It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Lane - Now Cat 5 w/ Hawaii in its crosshairs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

In that case, I hope you enjoy the drama, without over much reason to be concerned.

If nothing else, natures fury is majestic, if occasionally brutal beyond the capacity for enjoyment!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Heh.

I used to really like storms.

Then I became a homeowner.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

What do you think a top wind speed of sixty some miles per hour, will do to your house, damage wise?

I mean, thats not strong enough to pick up significant debris, so your roof should be ok at least.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

If you have power to turn on the stove. (Unless he has gas).
Nothing sucks worse than smoked coffee from water boiled on the outdoor grill.
Camping is one thing. Weeks without power is something else entirely.
Here a lot of people have electric driven wells. They don't even have water after some storms.
But again the storm is forecast to weaken and only the big island is at real risk with only watches for Oahu or Maui.

What island are you on Phage?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Like pineapples.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

A steady 60 mph should be ok.

If the direction stays anywhere from east to southeast I'll be ok. But there is a dramatic mountain range to the west of me. When the wind starts coming over that it gets really nasty. Gusty and turbulent.

So far the forecast is ok on that count.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

And sloppy with rain and waves.
Of course the Kahuna riders will be out on their boards like they do in Virginia when a storm comes near.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I'm on Oahu and I don't really care for pineapple.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I don't really care for pineapple

Oh that's a shame Phage. can't make a Pina Colada without it lol.
I stayed at the Princess Kiulani when I was there. All that Koa in the lobby. Hawaiian regal.
I am wishing you a good outcome.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Me too!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Extreme weather brings people out to witness it. I don't think you'd be surprised how many people the police have to chase off of the beach.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: pheonix358

What happens when all the rain that is coming hits the lava?

Steam. But not as much as when the lava hits the ocean. As it was, before the activity greatly subsided a few weeks ago. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm concerned and paying attention to the storm. Got water and canned chili to last for a week or so.

Thanks for your concern.

And a heat source to heat up the chili (lava).

At this point, I'd have said *honk* it, and have found a way off the island. Check the insurance, grab the pets, grab what you wanna keep, and bid "aloha".

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I expect from you a great example of how to deal with this kind of event but also a great coverage.

I know you'll make us proud !

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Flavian

Hurricane surf is crappy, in general. It takes a long fetch to produce a nice swell.

Well i've just learned something new.

Would have thought hurricanes were perfect for surfing waves, especially as whenever there is a Caribbean hurricane you always see the accompanying pictures of idiots running out to sea with their boards! Then again, not much call for surfing the North Sea (my local one) so not something i really know anything about.

Good luck to all in Hawaii though. Such a steep land plus seriously heavy amounts of rain = not a good combination, without taking the wind speeds into account.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Whatever happens, stay safe and be diligent

I was born and raised on the East Coast New England. More Nor' easters than I can count! They were totally cool when I was a kid. No school, cooking in the fireplace, sledding down the middle of the road. But now as a home-owner (like you said) surrounded by 80' pines they're not so cool anymore.

The last one that ran through us was the most destructive storm I'd ever seen in my 49 years living in this area. There was no way out for anyone as hundreds if not thousands of massive trees were down everywhere, taking all of the power lines out. Trees weren't just toppled, they were ripped directly out of the ground and tossed... no reported tornadoes but after seeing the damage I have a hard time believing that. People died in that storm and we were without power for two weeks or so. Luckily we have a generator.

I love storms and hurricanes... the power of nature is amazing. However, I'm hoping for a calm Winter this year and I'm praying for Hawaii. Maybe it'll just skirt right by you!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wow!! I went on the windy app and it looks like Hawaii will be on the right side ifnthenstoemnthe whole way and then it will go right over the last island ... !! ... I'm sending positive energy and prayers to Hawaii , as I'm still homeless from Irma and dealing with that hurricane deviation one year later ... so stay safe Hawaii and be prepared.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Oh wow. Stay safe Phage.

I'm a native of Miami. So we see hurricanes frequently and are always preparing.

Make sure you have a gallon of water per person for about 5 days. You can bleach your tub and fill it full of water as well.

If you have a grill make sure you have plenty of charcoal or propane.

Bring everything inside from your patio that could be a projectile.

Fill up some water bottles 3/4 of the way and freeze them. It will help keep your fridge cold longer.

Links.

www.prh.noaa.gov...

www.prh.noaa.gov...

www.prh.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

How quickly did you guys run out of spam at the grocery stores? I kid, but these things are really no laughing matter when they are this large.

I still remember the great tsunami scare back in 97. Or maybe it was 98, I don't remember. We had just moved to Oahu not long before, and I was pretty darn worried. I think it ended up in the 2-4" range?

I was in Houston during hurricane Alicia back in 1983, no power for about a week. No air conditioning in Houston during August is certainly not fun. Of course we didn't have air conditioning while living in Kapolei, but I have to say that Texas heat and Hawaii heat are two entirely different animals.

Stay safe, and hope you receive minimum damage to your property.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Not at all.

The fact is, I love being out in bad weather, the worse the weather, the better. Snow, rain, wind, lightning storms... I love walking on the coast during a storm, even though I might get knocked over by an errant wave or spray from the sea wall. It doesn't matter to me in the least! I love crazy weather enough to take the odd risk here and there, but of course, I always prepare best as I can, so the risks are limited. They are also limited by the weather of course, which in Britain is rarely dangerous in and of itself.

In fact, the last time we had severe winds through town it was sustained winds of about sixty, with gusting up to eighty miles per hour. The weathermen said that we ought to all remain indoors and not travel. I went for a walk with a friend, and caught some of the weather effects on video instead. Fast moving air is no threat, unless it tops out at a much higher speed than that, and although there is a risk from trees giving up and falling over, the other risks to life and limb from such a wind are practically zero, especially if you have your wits about you, and good situational awareness.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Good luck...an safe climate for you all in the Hawaiian IsIands and elsewhere. But with the recent surge in the number hurricanes and typhoons in the pacific --- Does it possibly signify a harbinger of change in relation to global warming?

I think it does...
edit on 22-8-2018 by Erno86 because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join