It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the list of reasons NASA and JPL would choose to NOT disclose life on Mars?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
If they found some sort of bacterial, microbial or even multicellular organisms there is no reason at all to hide it. I doubt the public would go nuts because of the revelation (I think that most people would lose interest really fast or not care at all) and they (NASA) could get a large increase in their funding just to further study it.

But if we're speaking of intelligent life or evidence of it having existed in the past...I don't know, I'm sure the governments have all sorts of studies about the impact of such news on society, so who knows, there may be a lot of potential reasons to hide it. But honestly, I think that in our day and age, except for some groups of radicals or fanatics, people wouldn't really care that much, as a society we've become much more adaptable to change -for best or worse- and I think that most people can accept the existense of intelligent extraterrestial life somewhere.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think the most likely reason to Deny that Life exists on Mars is because Any-All Indigenous Life on Mars would automatically shut down the Mars Exploration Operations underway now... and planned for the Future

No More Contamination of the Mars biosphere would be the new Paradigm...

but Arrogant humans would devise a work-around and rationalizations to interfere with the Alien lifeforms found there and invade that once 'pristine' ecology

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

That is actually a brilliantly thought out argument.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
a reply to: smurfy

Any reason that has anything to do with national security, would not be "tenable" from a practical standpoint.

NASA most definitely destroyed what Richard Hoover claims was a Crinoid fossil....okay a fossil perhaps,but if so, it lived at one time in a watery environment. Hoover is ex-NASA scientist and is as credible as some current examples that are around at the present. The sceptic interviewer here was set to put Hoover down, it didn't work out that way...and his findings about his examination of a meteorite back a while are also not quite the picture that was painted by others back then.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
After only adding two more distinct possibilities, I think we have reached the limit of what I can add to my current list for right now.

Also, please make sure you do not confuse the 2020 rover, WITH the Exomars rover. They are not the same mission.

Thanks for all of your input, ATS, I appreciate it.

I am taking a hiatus on my expedition into possibility, for this scenario.

My own opinion is irrelevant to the thread subject, but I will state, I still hold my belief that non-terrestrial organisms have been identified, or at the very least, observed.

We have a massive dragnet for this, and I don't see a reason why anyone should jump the gun with a press release "Hey guys! We found something!"

We need more trusted sources, that are able to back check a claim like that. So until we have secondary confirmation sources, I would guess such a public statement will be postponed, regardless of the current situation.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The decision to disclose a revelation such as this, if indeed there is a revelation, will not be made by NASA or JPL. It will come from much higher up. Information, especially of this magnitude ,is power. The power is money, politics and business or a combination thereof.

The PTB that would authorize the release of a discovery like this will wait until all their respective ducks are in a row, so they can maximize the return of "investment", if you will, from letting go of that information.

Sadly, this is true of most everything today, when it comes to the public being vetted into what we all paid for.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I strongly believe that beyond earth,we will find life in our own solar system. Only Microbial Life, that is. Hopefully in my lifetime

As for for intelligent life in the universe. My belief is that their has to be, but at the moment, just a belief until we 100% find the evidence that this is the case. Sadly, I do not think this will be in my lifetime

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I honestly think if life had been discovered, regardless of the shape it took, they would keep it quiet because you have several billion people out there who despite using mobile phones, tablets, computers and TV etc, still believe in sky fairies and would totally lose their # if life outside of Big Daddy Spooks Special Ball of Dirt existed.

I mean there are honestly a lot of people out there who would kill or start wars over such "blasphemous work of the devil"

Because much easier to deny and eliminate things than to face them and have to question your entire life and beliefs.

Well that's my take on it any way.

I have seriously met people who think dinosaurs didn't exist and the bones were put there by the Devil to make us stop believing in God.
Could you imagine those same people if they found out about aliens, even aliens that were just bacteria?
Some of those folks own guns and an already thin grasp on reality as it is.
edit on 20-7-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: had to embed dark magics and spirit traps in post. you have been warned. The FSM will get you if you read this.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

I side with Phage's reply. Additionally, there probably is "maco-cellular life" (sic) all over the universe so there is no reason for NASA (not JPL) to even talk about it. We're not concerned with macro-cellular life, we're concerned with non-human beings. And there's no evidence for such, just hearsay, UFOs notwithstanding.

