It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ready Player One

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Even though this did pretty decent in the box office, i believe this was a massively overlooked movie...

Steven Spielberg's directed... A movie with takes place in a world coming to you very soon...

Perhaps not quite this intense, but the way this world works... its very possible

Just as "idiocracy" is slowly becoming a reality....this world might exist in the future!

Virtual Reality is around the corner... and already becoming fully immersive apparently...

The trailer does the movie very little justice...

And though its a very new movie... its one of my favorites

IF you are a gamer... or even have been in the past...

YOU should watch this movie

it might be the literal future

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Cheers, just called my son out of his room. Said, "This looks okay" Reply,,,"Seen it dad and yeah its alright."

"Go back to your cell!"

hahha,

kind regards,

bally

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I loved this movie saw it in imax 3D when it came out and it’s a must for any gamer or just fans of pop culture.

However.....

I hate to be that guy but....

The book is just sooooo much better and if you have only seeen the movie then you need to read the book. It was the book that got me so hyped for the movie not the amazing trailers.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Watch it man...

I tend to be the "who's in it?" type... Simon Peg...

Love that guy!

And though he plays a tiny role, the cast is still great!

Every gaming system since the dawn of gaming is mentioned... even Coleco has a brief cameo! lol

This movie is a must watch for anyone who has ever played a video game

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I loved this movie saw it in imax 3D when it came out and it’s a must for any gamer or just fans of pop culture.

However.....

I hate to be that guy but....

The book is just sooooo much better and if you have only seeen the movie then you need to read the book. It was the book that got me so hyped for the movie not the amazing trailers.

Right, I would usually agree about books being better then movies but... How can you describe a world you get to see in ready player one, very visual movie!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

Trust me just read it, it’s one of the best books ever if you love gaming and pop culture the plot is much better and if you have the imagination for it you are in for a real treat.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ohhh buddy, I have quite the visual imagination! Just like Halo, loved the games, but when I was in Iraq once upon a time and super bored, I read every book they had... The games had nothing anymore, kinda bummed me out. The books were amazing though

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

Then go read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and you can come back and thank me later

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

The book was one of the best pop culture books I've read. Especially if you love everything 80's, classic video game, movie references, tv show references, programming, japan etc.

Basically everything from your childhood if were a teen in the 80's.

If you don't want to read the book. The audio book is narrated by Will Wheaton.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I'm a gamer who grew up in the 80s when the pop culture references in this movie took place. I found the movie very........meh. The action and special effects and pacing were spot on, I wish I could say the same about the writing and plot.

Sadly, even the pop references were often groan inducing. The CEO trying to convince the hero he is a cool guy by 'Throwing on some Duran Duran, playing Robotron and drinking Tab'? Ugh.

edit on 17-7-2018 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

A big issue I had with the movie was how the absolutely murdered the first challenge to find the first key, like totally destroyed it, its entirely different form the complexity of the book.

And its frankly stupid that he basically just has to drive backwards, as if nobody would have figured that out a long time ago.

meh.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
cool film i love it

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

And its frankly stupid that he basically just has to drive backwards, as if nobody would have figured that out a long time ago.

In this game of life..............did you ever think to look back to find what is real?
In this game of life...looking looks 'out' usually.

But 'we are looking for what is looking' - or so saint Francis of Assisi said.
edit on 19-9-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm a gamer and have a decent grasp of pop culture. Movie was okay, had some moments, but was pretty formulatic. Meh

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm a gamer and have a decent grasp of pop culture. Movie was okay, had some moments, but was pretty formulatic. Meh

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I missed this initially, good for sharing. Might check it out despite not caring for current movies that are on the market. I agree with the above comment about it being formulaic. Also, interested in the soundtrack score as well, to see where sci- fi movies are going music wise- assuming more into the Futurepop sound.

top topics

join