It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing in things that are not real

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
Dr Kerry Spackman once wrote that false beliefs should never be respected nor celebrated, false beliefs should always be ridiculed and mocked.
Because false beliefs are dangerous.

The truth should always be the only option.

Spackman seems to suggest manipulating ones mind, to attain perceived success.
If that is accurate: is not the whole concept a house of cards, built with false beliefs?

What do you or he, know about 'truth'?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I'm married, for the time being that is real. I am alive but I could kick the bucket any day just as everyone else can.

A reality is formed by beliefs and input from our senses.

Economies of countries, the value of their currency, is based on beliefs. Evidence can be created to make an economy look great yet it is ready to collapse...once the corruption is highlighted the belief in it goes away. The house of cards falls.

Our whole society is based off of beliefs, it is good that the beliefs creating it are better than in some other countries.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Reality, or "real" is an ideal. Our best current explanation for the nature of something.
An asymptote that trends toward 100%, but never really ever gets there.
That is why there are always holes in reality, some so minute as avoiding measurement.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
a reply to: rickymouse
Granted, the research may be imperfect, but the scientific method is possibly the greatest achievement of our species.

Did you not disprove that yourself, with the Subjectivism video you shared?
edit on 12-8-2018 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: turbonium1

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Dr Kerry Spackman once wrote that false beliefs should never be respected nor celebrated, false beliefs should always be ridiculed and mocked.

He is only a "doctor" based on a belief that he has attained a certain level of knowledge and practical experience and the title of doctor is bestowed by their peers.

Doctors have been known to push an agenda depending on their funding.

Why would someone use ridicule in changing peoples minds?

Why would anyone encourage others to ridicule people for their own belief/opinion?

Speaking from experience, I know it is either based on their own fears, and insecurities.... or an agenda, of various sorts ... Perhaps both, at the same time.

It is always a belief that most people accept as true, an 'official' account, of course. They can attack a person for what most don't agree with, and 'gang up' on him, with endless mockery, and insults.

This is a classic 'bully' behavior. Internal fears and insecurities are expressed outwardly as anger, spite, and insults.

To be fair, we have been conditioned to mock and ridicule people for believing what others don't. I was about 7 years old when my teacher mocked people for believing the Earth was flat, with a drawing of a ship sailing over the edge, surrounded by sea monsters.

I have never forgotten that image, even though it meant nothing to me, and I didn't care what shape the Earth was. I was told we always believed the Earth was flat for hundreds of years because we were ignorant about science, we hadn't explored the world yet, or so on.

So whenever people mentioned the idea of a flat Earth, I thought back to a ship sailing over the edge, surrounded by sea monsters. And I remembered how my science teacher snickered and laughed, at how unbelievably 'ignorant' we were, way back then.

Think of one specific belief, which is taken as 100% fact, which is taught to a 7 year old kid, like me - Earth is shaped like a ball. We live on a huge, enormous ball. W who proudly thought he's already smarter than all those 12th century morons, who actually thought the Earth was flat!!

Why do people always laugh about this one, particular belief? It is imprinted behavior. All of the people were simpletons, morons, who knew nothing of the world. They believed in an ancient myth, written in the Bible, about the Earth being flat!! Anyone who now believes the Earth is flat must be a religious fanatic, or a conspiracy nut!

While nobody laughs about someone who believes aliens visited Earth, abducted humans, cross-bred with humans, created half alien, half human hybrids. At least, nobody seems to think it is absolute BS, anymore.

Doubt the shape of Earth, as round? How dare you?

Cheers.

That seems like a good example, of how one group, boosted by confirmation bias, and consensus beliefs, will turn and mock others' beliefs.
Also how it shames/guilts folks into going-along with the flock.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I'm married, for the time being that is real. I am alive but I could kick the bucket any day just as everyone else can.

Economies of countries, the value of their currency, is based on beliefs. Evidence can be created to make an economy look great yet it is ready to collapse...once the corruption is highlighted the belief in it goes away. The house of cards falls.

Our whole society is based off of beliefs, it is good that the beliefs creating it are better than in some other countries.

Why do you need to believe that you are alive?

What is marriage, but a concept invented by man?
You believe it.
It is not eternal nor infinate, is it?
You were not always married, and no one knows the future.
What if you recieve a letter tommorow from the marriage authority, saying they have revised your file, and it was not properly done, so you are no longer legally married?

The definition of marriage is evolving.
Why else does one marry, other that to conform to societal, and self beliefs?

How can any concept created by man, be real?

