It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Judge Ordered Deputies to Tape Man's Mouth Shut During Sentencing

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Annee

I guess shooting him in the head would also have shut him up?

Or maybe cutting out his tongue would have sufficed?

This is medieval treatment any way you care to look at it and exceptionally poor form in this day of age, issued at the whim of a man who holds position of power that should darn well know better.

Talk about extremism.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Some might say, myself included, that gagging an already bound Man in such an unsafe manner is also extremism.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You do know they have what is called goon squads in prison. If you don't listen to what is asked of you there, they send in the goons and you are about to have a very bad day. And from the looks of it in the video, they had a goon squad there already. My guess would be this guy is big time trouble and the court and the police there were using restraint. So he got off easy with duct tape. If you had a choice between duct tape and a beatdown which would you pick?
All lives matter to most people but not everyone. That is why he is in court being sentenced because some peoples lives didn't matter to him.
The guy made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I would take the beatdown any day of the week as long as i was on my feet to be honest.

Rather than be degraded and humiliated by being gagged and bound.

They could have sentenced him without gagging and humiliating him easily if they had wished.

edit on 3-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

How am i spreading or race-baiting anyone?

I already said how.

The word "Black" has been removed from the title because it seems to have caused such an issue.

And even that answers your own question.

The point is gagging anyone in a court is wrong on quite a few levels above and bellow any racial concerns.

No, it's not. It's either that, or remove the guy completely from the courtroom and not allow him to be present during his own court appearance. Personally, if I was in front of a judge, I would prefer to stay there, even if I don't have the self control to keep my mouth shut.

But, you do know what's wrong? Not shutting the f**k up when the judge tells you too...multiple times...over the course of 30 minutes...

I think that your disdain is focused on the wrong problem, here.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I would have gone with a ball gag but whatever works in a pinch.

Look, if you're in court and the judge says "Shut the eff up" you shut the eff up. You had your turn to talk, and defying the judge isn't going to help you any. Especially at a sentencing hearing.
Somebody said this was his trial. You were wrong, it was his sentencing, the trial was over. If you're going to complain, realize his time for defending himself is way past being over, a sentencing is for deciding what the punishment is.

Crying impulse control problems to defend him doesn't fly. If I did it to be an ass and you cried impulse control problems, I'd think you're an idiot playing right into my manipulative hands.

edit on 8/3/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/3/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Back in December, Williams was convicted on charges of aggravated robbery, kidnapping, theft, misuse of credit cards and having weapons under a disability.

So convicted of kidnapping and people are upset he had his mouth taped when clearly he was being a complete idiot at sentencing? I think the concern is misplaced and the only concern should be for the victims(s).

This is Williams second trial in this particular case. Initially, at his first trial, he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to up to 14 years in prison, but was granted an appeal after it was discovered he had not been clearly informed about when he would be eligible for release.

That's grounds for an appeal after he plead guilty to a horrible crime? Now that is an issue worthy of discussion. The tape is a non issue he obviously brought on himself with his own stupidity.
edit on 8/3/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

"I think that your disdain is focused on the wrong problem, here."

So whats the real problem in your eyes?

Because it sure is not colour, and there was a multitude of other options at the judge's disposal other than unsafe gaffer taping the Mans' Mouth closed.

The issue is what transpired in a court of law, that being the completely unsafe act of gagging a Man, hence also an unlawful act, down to the whims of a Man that should know better.

Simple really.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

How can tapping a Mans mouth closed in court be a non-issue???

Whats the bet the next appeals procedure don't see what happened as a non-issue?

This will have further implications, that's a given.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You are of the opinion that this was wrong.

I know for a fact that, legally, the judge is within his rights.

You object morally--that's fine.

However, this was not "unsafe" by any measure. You seem to have likened this to taping his mouth and then locking him in a room without access to people or help if necessary. Sheesh--if a violent defendant is shackled, are you similarly outrages because he may starve to death eventually if not allowed to reach his mouth with his hands?

I was a paralegal, and I know that the judge, in his/her courtroom, has full control over what happens. This was not an unlawful act, no matter how many times you continue to virtue signal over this particular matter. We get it, you don't like the actions--fine, but your claims of illegality and "unsafe" actions is asinine.

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention the real problem--this assclown in the defendant's seat not shutting his damn mouth. I thought that was pretty clear in my comment.

edit on 3-8-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Whats the bet the next appeals procedure don't see what happened as a non-issue?

I'll take that bet.

This will have further implications, that's a given.

No, nothing that you have said thus far is a given--in fact, most of it is factually incorrect.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Well, time will tell i imagine.

The facts pretty much speak for themselves by way of the video.

The fact is the Man was gagged in a very unsafe manner, by a judge that had other options.

I think the Man will have some kind of grounds for an appeal just down to the treatment he received which is cruel and unusual.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I mean I'd prefer my mouth taped over contempt of Court. He kind of got off easy

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If the criminal had been "Disrespected" on his own turf, duct tape would be the least of the "offenders" worries. He got what he deserved, IMO.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Do you realize that its complete and utterly unsafe to gag someone in such a fashion and the man could have died?

Killing people in court with out a death sentence seems quite complicated to me.

You really think it was unsafe or are you just being emotional? He was still chatting even with the duct tape.

You have a right to remain silent in court and that's the best option to take. Let your lawyers do the talking and the judge told him several times he will get his chance to address the court.

His rights weren't trampled on he wasn't put in danger and really just made his trial far more complicated. The guy is dumb let your lawyer talk for you.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Taping his mouth shut or gagging someone in court is not new and this one deserved it. Didn't you watch the video?

Do you think violent, convicted criminals should be treated like fragile little flowers? I don't. He was not hurt, the judge just made a point to a man who deserves whatever happens to him.

Try putting tape on your mouth. You will find it does not harm you in the slightest. The judge did nothing wrong and I will never have empathy for a violent criminal.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Taping his mouth shut or gagging him in an improper fashion is indeed illegal, and the gaffa tape says that's exactly the case.

Convicted criminal or otherwise he is still a person or do you disagree?

He was not being violent nor aggressive at the time, simply disruptive to the proceedings of the court, which does not warrant gagging, more like an additional contempt of court change.

People have died and asphyxiated under similar circumstance so what kind of health and safety procedures were being observed at the time are beyond me.

Courts are about justice, not humiliation, nor cruel or unusual punishment which gaffa tap gags qualify as.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I don't think it's unsafe i know it is!

Stands to reason for anyone with half a brain. LoL

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

a reply to: JDmOKI

I don't think it's unsafe i know it is!

Stands to reason for anyone with half a brain. LoL

Don't know how to breathe through the nose?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Don't know how to breathe through the nose?

The web is primarily comprised of mouth breathers. Where have you been? And don't you sometimes gasp?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join