It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Want to know who still uses asbestos? Russia. It's even one of their largest exports, they have a near monopoly on the world market.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The US still uses it as well. We do not mine it anymore in this country. About 750 metric tons a year is used in a variety of product's to include certain gaskets to chlorine products

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

The US still uses it as well. We do not mine it anymore in this country. About 750 metric tons a year is used in a variety of product's to include certain gaskets to chlorine products

We use it, but we don't produce it. We buy it from Russia.

I get that it's a very useful and unique material, but there are also some serious health consequences involved in being around the stuff and making note of those is something that the EPA is supposed to be tasked with.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I in no way wish to defend asbestos. Especially, since in many cases, the industry continued to use it even after knowing of the danger and that they failed to protect employees.

And up until around 8 months ago, 95% of the abestos imported to the US came from Brazil not Russia.

www.google.com...

Now, the remaining 5% did come from Russia. Now that Brazil has halted asbestos mining we most likely will need to increase our imports from Russia. It's a small amount compared to other countries like China, and Thailand.

Canada mined asbestos until this year, but have not yet fully closed asbestos mines but stopped production. Seems tighter regulations are coming.

I just do not see what Trumps EPA is proposing is evil. Number one, asbestos has never been banned like the title states, only extremely regulated.

As I understand the proposal, it is to update the statistics used to regulate asbestos, to reflect on the changes made in it's use, it's non use and to better formulate rules to govern it's use.

Makes little sense to continue to restrict a business that no longer uses the product but current regulations do just that.

This story was an attempt to bash Trump when in reality, the over haul of EPA regs started during Obama's admin, certainly going in different directions but ultimately the same, better regulations.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just more fake news that Liberals use to try and disparage the President. And then the rest of the clowns eat up the headline without ever understanding the actual details of the story or the biases of the author. Don't you guys ever get tired of being used as useful idiots and pawns of the "resistance"?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

I knew the rest but wasn't aware we were getting if from Brazil.

Anyways, it's not like Asbestos is a huge market in the US. I was just pointing out that it's one of Russia's biggest imports which is at least eyebrow raising in context with everything else involving this administration.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

It was a surprise to me as well and I was not aware that Canada still mined it until this year. The only reason I looked it up was someone attempted to tie it into the Trump-Putin meeting. Lots of things to bash Trump over, but for now this is not one of them.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

It was a surprise to me as well and I was not aware that Canada still mined it until this year. The only reason I looked it up was someone attempted to tie it into the Trump-Putin meeting. Lots of things to bash Trump over, but for now this is not one of them.

Maybe, maybe not. Part of me wonders if Putin would even bother using his political capital/leverage with Trump over something so minor. There's also the fact that Trump loves asbestos, even when given alternatives he's known for using it whenever possible. So maybe Putin isn't involved.

The other part of me realizes it's Trump, so Putin probably is involved.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Trump loves to use abestos and does so even when there is an alternative. Do you have a link to back up the claim ? Asbestos is one of the most regulated products out there and has been banned from use as a building insulator since 1973.

Trump and his father dealt with already existing real estate, many properties that had been built when abestos use was still allowed.

Donald did not even build a building until 1980, and it is highly unlikely he was involved in the choice of material used, and certainly would not been able to force the use of a banned material. The Unions in NY would have hung him up to die.

That is the kind of FAKE NEWS that so many attempt to hang on him. He has made some silly statements about abestos but he is not alone. He has claimed that abestos is perfectly fine as long as its contained.

Somewhat true, we all know that eventually that it is dangerous. A lot of his defense of abestos comes from having to go through the expense of removing it from buildings he bought. He was never in a position to have actually installed abestos in a building.

If you can provide a link that says otherwise, I will look it over but since asbestos was banned as an insulator and fire proof material in 1973, highly doubt you can back up your claim

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Asbestos when handled super carefully and not ever exposed to people is "safe?" Yea.. OK. If handled just right, I could probably line my roof with alligators too, I guess... but not going to do that, either. It's obviously not safe, and there are alternatives.

But pfft.. we are in the Trump administration, where care for the environment and our health is literally at the bottom of Trump's to-do list. You vote for a capitalist POTUS.. you get a capitalist POTUS. And that doesn't mean you get someone who gives a crap about the environment or your health, if it gets in the way of making a buck.

55 countries have banned it, 16 have restrictions on it. It's not safe, and this is stupidity. But Trump's supporters will make excuses for his administration until they die (of like.. asbestos poisoning or something like it).

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Wow, you literally read none of this thread which ruled a line through all of the nonsense you just spouted...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join