they will change the world through their non participation. For good or ill, change is on the horizon and I for one can't wait to see how this flower blossoms.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: StallionDuck

What is that...the 'High Speed - Low Drag' look???

Exactly that! lol

Didn't have a creative way to say it - until now

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Normal standards? When they're 18.

My standards? When I'm dead and buried!

My more liberal standards? When she's married and not living under my roof.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

A child becomes an adult when they're able to handle all the responsibilities of life on their own -- earning their way, paying all their icky responsible bills, understanding that some things are more important than the latest and greatest gadgets or cars, handling their adult relationships without flaming out, etc.

That means the kid in his or her parents' basement is still a kid IMO.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Firstly let me explain I was addressing another members post
Pity you didn't reply to my post though, I was actively criticising pretty much most of what you and others said.
Your line here was pretty pathetic...

You do realise there is nothing more embarrassing and pathetic than a parent trying to be one of the 'kids' the best buddie, dad dancing and all that.
I have always had a laugh with young adults, my child and my friends children. They are an important part of our life tribe. Maybe you feel like a boring old bastard who can't relate to younger people?
I actually feel sorry for you if that is the case.
Dad dancing, give me a break lol, you old stick in the mud boring old people, I'm glad I haven't caught your elderly disease.

edit on 2-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: fix quote tag

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Riddle me this BatMan.

Is the real problem how they dress, or how you choose to view them?

I see young girls in skimpy clothes. You see #ing whores.

Think about it.

Call me when they're totally naked and sucking dicks in the food court for the whole world to see.
Even I may have a problem with that.

(But possibly with only the sex part. I can look at people naked without getting aroused, because I understand that 'everybody has one')
edit on 2-9-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: added something.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

There's a time and a place to be a parent and time and a place to have fun with your kids.

There's nothing worse than a parent who tries to be trendy and cash in all the "cool" things in order to be a pal with their kids and his or her friends.

Now a parent who can relax with the kid and his or her buddies and enjoy some cross-generational things like sports, or games (all kinds, even video these days), or food and movies, etc., is a different thing.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I'm cool with anything young adults do which doesn't harm themselves or others.
You sound like the old stick in the muds I was referring to.
But then you are American though and you call 18 year olds kids. Pathetic really.
You can fight for your country but can't legally buy a beer...that speaks volumes about your nation and how you treat young adults.

edit on 2-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I am thinking about those mother/daughter pics where you are asked to try to tell the two apart.

Or where the parents are "the cool" ones who host kegger parties for all the teens.

It's one thing where I decide that my kid is old enough to maybe have one when we're watching a football game together, and it's another to let him buy a keg and bring over every other kid in the neighborhood and give them a place to chug it down and play frat party.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've never heard about mother/daughter pics questions, must be a US thing so I don't know what that is.
Drinking parties though, our kids have been at dance parties on beaches and moors all their lives, they are part of growing up. My 20 year old son is a householder, stable, earning good money, and spent most of his childhood asleep by campfires while adults partied and danced. You may think your way of bringing young people up is the right way, but it is not the only way.

Britain treats young people differently, they can drink alcohol aged 16 in bars so long as they have a plate of fries as well and are accompanied by someone over 18. We don't have this silly distinction of 'kids' and 'adults' as you do once people become 16. If they behave themselves then they are a welcome part of the event.
Maybe US kids rebel because you treat them like a different species?
No wonder they drink on the sly if you ban them from enjoying time with adults. I know one thing though, I'd be happier with the way it is in Britain that our young people are safe enjoying time with adults and learning to be adults, instead of them sneaking off to the beach doing the same but vulnerable because there is no adult supervision.

Treat your young people like babies, no wonder they rebel against you.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

That's just it.

You live in a country where it's legal at 16. We do not. There are certain places where you can drink legally at 18, but most of them are confined to a small part of southern Louisiana.

Don't seek to impose your culture on the US because it's not the same. If you host a party loaded with alcohol (a kegger whose object is for the participants to get loaded), you are incurring serious legal risk just to appear cool for your kid -- drunken minors, drunken driving as kids leave, all the various poor choices made when kids are drunk, all the liability you assume for other parents' kids, etc. It's another thing to decide that the law is maybe a bit strict and introduce your son or daughter to a social drink at home during a football game or a during a family social get together. IMO it achieves the same purpose with far less risk of anyone running afoul of the law and CPS and lawsuits from other parents.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join