It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"...not everyone who gets their period is a woman..." Reality or Mental illness??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This topic is getting a lot of attention. People are still debating whether gender dysphoria is a mental illness or not. The World Health Organization (WHO) at one point did classify it as a mental illness, but later removed 'Gender Dysphoria' from the list of mental disorders, sometime in 2018. Why did WHO do this?

The WHO expects this move to help remove stigma and make transgender people more socially acceptable (although this idea says something about people with mental illnesses not being socially acceptable). In turn, removing stigma could help to reduce violence against trans people, says Vanessa Victoria Crespo, counsellor and advocate at the New York City Anti-Violence Project (AVP).

www.refinery29.com...

Hey, I get that some people are confused on who they are and struggle to be comfortable in their own skin, but does that mean they don't have a mental illness? I've been suffering on and off again from anxiety and depression for many years and it's no picnic. However, I realized that I had issues and seeked professional help and counseling. I deal with my depression, by taking medication and working out. I've never cared less about being 'stigmatized' or what other people thought of me, when they found out I had some 'mental' issues. I just wanted to be well. So, tell me, is this a 'well' person who made this statement?

I am a nonbinary trans menstruator ― someone with a uterus that bleeds monthly, but who identifies outside of the fixed categories of male and female. Because of that, I have to navigate the challenges of getting my period every month in a world that refuses to acknowledge that not everyone who gets their period is a woman, and not every woman gets their period.

The representation of periods in the media has never matched the reality, but that’s even more true when you’re a trans person just looking for something that doesn’t scream, “You’re a W-O-M-A-N.”

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I really am sympathetic to this person's viewpoint and struggles, but the fact is, she is a woman. It's my opinion and that of many Americans, that transgenderism is a mental illness, because trans people are manufacturing their own kind of reality, complete with their own set of pronouns and identity labels. People should not be treated with contempt, just because their lifestyle is different than someone else's. They should be free to do whatever they want, as long as they don't disrespect or hurt anyone. Personally, I could care less with a woman who dresses and acts like a man, or a man who dresses or acts like a woman. They're free to live their life as they choose. That shouldn't mean that I should be viewed as a 'bigot' or a 'hateful' person, just because I feel that they're suffering from a mental illness. Why should I be forced to use certain labels for them and be viewed as "disrespectful" if I don't? Certain transgender people want people to "ask" them what pronoun to use, when they are addressed. But, what if I forget to ask, or mistakenly call them by the wrong pronoun. Why do trans people view this as being rude or disrespectful, when it was just an honest mistake, from someone confused by this whole concept?

If you must ask which pronoun the person uses, start with your own. For example, "Hi, I'm Alex and I use the pronouns he and him. What about you?" Then use that person's pronoun and encourage others to do so. If you accidentily use the wrong pronoun, apologize quickly and sincerely, then move on. The bigger deal you make out of the situation, the more uncomfortable it is for everyone.

www.glaad.org...

Shouldn't adults be treated like adults, or instead like emotionally weak, little kids whose feelings get hurt easily? How about addressing them by their name and if you make a mistake with their pronoun, why can't this be viewed simply as an honest mistake, instead of a sign of contempt? I believe author, Ryan T Anderson, nailed the problem with the following statement:

But we lose the ability to effectively call out bigotry when all disagreement is condemned as bigoted—and when lies are told in the process.

As I explain in “When Harry Became Sally,” contrary to the claims of activists, sex isn’t “assigned” at birth—and that’s why it can’t be “reassigned.” Sex is a bodily reality that can be recognized well before birth with ultrasound imaging. Cosmetic surgery and cross-sex hormones don’t change the deeper biological reality.

www.theamericanconservative.com...

This is exactly what I and many Americans believe, but we're considered "disrespectful" because we simply disagree. Anti-trans bigotry exists and it's wrong. You should still treat all people with respect, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to accept every cock and bull story out there. If you can't accept that you have a mental illness and instead blame other people and the body you were born with, for all your troubles, then maybe, just maybe the problem is inside your head.
edit on 8/24/2018 by shawmanfromny because: forgot a word

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

So if it is my opinion that the genetic makeup of a person determines their sex, does that make me a geneticist?

So I can put that on a resume?

Yes!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thank Jeezus I identify as a pint of beer. Everybody loves me.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

On the one hand, I understand how the trans person feels. Stigma, bullying, cognitive dissonance, suicide etc. could arise from gender dysphoria. Society should do its best to accommodate and welcome them.

But on the other hand we cannot simply dismiss biology. Men do not get periods. Men do not menstruate.

I don't think we should label it a mental illness for the very reasons the WHO states. But we should come up with clinical language that doesn't dismiss, obfuscate or politicize basic biology.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

edit on 24-8-2018 by neo96 because: never mind

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This will not matter in 50 years or when ever genetics allows us to grow a tail... or switch sexes.

I say that only because if scientists make a immortality pill then after like 500 years you might want to check out how it is to be the opposite sex.

Don't mind me I am just Imagining... Was this off topic?

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

On the one hand, I understand how the trans person feels. Stigma, bullying, cognitive dissonance, suicide etc. could arise from gender dysphoria. Society should do its best to accommodate and welcome them.

But on the other hand we cannot simply dismiss biology. Men do not get periods. Men do not menstruate.

I don't think we should label it a mental illness for the very reasons the WHO states. But we should come up with clinical language that doesn't dismiss, obfuscate or politicize basic biology.

I don't think the term "mental illness" dismisses, obfuscates or politicizes the topic in anyway. I believe it sheds a little light actually.
Quad

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Some of us have no interest in switching sides.

God made us this way.

Had to be for a reason.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
All roads on this subject lead of Transgender inevitably lead to the global elites cross road vision of producing Human being 2.0 - Trans human.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Ever think that some of our problems are caused by people thinking the concept of GOD is nothing more than a fairy tale?

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Anyone that thinks a man can become a woman by dressing like one, or using frankstein science to make superficial changes is living a fairy tale.

DNA.

No one can argue with it.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

I don't think the term "mental illness" dismisses, obfuscates or politicizes the topic in anyway. I believe it sheds a little light actually. Quad

Just to be more clear, I meant that the term "mental illness" causes stigma, as the WHO suggests. What dismisses, obfuscates or politicizes the topic is the attempt to abuse the terms of biology to remove the stigma.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To answer your question OP, clearly mental illness.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
(Checks calendar) Yep, it’s about time for another “Transgender people are a bunch of crazy freaks” thread. I could set my watch by you guys...

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
LOL.

Obamas legacy.

JFK put a man on the moon..

Obama put a man in the womens restroom.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn’t make you a chicken.

- Fight club

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
(Checks calendar) Yep, it’s about time for another “Transgender people are a bunch of crazy freaks” thread. I could set my watch by you guys...

I can't remember does that come before or after the crazy gun owners threads?

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I can't remember does that come before or after the crazy gun owners threads?

I’ll make you a deal: I will categorically state right here that gun owners, on the whole, are not crazy, IF you will categorically state right here that transgender people, on the whole, are not crazy. Deal?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join