It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80-year-old medical marijuana patient with expired card jailed for less than an eighth of weed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Disenchanted1
#1 if she was using opoids foe pain management she wouldn't even need a license.

She had. It caused stomach problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Just FYI the cop is a she not a he...

Well I'm going to take heat for this but it explains a lot. Female cops are often pushier, for a lack of a better word.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I mean what in the actual ####.

That is the only problem with weed...If you smell it then it effects your spirit on a deathly level.

Hashish means assassin

The only way to counteract it is to arrest it or drink a beer.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Shouldn't take heat for it...we should evaluate it.

Men and women see the world with different minds. Silly to argue against it. I'd hazard a guess that if it were left to just mean, 90% of our laws wouldn't exist. Like the stuff relating to social values (prostitution, booze, etc)...that is all derived from women mostly (and the religious). Would make sense that a female officer might hold higher value on social type laws...different mind than mine.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
so she should not have applied the law, because of age? hate to tell you that is discrimination. age should not have any part of deciding when to follow the law. if this was a 20 year old would everyone also be saying that they should not have been arrested? laws are supposed to be applied equally regardless of things like age. we don't even know how long her medicinal use card had been expired. was it a day, or was it a couple years? we have no clue. but even if it had expired the day before, she was still breaking the law. a buddy of mine got arrested for an invalid licence when he was pulled over just a couple hours after his birthday (about 2am the day after his birthday when it expired, since he had decided to sober up so he wouldn't be driving drunk). it was only expired for a couple hours, yet he was still guilty. i had to go with him to pick up his car and drive it home for him, after he paid for the tow and impound. he simply hadn't even thought about the fact his licence had expired. it happens to all of us. but that does not make us any less guilty of breaking the law. i once even drove with out of date temporary plates. i had confused the date it expired, thinking i still had a day left. it was an honest mistake. but i was still charged. and even though i was given a ticket, the cop recommended what way to get back to work so i wouldn't get stopped again. and told me to take it to court, and he would do his best not to show up (he apparently hid in the washroom according to his buddies when the case was called), so i would get off. so yes the cop thought it was a bum rap, but he still felt he needed to charge me, since i was breaking the law. it sounds like they did similar in this case, they told her to renew it, and once she did, they dropped the charges. sure i didn't have to go to jail, but then what i was charged for, they normally do not automatically send you to jail. in this case they normally immediately arrest and jail the person, and so she was arrested and put in jail. just as they would have done with anyone else who did the same thing.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
when will this ridiculousness stop?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ill just say the police officer wasted everyone's time. A little discretion on his part would have saved a lot of grief. I think sometimes police think their only job is to enforce the law and they forget its also to help the community's as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

You are also a jackhole, please never become a cop.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lightdhype
a reply to: projectvxn

Really??? The guy who gets to actual root of the problem -- the law and those who made the law -- is the jackhole? Because YOU want cops to only enforce those laws they want to?

I suppose next you'll be telling me that it's okay for them to decide who should be prosecuted and who shouldn't, right? No due process necessary. The cops have it covered, right?

And then you'll tell me we don't even need courts, because by golly gee the cop on the street knows who should be arrested for what -- and who shouldn't be arrested -- so why bother with courts?

So now that cops are already judge and jury, why not make them executioner as well? Because they know...

It's just the jackhole who questions the law -- and those who wrote the law -- that you have a problem with. Got it.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
unless it was you, YOUR grandma, ma, girlfriend, friend,.etc.....how casual you are about OTHER people's lives.....she IS, after all EIGHTY years old...I bet you aren't even HALF that...I am FIFTY TWO...I have more compassion....a reply to: Allaroundyou

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I will not go too far on bout the seizure I had when i was arrested almost a year ago..for driving, (well not really, I had keys in my hand, but wasn't in my car) while having a seizure.....(and oh crap...I had medical MJ in my system! GASP while holding a valid medical card!)! That pig decided to turn in the paperwork for a DUI...so far the prosecutor has disagreed with his assessment of the situation.....even went so far as to drop the assault on a LEO charges because I allegedly kicked a cop while post ictal.....some popo just don't get it.......a reply to: wtfatta

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Having now read all of your comments... and seeing you walk back some of your, um, more ignorant comments, I'm understanding better why so many folks still think it's all about getting high.

You have obviously never researched the medicinal benefits of cannabis. You have obviously not even bothered to read the many MANY threads right here about the amazing findings regarding medicinal marijuana. And you completely ignored the easily verifiable statement of fact that I made immediately prior to the sentence you quoted. You didn't even ask why I would say that and consider that maybe -- just maybe -- I knew something you didn't. You didn't even try to use facts to debunk what I said. And, of course, you can't, because what I said is true. But if you had tried, then you would have found that out. Googling "cannabinoids + immune system" brings up about 472,000 results, and the first page includes published peer reviewed clinical studies.

So why on earth did you think you knew enough to make such comments? That's a genuine question. Not rhetorical. What made you think you knew so much about something that you never even bothered to research?

Pew conducted a study recently which found that too many people don't know the difference between their opinion and fact. This is a perfect example. You might want to find that study on Google too and learn the difference between your opinions and verified/verifiable facts.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Discretion is the leo's best friend.

Discretion is exactly what separates the usa from communist countries.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
this is beyond idiotic change the laws already

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

If you get caught driving on an expired license, it's against the law. If you are caught hunting/fishing with an expired license it's against the law. If you get caught smoking with an expired license, it's also against the law.

While I don't believe that jail should be an option in any case, but it's clearly a violation and should be prosecuted.
edit on 6-8-2018 by kelbtalfenek because: clarity

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

What happens when the government is illegal and makes everything illegal for profit and removal from employment?

They have even circumvented the 2nd with this behavior.

They have been activly taking the 2nd ammendment rights away from people who register for their money scheme.

Screw the justice department, they need f'n reamed out and gutted yesterday.

Bunch of wealth re-distributing strong-atm robbers.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Sigh...

I suspect 9 out of 10 officers would have just confiscated the stuff, warned her and pushed her to get the card renewed.

LEO's are the first buffer against over application of laws. If not, the courts would be so busy half the country would need to be in the legal profession. The law is the law has never been the case and I think that's intentional.

This looks like an example of an overzealous person with a badge. Nothing wrong was done legally, but it shows bad judgement. Even the court agreed with that by dropping the charges.

I'm thinking that officer needed a little private talk about the use of discretion.
edit on 8/6/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This is wrong and the cop was wrong for arresting the old lady.
Do you realize how many stupid laws each person breaks every day and don't even realize? Waste of tax dollars and no wonder so many actual crimes go unpunished.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I can't understand how people can see this any other way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join