It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the list of reasons NASA and JPL would choose to NOT disclose life on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm in the list of crackpots, that believe Mars currently hosts maco-cellular life.

So, what reasons are good reasons that JPL and NASA would choose to withhold that disclosure?

My ideas so far:

#1 It would nullify scientists that have spent their whole lives planning a research project on some other celestial body or phenomena.
If NASA or JPL discloses life on Mars, those scientists would have their life's work cast aside.
I feel it is likely, they would refocus all of those pending projects on Mars. Those scientists would be forced to participate solely in projects involving Mars.

#2 Brookings Report - Mass hysteria
I find this less likely, given that even the Pope is willing to endorse life on other planets as a possibility.

#3 Incompetence - I don't like this explanation, because the scientists and researchers involved are definitely more intelligent than myself. If macrocellular life was there, they would know before I do.

#4 Waiting for second confirmation - From a scientific standpoint, this makes sense. It's better to be right slowly, than wrong quickly.
NASA and JPL may be waiting for a second project or second group, to go to Mars and confirm their findings from Curiosity.
They may literally just be waiting, until EXOmars can confirm the same conclusion. Else-wise they risk being proven wrong, which may be worse.

#5 Militaristic reasons - Maybe we are obtaining mineral information that could indicate potential Uranium sources on Mars.
We definitely wouldn't want another country to go there, and attempt to call dibs. Cold War era level of thought, but completely possible.
Russia's space program attempted to send a rover that could navigate and record radiation. That mission failed, however.

#6 Duress - Maybe there is some "invisible hand" preventing that disclosure, from behind the scenes. AKA "illuminati" "annunaki" "alien race with vested interest"
Silly idea, but still, technically on the table for this discussion.

I am open to other possibilities.

What are your ideas on this, ATS?
edit on 14-7-2018 by Archivalist because: grammaer

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There is no good reason (as you point out), other than there is nothing which confirms current or past life on Mars.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Not speculation.

edit on 7/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The Old World went to the New World.... and look at the results.... Millions died of biological toxins of one sort or another...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus
We try harder (look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls).

planetaryprotection.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

If Macro Cellular life (Complex organism's) do still exist upon mars the reason not to mount an official disclosure and to hide it from the public would be to prevent culture shock, religious and economic stress, personally I don't believe there is currently Macro Cellular life upon the 'surface' of mars though I do believe it is likely and indeed truly believe there was in the past, this too though could face censure for the very same reason's if absolute evidence of it could be provided and such images would likely be doctored before release air brush monkey style.
As for micro cellular life I believe that may still be present there and most likely below the surface were geothermal heat may allow liquid water to still be present especially chemo synthetic organisms.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I was thinking of the Tales of Tomorrow movie, Red Dust. But you are right, we do make a primary concern and directive.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I believe it is possible there are specialized arthropods or mollusks on Mars.

Mollusks shells have a high amount of Calcium Carbonate.

In heating/refreezing cycles, Calcium Carbonate can absorb elements around it and utilize CO2 to produce viable oxygen and/or water.

An organism capable of taking advantage of that free energy, free water, and free oxygen, may be just fine "near" the surface.

In those conditions, Calc Carbo can be magnitudes more absorptive of moisture, than silica gel desiccant packets.

All an organism has to do, is take advantage of that energy differential.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

...the reason not to mount an official disclosure and to hide it from the public would be to prevent culture shock, religious and economic stress...

I really used to believe that, even a few years ago, however;
While it would be a major revelation, I do not think that the public would freak out, like they would have years ago. I base that on conversations with peers, friends and family lately. I think most people just believe that life is probably everywhere.

What would probably make people freak out, would be the disclosure related to Earth activities with E.T., and the exposure of the massive cover up that our government (supposedly) perpetrated to keep most of it a secret. Sure, conjecture at best, but just what else could it be?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Just understand how a hoax would work in
NASAs favor. The pics belong to them.
They doctor the pics to show anomalies.
Someone makes sure they get noticed
into the current of public awareness.
Boom public interest is at it's peak.
NASA plays the denial game because
guess why?

There isn't a ga damn thing there but red
dirt.

Not that hard to see at all.

Culture shock my ass. That would've happened
with the face way back when. Doesn't make any
sense at all.
edit on Rpm71418v47201800000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Because the Martians told us not to? I believe it's possible that there is some type of microbial life below the surface. if that was found to be true, I don't think anyone would freak out. Little green men? Now that would probably do the trick.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Because the Martians asked politely so they wouldn't be accused of stealing elections.

Duh.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I have a harder time seeing dirt, than I do for seeing organic evidence in the Mars rover images.

The Curiosity image dump is pretty much bursting at the seams, when it comes to evidence of organic presence.

Whether those organisms are still alive, or just used to be alive, is the only thing I find controversial.

Self admittedly, they don't go around looking for fossils.
They pursue water sources and currently alive, life forms.

You don't even need a keen eye, to tell that many of the rover images have structures that are more likely to be organic, than sheer rock/sand.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Look for something that has been actioned by NASA that could be described as deliberate obfuscation of evidence....thereby making a case for any reason for non-disclosure tenable...you don't need to be in a club for that!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

They pursue water sources and currently alive, life forms.

Actually, that's not what they "pursue."
mars.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I highly doubt NASA would hide anything like that. Find proof of life, even if it's just bacteria and they get way more funding to do what they would like to do.

It's probably time to abandon the old science fiction idea they would not reveal out of some kind of concern over causing panic or any other problem. It's simply not rational. If it were revealed tomorrow that they found positive proof of prior life on Mars, nothing bad would happen as a result.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Because the general consensus is the people of earth could not handle the fact life is elsewhere in the galaxy. The brookings report from the 60's asked these questions and concluded the existence of alien life / artifacts should be withheld.

The fear is what that knowledge would do the society in terms of religious incompatibility. Given several major religions, Vatican included, have openly stated the existence of ET does not contradict religious doctrine I think we are slowly seeing a roll out of life. It will start small, like microbes and what not and work its way up.

Personally I refuse to believe that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe.

IE the government thinks it knows whats best for the people and people should trusty the government.

Going down the conspiracy rabbit hole I think it revolves around the question of -
How will the government know its time to disclose life to the masses?

I believe, as time goes on, you will have more and more people calling bs on the government regarding ET, eventually reaching critical mass for disclosure.

If enough people start demanding to know the truth then the government has confirmation the populace is ready. Kind of a reverse psychology maneuver.
edit on 14-7-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The brookings report from the 60's asked these questions and concluded the existence of alien life / artifacts should be withheld.
Are you sure that's what the conclusion was?
ntrs.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You forgot #7. we can't leave earth

or

#8. we've already colonized Mars and this is a cover-up

to me, the answer lies in finding out what the Nazi's were after in Antarctica. They are related somehow.
edit on 14-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think ...... they are worried about the millions and millions of people who do not take kinda to being lied to about something like this.... which makes peoples next question.. What other important things have you been lying about.... which sends people off looking into things they do not want people looking into.... SO they are gonna stick to their story at all costs.....and when it becomes impossible to hide.... a bunch of men in suits are going to fake outrage about having this information withheld from them..... and tell the unwashed masses.... see I am on your side,,, I am a victim too.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

What are the list of reasons NASA and JPL would choose to NOT disclose life on Mars?

There is nothing to disclose ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join