It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have worked with asbestos several times during my time as a contractor and real estate investor. Asbestos rooofing tiles are some of the best around. Honestly, I would like to see it come back for limited applications.

It is one of the best building materials for certain things.
edit on 2018/8/7 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yup, but handled properly..

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yup, but handled properly..

Exactly. It is the dust that is the issue not the product.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
thanks trump and trump admin...

*does this only works for the Obama and his admin
edit on 7-8-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
So, once again, Trump's administration is allowing states to take on the burden of protecting their own citizens from things like this--I find that to be a good thing. Hell, California has been already doing that for decades anyhow.

Nothing says that just because the EPA isn't forcing something doesn't mean that states can't make their own regulations.

Let's stop Chicken-Littling this stuff to death.

We don't have to rely on the federal government for everything, and if it's at the state level, or county level, or municipal level, this gives the individual citizen even that much more power to effect the change that we want or the policies that make sense to us.

With all of that noted, this appears more to be removing a blanket ban, which is a good thing, while still retaining regulatory control. I still believe that states will have the power to ban its use, regardless. I mean, I can't use untreated wood to build a deck in my backyard because of local codes and laws--regulatory authority is always best at a more local level, IMO.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It was never banned by the EPA entirely as there is a long list of products that still make use of this product. The danger of asbestos comes when it is exposed and allowed to contaminant an area by small particles of dust.

Products which still make use of asbestos include:

Vinyl floor products
Clothing
Roofing felt
Disc break pads

So never has been a manufacturing ban. It's a dangerous product when not used properly but in some cases, considered essential for safety, which is a bit ironic. Also a very regulated product and will remain so. A much longer list of asbestos containing products can be found here.

And hate to disappoint the Trump haters, but EPA rules governing the banning of asbestos were overturned and declared illegal by the 5th circuit back in 1989. Largely self regulated by manufactures since, afraid of law suits, better products and other regulations

www.epa.gov...

edit on 8/7/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

My father died from asbestos caused mesothelioma too, and I still don't have a problem with this.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

This is a knee jerk reaction from people that have no clue what they are talking about. I have used and handled the product in the past and it can be done safely. Now that we know what the danger is there are procedures for using it safely.

Some people will take any opportunity to attack something simply because Trump stole their lunch money or some other pathetic reason.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Banned hell!! where did my and your break pads come from and the fireman's suit. Man you folks need to understand what banned and heavily regulated means.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: SlapMonkey

This is a knee jerk reaction from people that have no clue what they are talking about. I have used and handled the product in the past and it can be done safely. Now that we know what the danger is there are procedures for using it safely.

Some people will take any opportunity to attack something simply because Trump stole their lunch money or some other pathetic reason.

Not getting into the polotics of this BUT any nation which decides to use asbestos has no thought for the operatives using it or the potential occupants of the building, if 10000+ deaths a year are acceptable feel free to use this out dated product, SMH, its ideas like this that caused similar instances with Greenfell Towers in the UK, building profits put ahead of long term safety.

I work in construction and understand all the harm of asbestos, and while I am seeing people suggest its the dust, its actually the fibres carried within the dust, its not even shaped like dust particles, hey wanna feel safe put a dust mask on

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Just to remind, it's one thing handling it safely, but what if there's a fail?

www.asbestos.com...

When the Twin Towers collapsed to the ground on September 11, 2001, a massive cloud of smoke, dust and debris released hazardous asbestos fibers and other toxic substances into the air. Asbestos fireproofing materials from 20 stories of the towers came showering down on New York City.

Now obviously 9/11 was a unique event, but how can it even still be considered safe when it's exposed to the atmosphere and why even take the chance?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I have dealt with toxic mold as well as asbestos. As long as you know it’s there it isn’t a big deal. I don’t believe you need to ban something just because you don’t understand it and no, it isn’t an outdated product. It is the BEST product for many applications.

We wouldn’t have millions of deaths a year from mosquitos if people didn’t ban mostly safe DDT because of hysteria and over reaction. We end up banning things that are the best product for the job because people don’t understand them or their use.

With proper training and application most of these things being banned are perfectly safe. I don’t have any fear of them because I understand them. I would love to put a brand new asbestos roof on every house I do because they last forever.

edit on 2018/8/7 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: underwerks
Tired of winning yet?

You know when a 6 mile tall firenado is headed your way and you decide the best remedy is to do a controlled burn?

Trump is that controlled burn and we are just doing our best to control it. If left unchecked he would burn this motha down...

ahahahahah

you drank a gang of the kool aid huh

damn

this just seems like some shady # no matter who is making it happen

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Hey man, I understand all you stated and can agree with the majority of it, Asbestos is the best product for so many applications is 100% true, its fire retardant capabilities alone outweigh most other products for its weight and cost, dont make it safe though as you stated and others have IF used in correct circumstances and with PROPER training its fine, what about the people who occupy the buildings, what about the sub contractor who is just wanting to make money for his young family and has been called to a repiar....