Your belief that you are married, depends on you believing in laws, institutions, authorities, customs, concepts, words, etc...

When we look deeper, we see beliefs supported by beliefs, propped-up by beliefs.

Is not any supposed reality that is formed by beliefs, a false reality?

Why do you believe that the beliefs of your country, are better than the beliefs of another country?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
a reply to: Itisnowagain

YOUR REAL SELF
After this body, you will remain aware (as consciousness).

Your real Self is always consciousness.

by Pardeep

Do you believe that this is anything more than a belief?

The consciousness part feels right, who knows?
But the 'after' part?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Reality, or "real" is an ideal. Our best current explanation for the nature of something.
An asymptote that trends toward 100%, but never really ever gets there.
That is why there are always holes in reality, some so minute as avoiding measurement.

An ideal, as in a concept, an unattainable perception of absolute Truth?

We never quite get there, do we?

It could be gleaned, that you are coming close to suggesting that there is no 100% real reality. Was that your intention?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Absolutely. There is reality the ideal, and the truth, the absolute.
We will never attain the real truth because it contains attributes that we do not have the wherewithal to comprehend.
The closest we get is our mental concept of reality.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

You believe it.
What if you recieve a letter tommorow from the marriage authority, saying they have revised your file, and it was not properly done, so you are no longer legally married?

Your belief that you are married, depends on you believing in laws, institutions, authorities, customs, concepts, words, etc...

When we look deeper, we see beliefs supported by beliefs, propped-up by beliefs.

Why do you believe that the beliefs of your country, are better than the beliefs of another country?

The beliefs of our country allow me to say things within reason against practices of our government without being killed or imprisoned. We have the freedom of religion or freedom to not partake in religion. We have a legal system to help protect us from being falsly accused of crimes, it is not perfect, but better than many other countries have. We have a police force to protect us from criminals, it has flaws but is a decent system.

My first marriage was real, so was the divorce. I chose to end that marriage, it was mutual. I desire to be married, it is my preference, I had the right to marry someone I liked and it has lasted thirty four years.

Our sense of reality is different than the sense of reality of someone from say Russia or the middle east or other countries. I only start questioning when the reality of a society conflicts or enslaves other people from different countries or when people think they are better than someone because of their social class or income level. I respect everyone equally, I do not give any more respect to a movie star or politician than I do to a farmer, I do not give respect to people who steal and swindle money from others though, I respect honesty and integrity.

That is the reality I choose to live in. I try to find people who share my sense of kind, people who are just common everyday working class people without a chip on their shoulder or a head the size of a football field. I do get along with people with big heads, but do not try to associate with them on a regular basis, I have the right to choose my friends. That is one good thing, I would not want to be a politician where I was expected to choose sides. If my kids are going down the wrong path, I give them a warning, they usually ignore me but within a year usually have learned the consequences of not listening to my experiences and knowledge of human nature..

We form our own solar system, our belief is the sun, I am a planet sharing an orbit with my wife. We have moons and the moons have moons now, my solar system is filled with other planets and their moons. Our solar system is in a galaxy or country, our galaxy is in the universe or world. To me this is relevant, I only need my solar system of friends, I do not have to be friends with everyone in the world or universe. This of a kind relationship with others forms our reality, this reality comes with rules we have to follow so we can continue enjoying it.

I know, I am off topic but then again, this thread is part of my reality.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

We will never attain the real truth because it contains attributes that we do not have the wherewithal to comprehend.

After hundreds of generations of conditioning, we do not have the ability to comprehend a lot of things . Social engineering has been going on for thousands of years or maybe much more.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The 'true You' True being something that will NEVER change.

Ever notice that there are tons of reports of "Past Life Recollections" and the majority of recounts are from children?

Because their Pineal Gland hasn't had time to calcify. This could also account for people of advanced ages not being able to sleep soundly; The Pineal Gland is where Melatonin is produced naturally.

And because You asked; re: the 'after' part:

That same Pineal Gland is the 'computer of Your Soul' and each Soul has "lessons" to learn whilst in a skin suit. If the lessons aren't learned then You 're-boot' Some do it out of habit; some do it because they enjoy "living"; some MUST do it and some "get stuck" these are the Ones that 'scare' the living; they do this because they are frightened..

