It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Lane - Now Cat 5 w/ Hawaii in its crosshairs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Hey everybody - I will keep this thread short and sweet. It looks like Hawaii could be at risk, with a developing/intensifying storm barely down at it... Lets hope it turns away. I have quite a few friends who live out in Maui & Oahu, and they mentioned how worried they were. Grocery stores have already ran out of supply's, and people are struggling to get off town (by flights).. Going to be a scary 36-48 hours as this storm makes its way near Hawaii.

Hurricane Lane strengthened to a Category 5 storm late Tuesday with maximum sustained winds of 160 mph as it moved closer to Hawaii, the National Hurricane Center said. Hawaii County, also known as the Big Island, is under a hurricane warning, meaning hurricane conditions are expected in the next 36 hours. Oahu and Maui County, which includes the islands of Maui, Lanai, Molokai and Kahoolawe, are under a hurricane watch. A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the next 48 hours. As of 1 a.m. ET, Lane was located about 375 miles south of Kailua-Kona, on the west coast of Big Island, and about 535 miles south of Honolulu. On the forecast track, the storm is expected to move very close to or over the main Hawaiian Islands from Thursday through Saturday.

CBS News

ABC News

The Weather Channel

I will add more info as it continues to develop along.
edit on 22-8-2018 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

That is a big dangerous storm.

I hope the residents can stay safe.

What happens when all the rain that is coming hits the lava?

An interesting fight between two of Mother Natures champions.

P

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

What happens when all the rain that is coming hits the lava?

Steam. But not as much as when the lava hits the ocean. As it was, before the activity greatly subsided a few weeks ago. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm concerned and paying attention to the storm. Got water and canned chili to last for a week or so.

Thanks for your concern.

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Rice and beans will last a few weeks longer...you are the mighty phage...don't tell me you didn't prepare,

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Rice goes without saying. In Hawaii.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Ok...I was worried,bout you for a min there. You're a vet here at ATS...if,you didnt have a proper bare minimum I'd have been a little frustrated as I called friends to cover you,

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Your concern is appreciated. From my outlook, Kauai seems to be in the most severe danger now though (again).

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Are you near where this Storm will hit?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

So far the only place it is sure to "hit" is the ocean.
But it is going to get windy no matter what.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Mighty big and powerful storm for sure. On the plus side though, there should at least 24 hours of better than average surfing (always look on the bright side).

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Hurricane surf is crappy, in general. It takes a long fetch to produce a nice swell.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Starting to get a little windy on Big Island as the outer bands of the storm are hitting.

Couple of satellite views for any interested:

www.prh.noaa.gov...

www.prh.noaa.gov...

First is an overall view of the state, second is more localized to Big Island and Maui.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Oh heck!

That looks like a nasty rotator.

I hope everyone makes it, and that the damage caused is not so serious as to put infrastructure and property beyond feasible repair!

Best of luck to all caught in the path of that mess!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread had a couple of lines with Phage on another just to let him know were all looking out and watching.

5.5 Foot waves here seem pretty small.

Lake Michigan Bouy
edit on 22-8-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I hate the spinney things. Right now we're looking at 35 - 55 knots if things go...average. We get that a couple three times a year normally.

Keeping an eye on it. Get it...eye?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Puns in the face of calamity?

I commend you sir!

63 mile per hour winds as the outside highest windspeed? Might not be utterly devastating from the perspective of raw wind damage, but its the storm surge and the rainfall that will be of greatest concern, right?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Thankfully the forecast is for it to weaken substantially before it gets there.
Fingers crossed they are right.
A cat two is bad enough.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

In the tropics we get a lot of rain and I live on a hill so that's not a problem.

Storm surge mostly involves wind pushing water up against the land but since our islands are relatively small (compared to the area of the ocean surrounding us) we are not affected by it as much as a continental landmass would be. The water can flow around the island. It is a factor, but only when the winds become extreme, which we are hoping they won't. The last hurricane that affected Oahu was in 1991, the surge was about 3 feet. Problematic for some but not in general.

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

You live in Hawaii?

Good luck. I think you will be okay unless the forecast has changed since last night which it could of course.
I live in hurricane alley on the east coast.
I've been to Hawaii for vacation. Lovely place.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I'd rather be here than there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join