You said:
"#2 Brookings Report - Mass hysteria
I find this less likely, given that even the Pope is willing to endorse life on other planets as a possibility."

I don't think that anyone with a rational mind cares what a cult leader says about a subject he has no concept of. His endorsement is moot.

So to get to the point of your thread's title, there is no list.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: The Shrike

Well I for one and many others I know would like to know of any life found outside of Earth even if it's microscopic.
Because if even so much as bacteria is out there, it reinforces the chance of there being more advanced life as well and gives science further ammo against nay sayers and would surely help space researchers more funding etc.

Not sure why anyone would not be interested outside of those who it would conflict with their spiritual beliefs, especially those who are mostly interested in big headed grey coloured humanoid aliens.
edit on 21-7-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: made some modifiactions.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo

Well I for one and many others I know would like to know of any life found outside of Earth even if it's microscopic.
Because if even so much as bacteria is out there, it reinforces the chance of there being more advanced life as well and gives science further ammo against nay sayers and would surely help space researchers more funding etc.

Not sure why anyone would not be interested outside of those who it would conflict with their spiritual beliefs, especially those who are mostly interested in big headed grey coloured humanoid aliens.

How is your life going to change and your knowledge improved because there is bacterial life outside of Earth? We don't need any more space exploration. Enough is enough and not one single person has benefitted from looking at Saturn or Jupiter or even Mars when we have this beautiful planet that has not been fully explored? And now with the Georgia Guidestones suggesting that humanity be culled from billions to 500,000,000 we don't need to colonize any other planet.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

And the point of your post, was...?

Obviously, if I just made a list. There is a list.

Suppositions about intentions have nothing to do with my thread.

Here, let me fix this question to a way that you don't feel threatened and/or are being forced to be dismissive due to some sort of paid shill position. I don't really care if you are one of those two things, or just a very skeptical poster. Your response is irrelevant in this thread.

If there was a separate universe, that isn't this one, and that universe is the exact same, except NASA/JPL have evidence of some advanced life that they haven't talked about, in that universe.

Why would they have done so, in that universe?

This thread is a thought experiment, not trying to say any of the things in this list are the "truth" or something. (As far as anyone else's opinion is concerned)

I choose to believe what I believe, you choose to believe what you believe. There is no harm in pondering possibility.
edit on 22-7-2018 by Archivalist because: I'm getting deja vu with both the amount of people taking counter points and the fact that I basically said all of this, a page or two back already.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

And the point of your post, was...?

Without any intent of getting into a flaming war, The point of my reply was to offer my opinion, which in this public forum I'm allowed.

Obviously, if I just made a list. There is a list.

Suppositions about intentions have nothing to do with my thread.

Here, let me fix this question to a way that you don't feel threatened and/or are being forced to be dismissive due to some sort of paid shill position. I don't really care if you are one of those two things, or just a very skeptical poster. Your response is irrelevant in this thread.

You don't need to fix your simple question. I do not feel threatened by you. I was not dismissive. I hold no shill position, paid or not. Yes, I am skeptical depending on the situation. My response is relevant in this and all threads. You are a forum member as I am with no special privilege. As long as I respect the terms I have a right to post my opinion. You may not share my views but the Administration says they're welcome. You have a less than friendly attitude.

If there was a separate universe, that isn't this one, and that universe is the exact same, except NASA/JPL have evidence of some advanced life that they haven't talked about, in that universe.

Suppositions don't count.

Why would they have done so, in that universe?

Mindless.

This thread is a thought experiment, not trying to say any of the things in this list are the "truth" or something. (As far as anyone else's opinion is concerned)

Oops, mea culpa. I thought I was in the ATS Aliens and UFOs forum.

I choose to believe what I believe, you choose to believe what you believe. There is no harm in pondering possibility.

Choose also to respect the rights of others who hold different opinions. Possibilities keeps us going. But mindless possibilities are the realm of mental disorder.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

It's called "Multitasking"

Humans are pretty good at it.

We can explore space, and this world of ours. Absolutely no reason why we can't do both.