I worked at a hospital during the 1990s and common practice in the 1960s (before my time) was to make a door perform better in fire conditions was to fix a sheet of asbestos to the door, of course over time the door is painted and painted again and again, until I come along 30 years later to ease and adjust the doors on X-Ray, i had to remove the door and then plane the edge, once I started to plane the edge it was clear that the product contained asbestos, I was an apprentice at the time, I immediatly stopped work, requested it to be sampled and it was confirmed asbestos

Not only was there no record for the entire building of where this had been used, i also exposed mysef and others in the vicinity to asbestos thru not having the above information, that happened once, dont need it to happen again.

Anecdotal evidence yes (but i assure you 100% true), its to easy in this circumsatnce to then try and blame someone after the incidient, give them some money in compensation but there is no cure just a long drawn out death for your family to suffer

So yes it maybe good for inanimate objects (ie buildings) but it aint no good for anyone who has lungs, if that means it will cost more for the building contractor so be it, peoples lives should never be worth less than someone elses profit margins

This is not aimed at any poster in particular but this should not be a political issue, it is without doubt a product with data for nearly 50 years know which shows, ASBESTOS KILLS

edit
Some links on the dangers and examples of numbers of PREVENTABLE deaths caused to my colleagues/brothers on site

why is asbestos dangerous

asbestos 2016 UK stats

deaths by occupation

I now deliver construction training to apprentices, I tell all of them NEVER work with it.....EVER......PERIOD, i have to tell them often as they are 16-19 and think they are invincible.
edit on 7-8-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: link

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

...mostly safe DDT....

Ahahahhahahaha wow holy #...just...Wooow....

If it was anyone else that posted that I would've assumed it was a joke....made me laugh anyway though..ahahahahaha

www.panna.org...

www.thespruce.com...

www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca...

www.amazon.ca...

Might wanna read these instead of using this as your source for DDT safety

I think you win for writing the dumbest # i've read all day.
edit on 7/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: underwerks
Tired of winning yet?

You know when a 6 mile tall firenado is headed your way and you decide the best remedy is to do a controlled burn?

Trump is that controlled burn and we are just doing our best to control it. If left unchecked he would burn this motha down...

ahahahahah

you drank a gang of the kool aid huh

damn

this just seems like some shady # no matter who is making it happen

It is true stuff...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

thats a great picture

thank you sir

Tyrell looks mad fly

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Oh boy howdy this gets even more delightfully interesting:

"There’s only one major producer of asbestos left in the entire world. It happens to be based in Russia and the owner of it happens to be close buddies with Putin. Remember that story months ago about the Russian plant stamping it’s pallets of product with “45” and an image of Trump’s face? Yeah same asbestos plant I just mentioned. Weird how they seemed able to know what Trump’s EPA stance on asbestos was going to be before the report was even commissioned!" (SA-D&D-T 3686)

No theres not in fact its widely produced in china and India. For example they still use asbestos for break pads in their automotive industry. Oh and Canada is a huge provider of Tremolite. That's the mineral used to make asbestos. And reality is asbestos break pads are far superior to metallic for stopping a car.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Oh boy howdy this gets even more delightfully interesting:

"There’s only one major producer of asbestos left in the entire world. It happens to be based in Russia and the owner of it happens to be close buddies with Putin. Remember that story months ago about the Russian plant stamping it’s pallets of product with “45” and an image of Trump’s face? Yeah same asbestos plant I just mentioned. Weird how they seemed able to know what Trump’s EPA stance on asbestos was going to be before the report was even commissioned!" (SA-D&D-T 3686)

Not surprised to find this seems to be legit....even though it is incredibly dangerous....to anyone who has lungs...Anything to make some fast bucks for his cronies and oligarchs. This person has no scruples.

guardian july 2018

From the article

Uralasbest, which is located in the mining city of Asbest in the Ural Mountains, is reported to have close ties to Russian president Vladimir Putin, who Trump will meet for talks in Helsinki next week.

Asbest was once known as the “dying city” due to its high rate of lung cancer and other asbestos-related health problems.
Helping Putin and Russian oligarchs amass fortunes by selling a product that kills thousands each year should never be the role of a US president or the EPA, but this is the Trump administration.”

Asbestos was once widely used in the US for insulation and roofing but is now classed by the federal government as a “known carcinogen” due to evidence that, when disturbed, asbestos fibers can become lodged in the lungs and cause mesothelioma, as well as cancers of the lung, larynx and ovary. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 2,500 Americans die from mesothelioma every year.
By allowing asbestos to remain legal, the Trump administration would be responsible for a flood of asbestos imports from Russia and other countries into the US, as well as the wave of illnesses and deaths that will continue for years to come,” said Linda Reinstein, co-founder and president of the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization.

Last year, Brazil, which was responsible for the bulk of asbestos exports to the US, joined about 60 other countries in banning the product, leaving Russia as the major source of asbestos sent to America.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

Jesus Christ. He has no scruples. Rubles maybe, but no scruples.
Maybe t made the deal in Helsinki, and he's getting it really cheap. No tariffs.
edit on 8/7/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join