It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I will do whatever is necessary to preserve my heritage and my culture.

Slavery has been illegal for over a century and a half. Show me one slave left in the United States. Just one. Show me one person in the United States that has been a slave. Just one. Show me one person in the United States whose parents were ever slaves. Just one.

Or you are the racist, wanting to make political points on the backs of a race of humans.

TheRedneck

I know that there are no more slaves in the USA. That wasn't my point. (Although by 1865 that was the point of the Civil War as the CSA was crushed underfoot and the slaves were freed.)
So, you'd commit violence against people protesting the continued existence of a memorial dedicated to those who, once again, fought to defend slavery. That was the whole point of the CSA. They said so themselves. Basing your heritage and culture on that is, well, not exactly what I would describe as a moral position in any way shape or form.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
A product of 'higher education'...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

it wasn't really about the abolishing slavery by what I understand. the south had a hissy fit that some of the new territories weren't enforcing their property rights and forcing the slaves that came to them back onto their masters. ya know, kind of like how those bakers out there don't want to bake cakes for gay couples because they don't really believe in it? only instead of the issue being a stupid cake, it was people's lives and freedom?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Lol flying the confederate flag is LITERALLY the most unamerican thing a person could ever do...

Putting up protaganist statues and pushing lost cause propaganda is the most unamerican thing an American can do..

Flying the swastika is more patriotic than flying the confederate flag..

They should have executed most of the planter class for treason and distributed their land between the poor southern whites and freed slaves..

The biggest mistake the federal government EVER made was allowing them to stay the dominant feature in the south.. they blamed the war they started on the only innocent party in the whole fiasco.. the slaves..

Then they went on the worst attack of domestic terrorism this country has ever seen...

Hell everyone with a statue LITERALLY swore an oath to defend the US and its constitution before whipping their @$$ with the constitution.. all because they were afraid someday in the future they would lose their slaves..

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm willing to bet money that all of the "protesters" were perpetually offended white people.

White people think it makes them look cool to minorities when they pull these kind of stunts to prove how unracist they are.

It does'nt, just makes them look dumb.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

isn't that what human trafficking is all about?? what it doesn't happen in the US?? great, we can reunite those kids with their asylum seeking parents then can't we?

edit on 21-8-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

That is lost cause propaganda..

The south left the union BEFORE Lincoln or the Republican Party even took power..

It is literally the equivalent of if the south left today because “they are comming to get your guns” when there is no political will or army willing to do it..

It was one of the worst cases of demogogery in history.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

And thank you for at least trying to see my point.

I'm old. Not old enough to have seen slavery, but plenty old enough to remember the racism that once existed. I've watched that racism eradicated along with the KKK, by a people who came to grips with who they are. It was tough, for both whites and blacks, but we did it.

Unfortunately, there are others who cling to the racism cries. They want to somehow get revenge when their own ancestors were as involved as we were. They make up tall tales to try and convince others to join their holy cause, and I for one am sick and tired of being their target.

They are the racists. Not us.

I hope, I pray, that I never come across anyone trying to destroy a monument to my forefathers. I really do. Because that is a hill I AM willing to die on. I would have no issue whatsoever ending them where they stood, without warning, without reason, without notice, and no issue whatsoever with proudly proclaiming to a judge and jury that yes, I stood up and fought for my heritage... all the way to the execution chamber. They can't take more than a few years from me now; heck, I might not even make it to their revenge ceremony.

This is simply too far. The line has been crossed which cannot be crossed, and there will be blood spilled over it. Those who think this is some kind of joke need to figure that out, and they need to figure it out quick. When they cross that line, there will be no time to do so.

And, lest anyone think this is the ramblings of one man... I do not stand alone. Far from it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Come take my flag.

I have no stomach for childish internet braggadocio. Come on and take it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I don't care how you describe it.

TheRedneck

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

So, you'd commit violence against people protesting the continued existence of a memorial dedicated to those who, once again, fought to defend slavery. That was the whole point of the CSA.

Then it should not be a problem to find an account of a single Southern soldier who said they joined the Confederate armies to keep slaves in chains.

Not any account I've ever read of a single one of the letters, diaries, or autobiographies of any Southerner who fought in the war said they did it to keep slavery.

However, almost all of them talk about a tyrannical Federal government that was out of control and no longer represented all of its people. Look up the Corwin amendment and learn some history. It proves that slavery was not the catalyst for the war.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

so you want to kill people over a thing built out worthless finite materials... over an image...
I dont want to know what you'd do for klondike bar...

hurry and give up the oxygen to a better human being...

edit on 21-8-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

That's a crazy way to be imo but it's how you feel so rock on. I don't agree and dont have to.

Again, thanks for being honest and saying what you mean. It's refreshing

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: network dude
eh... go for it. my ancestors were the indentured servants and poor that Europe sent over here to do the work needed to build their colonies, you know the revolutionaries that dumped the tea into the harbor and the like and not immigrants. that statue has no part in my history...
does it yours?????

that thing you heard, whizzing by your head, yea, that was the point. Removing a statue because it "offends" you, won't change a thing, but to remove the reminder that we used to be like that, and now aren't. And the statue is there to remind you never to loose sight of that useful and valuable instrument. removing the statue changes nothing of the past, it only hides the past from the future.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Why do you want people to put themselves in danger over taking down something you don't consider as having worth?

How many protestors is me "giving up my oxygen" worth to you? I'm willing to die on this hill... are you?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

not quite sure what you are saying. it seems like you are saying that they weren't concerned about their property rights not being honored by the rest of the country?
that didn't have anything to do with who was holding power in washington. there was a growing number of people who came to the conclusion that owning another human was just not right so instead of recognizing the property rights, the were hiding the slaves and running the underground railroad helping them to escape to freedom. and some states were becoming less and less happy about enforcing the laws that protected those rights.
can you own property if no one recognizes you right to it?
there is still slavery in this country today, but we just don't recognize anyone's rights in the matter. is someone in that situation surfaces, we will not give them back to the enslaver, we will protect their freedom and prosecute the heck out of the one trying to enslave. but it's still out there.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Hmmmmm.....

So basically, a large group of young people were pretty much taught that it's okay to take maters into their own hands and break the law. That it is okay to destroy things that they think are offensive or that they disagree with.

That they will not be punished for their actions, and that it is okay to act like a bunch of animals instead of acting like civilized humans.

That it is okay to destroy history if it displeases them.

(post by odzeandennz removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Enough

This is not the Mud Pit, and even if it was, personal insults are NOT ALLOWED.

If you can not debate in a civilized manner, your posts will be removed.

If you continue to post personal insults (or other serious violations), you will no longer be posting here on ATS.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Unless security guards charge $100,000 per year now, it sounds like the board was pocketing money on that "security".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join