Stay Hydrated... (but NOT with water w/Fluoride™ Fluoride™ calcifies the Pineal Gland.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah it all starts with small things like Santa, religion etc. And our parents told us, their parents told them.. why wouldn’t we believe our parents right. Only now has our generation really taken on the information believed to be fake by many generations before us

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AwareOFItALL

I knew from young that there was a lot of Fake out in the world. My father told me to believe only half of what you read or three quarters of what you see. The parents and their friends used to always talk about never trusting a politician..they all lie. I do not think people realize this is not a new practice and that it just got worse, basically because nobody told their kids that they should never trust a politician.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here is another article about belief. www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Is not an ideal: a concept; a creation of man; a belief?
How can one be sure that this 'mental concept of reality', is more than a belief?
And what of this 'absolute'? How can it be anything more than a belief?

If thoughts, concepts of reality and truth are beliefs: then how could any belief be real or true?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

You believe it.

The beliefs of our country allow me to say things within reason against practices of our government without being killed or imprisoned. We have the freedom of religion or freedom to not partake in religion. We have a legal system to help protect us from being falsly accused of crimes, it is not perfect, but better than many other countries have. We have a police force to protect us from criminals, it has flaws but is a decent system.

My first marriage was real, so was the divorce. I chose to end that marriage, it was mutual. I desire to be married, it is my preference, I had the right to marry someone I liked and it has lasted thirty four years.

Our sense of reality is different than the sense of reality of someone from say Russia or the middle east or other countries. I only start questioning when the reality of a society conflicts or enslaves other people from different countries or when people think they are better than someone because of their social class or income level. I respect everyone equally, I do not give any more respect to a movie star or politician than I do to a farmer, I do not give respect to people who steal and swindle money from others though, I respect honesty and integrity.

That is the reality I choose to live in. I try to find people who share my sense of kind, people who are just common everyday working class people without a chip on their shoulder or a head the size of a football field. I do get along with people with big heads, but do not try to associate with them on a regular basis, I have the right to choose my friends. That is one good thing, I would not want to be a politician where I was expected to choose sides. If my kids are going down the wrong path, I give them a warning, they usually ignore me but within a year usually have learned the consequences of not listening to my experiences and knowledge of human nature..

We form our own solar system, our belief is the sun, I am a planet sharing an orbit with my wife. We have moons and the moons have moons now, my solar system is filled with other planets and their moons. Our solar system is in a galaxy or country, our galaxy is in the universe or world. To me this is relevant, I only need my solar system of friends, I do not have to be friends with everyone in the world or universe. This of a kind relationship with others forms our reality, this reality comes with rules we have to follow so we can continue enjoying it.

I know, I am off topic but then again, this thread is part of my reality.

Well ok. You are comfortable with your beliefs.
Without commenting, have read many of your posts over the last few years.
Have no doubt that you are a good man.

It is nice to see you looking deep, and questioning our beliefs. Some realizations can arrive in big chunks, and be difficult to digest.

From your OP: ..."... I just want to investigate how deep the BS goes..."...

Are you satisfied with this thread so far, or would you like to look deeper?

Deeper, means disecting our own beliefs. Including some deep and long-term ones.
We're all experts at seeing the faulty logic in others, and not so much our own.

Don't recommend looking too deep, to a happy and good man.
Maybe it's only for those coming-out of strife, or whom can no longer accept what they observe?

Well, here's a taste, just to see what lies down that path:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

The BS goes really deep, much of what we consider real is not real. I question my own beliefs a lot too, not just the beliefs of others. It is almost uncomprehensible how much BS is integrated into our society here in America. People are getting all wound up about politics, politicians are usually the biggest deceivers there are, why would anyone want to side with either side? I observe this reality and try to figure out how the hell it got created.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

The 'true You' True being something that will NEVER change.

Ever notice that there are tons of reports of "Past Life Recollections" and the majority of recounts are from children?

Because their Pineal Gland hasn't had time to calcify. This could also account for people of advanced ages not being able to sleep soundly; The Pineal Gland is where Melatonin is produced naturally.

And because You asked; re: the 'after' part:

That same Pineal Gland is the 'computer of Your Soul' and each Soul has "lessons" to learn whilst in a skin suit. If the lessons aren't learned then You 're-boot' Some do it out of habit; some do it because they enjoy "living"; some MUST do it and some "get stuck" these are the Ones that 'scare' the living; they do this because they are frightened..

Stay Hydrated... (but NOT with water w/Fluoride™ Fluoride™ calcifies the Pineal Gland.

'The never-changing, eternal you.' Yeah.

How do you know about the 'after' part?
How do you know of such things as what the Soul is?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
And here i was thinking Santiclaus, easterbunny and god. No no no. Talking fake news like it was something new. Been around as long as news itself. But the ppl isnt capable of thinkinfor them selfs anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join