Staying on one world is insane. Space is dangerous, with plenty of things that could wipe us out. No need to keep all the eggs in one basket. The record shows that those species on our planet that don't make it off of it, tend to get wiped out, by either something on this planet, or by plenty of things out in space (you might stop an asteroid, but a GRB would be impossible to stop).

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You're right man.

Sorry, I let my personal life get into my post personality there. (Not gonna lie, have some issues on my mind that don't involve ATS.)

I appreciate your posts in my thread.

Counter points are more constructive than "yes man" agreement.

You make me think.

Skepticism makes everyone think.

It's the right move. Thanks.

I apologize Shrike, I was unintentionally being a doof.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   

You're right man.

Sorry, I let my personal life get into my post personality there. (Not gonna lie, have some issues on my mind that don't involve ATS.)

I appreciate your posts in my thread.

Counter points are more constructive than "yes man" agreement.

You make me think.

Skepticism makes everyone think.

It's the right move. Thanks.

I apologize Shrike, I was unintentionally being a doof.

Wow! If we ever meet, you have a gentle, reassuring hug coming. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

We can explore space, and this world of ours. Absolutely no reason why we can't do both.

Staying on one world is insane. Space is dangerous, with plenty of things that could wipe us out. No need to keep all the eggs in one basket. The record shows that those species on our planet that don't make it off of it, tend to get wiped out, by either something on this planet, or by plenty of things out in space (you might stop an asteroid, but a GRB would be impossible to stop).

Actually, in a friendly way I disagree. We have no business exploring space. Our energies should be concentrated on finding some way to worldwide peace. And exploring our planet should be our priority. Humans were a mistake of creation. We, or them, are wasting our/their minds. Since we were not all created equal, we were never meant to live peacefully with each other. The way we have developed, we have no business looking for other pied-a-terres 'cause we are a war mongering species. And it would be impossible for humans to exist anywhere else always with the intent of annihilation.

Leaving this planet for another is not something I'll be around to experience so, at the moment, I don't support it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   

If the earth was destroyed any colony on mars would fall apart in a couple of years. As we learned with bio dome we can't even sustain a biosphere on earth much less another planet. When they attempted to run biosphere 2 oxygen levels could not be maintained within 2 years it became almost unlivable. They cheated had to recycle the air the plants all died along with animals they brought in.

The money being spent to get to mars could be used to protect this planet. Because if we lose the earth there won't be a replacement. And any colony would need support from earth to maintain life. We have the technology to prevent comets from hitting the earth. We just don't have a system in place to do it. If we found a comet was going to hit earth if we had a years notice we could stop it. Less then that and we will likely die.

We should have a launch ready to intercept comets so it would take weeks instead of a year.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Actually, working together in space tends to promote countries working together.

Again: multi tasking. No where is it written that space exploration must be the priority, and world peace takes a back burner position.

Humans have benefited from space exploration. If we'd never bothered to try and put things in orbit, you'd not be enjoying global communications, weather satellites, climate studies, solar observatories from way out in orbit around the sun that can help with solar flare and CME warnings (which could be quite bad for a power grids), to finally keeping an eye out for things that want to smack into our planet.

Fact is: space exploration has been on the back burner compared to everything else. Imagine what could have been achieved if the budget for space exploration had matched the US's military budget for all these decades.

There really isn't any reason we can't work on both.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: The Shrike

Actually, in a friendly way I disagree. We have no business exploring space. Our energies should be concentrated on finding some way to worldwide peace. And exploring our planet should be our priority. Humans were a mistake of creation. We, or them, are wasting our/their minds. Since we were not all created equal, we were never meant to live peacefully with each other. The way we have developed, we have no business looking for other pied-a-terres 'cause we are a war mongering species. And it would be impossible for humans to exist anywhere else always with the intent of annihilation.

Leaving this planet for another is not something I'll be around to experience so, at the moment, I don't support it.

I agree with a lot you are saying. Humans are a virus on this planet, destroying everything we touch. We are so primitive that we still take pride in country patrioism, which is how the powers that be get away with so much!

As for space exploration, I think it is needed, but we have to sort this planet out first. How can we spend billions on space exploration when men, women and children are starving to death, or caught up in these terrible wars. Where plastic is poisoning us, and rainforests being cut down at an alarming rate!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join