It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unopened box of 1999 pokémon cards just sold for $56,000!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I can hardly believe it, but apparently it's true.

From the article:

"Do you feel you gotta catch ‘em all? well, seems this is the case for someone who just paid $56,000 for an unopened box of 1999 pokémon cards. sold by huggins & scott, the auction stated that the tightly sealed container had been in the possession of the consignor since its release, decades ago. and if you are seriously into pokémon, you know that the earliest designs — in particular the first editions — are very valuable in the resell market."

Source: www.designboom.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
As a society, we have truly hit rock bottom...

...and, we have begun to dig...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Tulip bulbs.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: manta78

I bought alot of those damm things for my kid. Alo t alot alot lol.

I wish we would have saved them...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Ya well wait till I decide to sell my Game of thrones 1st edition deck and never touched 1st edition starter pack. At this very moment they are already worth over 2G. BTW my deck would have won the world tournament if I had the time to go.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I guess Wednesday is the day for big spenders on small items. Here's another incredible auction today:

Rare nickel up for auction in Philadelphia bought for $4.56 million

"An extremely rare nickel up for auction in Philadelphia fetched $4.56 million from an anonymous buyer Wednesday.

The Stack’s Bowers Galleries offered the Eliasberg 1913 Liberty Head Nickel for auction during the American Numismatic Association’s World’s Fair of Money."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Warning! Bad joke below! You've been warned!

I can only hope my collection of unopened boxes of condoms will appreciate in value someday

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

it was worth the scroll...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Where do they find people to buy things like that. Maybe I should start selling real estate on Mars.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Where do they find people to buy things like that. Maybe I should start selling real estate on Mars.

I paid 250 bucks for a childhood toy that probably cost 25 at the time. It was my most treasured toy and my grandmother, a habitual OCD cleaner and throw-away-er tossed it one day.

If I had that kind of money to throw around on a toy or childhood memento, I might, yeah.

Everyone has memories they try to recapture with money.

I think the buyer is just going to try to sell to a bigger sucker though.

edit on 16-8-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
As a society, we have truly hit rock bottom...

...and, we have begun to dig...

I thought this has happened since ever. People collecting old coins, baseball cards, concert tickets, albums, postage labels and things like that then selling very expensive. How is this different? Because you don't like the game?
edit on 16-8-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is how the regulars make a buck because the rich assholes own the stock market.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Moments lost to time forever bother the human mind. A chance to go back is priceless. Nostalgia isnt priceless, but its worth a lot.

Some dude at school gave my brother a bellsprout.. I don't know why the hell it intrigued me so hard at the time.. I was hooked, didnt have any money so i just made up a game with the 5 or so cards we had found after that.. whatever I still remember the smell of the cards and the way those original cards looked..

I wouldnt pay any money for it myself, but what is money worth if you dont spend it? Its betting against the present for the future.. haha.

Actually depending on what cards are inside they may be worth much more to people. Its what like over 300 cards.. odds are this person makes their money back, sounds crazy, but yea.. even back when these came out charizard was like 100$.

Lets not forget cards with words and pictures on them is not so different from paper with numbers on it.. its the human faith that gives paper value.

South Park episode "chenpokemon" or something like that makes fun of how popular pokemon is/was..

Its probably been like 15 years since ive even seen a pokemon card, but pretty sure i remember the rules of the game. What was it 5$ for a booster pack?? I sunk some money into those ha!

Good times.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
what a senseless goddamn waste

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
what a senseless goddamn waste

For the buyer or the seller? Or both? Money changed hands for some stuff, so they did not think it was a waste. I don't know anything I just think is the same as any other item, car or whatever that is not around anymore and is sold as collectors item?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
You ever see the crap people buy at sotheby's auction?

some people just got money to burn.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Guess the old adage of"a fool and his money are soon departed" would apply here,some don't make that much in a year

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I had no idea the old cards were worth anything. I have books and boxes of them, that I have been yelling at my sons to get out of the house now that they are grown, or I was going to throw away.
I'm thinking now, I better not.

Anyone know if 10 years is long enough to consider them abandoned property? LOL
edit on 16-8-2018 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Looks like you haven't been long in ebay, in Vegas they call them shills...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Get them all on Ebay and tell the boys you had a mice problem.

<<   2 >>

join