It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the list of reasons NASA and JPL would choose to NOT disclose life on Mars?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This guy in the vid below doesn't think a human Mars colony is possible (WG Summit 2018. Dubai).

I can't see any reason to leave this planet.

Surely it's easier to fix Earths problems. Than to live in an artificial situation.

This is one logical solution which i believe is a step in the right direction www.space.com...

Fact is: space exploration has been on the back burner compared to everything else. Imagine what could have been achieved if the budget for space exploration had matched the US's military budget for all these decades. There really isn't any reason we can't work on both.

Nasa has the biggest budget. But. It is only 0.75% of the tax dollar. Half the budget is for ongoing projects.

If you really want to do space. It's going to cost a lot more than 0.75% $ to do it.

I don't see why Nasa would not disclose life on Mars. It wouldn't change anything really. Imo.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: The Shrike
How is your life going to change and your knowledge improved because there is bacterial life outside of Earth? We don't need any more space exploration. Enough is enough and not one single person has benefitted from looking at Saturn or Jupiter or even Mars when we have this beautiful planet that has not been fully explored? And now with the Georgia Guidestones suggesting that humanity be culled from billions to 500,000,000 we don't need to colonize any other planet.

How is your life going to change and your knowledge improved because there is bacterial life outside of Earth?

Well anything that adds to my knowledge improves it. It changes my life because I now have something I did not have before. It stops me wondering and starts me knowing.
Hey you assess and worry about your wants and needs for life and your intelligence and I'll worry about mine.

Just because you want something a certain way, doesn't mean we all do, or should.
How does anyone else wanting these things impact your life negatively?

Enough is enough and not one single person has benefitted from looking at Saturn or Jupiter or even Mars when we have this beautiful planet that has not been fully explored?

Pretty sure many scientific things like this have trickle fed down into our day to day lives.
Plus imagine how backwards we'd be if we ignored science because no benefit was seen at the beginning of certain endeavors? Most people did not see any benefits to mould. Someone saw penicillin.

Here's a short list of nearly 1800 spin off technologies that came about thanks to just NASA alone:

Artificial limbs
Baby formula
Cell-phone cameras
Computer mouse
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Firefighter gear
Freeze-dried food
Golf clubs
Long-distance communication
Invisible braces
MRI and CAT scans
Memory foam
Safer highways
Solar panels
Shoe insoles
Ski boots
Adjustable smoke detector
Water filters
UV-blocking sunglasses

Imagine how even your own life would be now if you had your way? Some of us can see the future, that new things lay around the corner. Against the entire time span mankind has existed, we're not even yet infants in space exploration.
How many of those item do you use regularly or day to day?

Maybe we find the cure to cancer and aids, or maybe even death itself on Mars or Saturn? But we'll never know if we never go and look.

And now with the Georgia Guidestones suggesting that humanity be culled from billions to 500,000,000 we don't need to colonize any other planet.

lolwut. I don't even.....
So let me guess you're going to be the first to sign up to be culled?
Seriously you think the only motivation to space exploration is over-population?

Please tell me you're trolling here. Because if you're serious with that nonsense then I even more so want off this planet. lol

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
I can't see any reason to leave this planet.

Surely it's easier to fix Earths problems. Than to live in an artificial situation.

Why does leaving Earth need to be based on problems.
Can we not just leave Earth because "Why not?" or "Because we can?"

Occasionally I like to travel and see and experience new things because it's fun and exciting. Not because it fixes my problems.
Do you not ever do anything unnecessary in life?

It's like asking why do you bother posting on ATS? because surely getting off your computer and fixing the Earth is better than posting on a unessential to life website.
Regardless of how you look at it, being online is also an 'artificial situation' that generally fixes nothing.
We do it because we can and because we want to.
Do we really need any other motivation than that?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Seriously to those who don't want to go to space, that see no benefit to it, that's fine. You're free to feel that way and stay here.
But please do not try to hold the rest of us back and decide how we should live thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Why does leaving Earth need to be based on problems. Can we not just leave Earth because "Why not?" or "Because we can?"

That is the main reason for needing to leave Earth.

If we can. Then yes. Why not? Let's go.

Did you watch the vid?

A lot of it is to do with money/investment. And the lack of a drive to do it (no cold war with Russia). What's in it for the investor? Etc.

Not me being sat at my computer. Pay more taxes. If you really want to go. "Because we can?"

Can we?

It's like asking why do you bother posting on ATS?

Because i don't see things the same as most. Nobody is convincing me otherwise.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
That's a good question.

Because there is no life anywhere else maybe?

Or maybe to keep us fighting amongst ourselves down here on Earth?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

My post was not in reply to the video. My post was in reply to you.
Just giving my opinion on it. I respect that you see things differently to I.

Neither of us is wrong.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

No worries.

That's cool.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Or maybe to keep us fighting amongst ourselves down here on Earth?

Sadly I think some have a preference for conflict and division.
Life without it would be boring for them,it would feel alien.
Many people are loathe to change. The new and different scares them.
They want the same routine they've always had, it makes them feel secure.
What's that saying about old dogs and new tricks?

Seems mad to fight over finite resources down here, when there is an infinite amount up there.
Some just really cannot see the bigger picture. Some don't want to.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If we disclosed life on Mars, would that put us into a position where teraforming Mars becomes an international "no-go"

?
I feel like we need to be on multiple floating space rocks, more than we need to respect nearby microbes.

If this were the reason, I'm not sure whether to be upset or thankful.

:/ Conflict

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Archivalist

They pursue water sources and currently alive, life forms.

Actually, that's not what they "pursue."
mars.nasa.gov...

Insert John Cena meme "Are you sure about that?"

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
I'm in the list of crackpots, that believe Mars currently hosts maco-cellular life.

So, what reasons are good reasons that JPL and NASA would choose to withhold that disclosure?

#6 Duress - Maybe there is some "invisible hand" preventing that disclosure, from behind the scenes.

Yes,it's pointless to blame NASA.They are just doing what they are told to do.I'm sure NASA would love nothing more than to announce the discovery of life on Mars,if indeed they found it,but that is not their decision to make.There are much bigger players involved.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

They suspect Mars became habitable 130 MILLION YEARS before earth did.

So, we might trace our ancestry to Mars or there may even be a Johnny-come-lately after the planet was scrubbed by whatever levelled most of it's landscape.

Purely speculation, of course.

mars became habitable way sooner

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: reject

They suspect Mars became habitable 130 MILLION YEARS before earth did.

And that it died shortly thereafter.

New results from NASA's MAVEN spacecraft suggest that the Red Planet lost most of its carbon dioxide-dominated atmosphere — which had kept Mars relatively warm and allowed the planet to support liquid surface water — to space about 3.7 billion years ago.
www.space.com...

Unless there's some reason to think that evolution proceeded a lot faster on Mars than it did on Earth, Martian life didn't have much time to develop very far.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Earth life still may have gotten it's start on Mars, though.

I remember reading that Mars at one point came extremely close to earth.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

"computer mouse"

Nice to see that NASA incorporated PARC and Xerox, m8.

I think your list includes many items that were evolutions of current technology that would have happened organically, anyway.

UV blocking sunglasses

Let's see, we had umbrellas, we had glasses.
Umbrellas block UV

Of course the idea wouldn't have dawned on any individual, without the help of NASA.

I mean, NASA is some magical beast that invents space age technology and isn't made of individual people.

People, that were they not part of NASA, would completely have never invented any of those technologies.
edit on 6-8-2018 by Archivalist because: needed to make sure my post had an appropriate amount of sarcasm

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Not really, no.

But bits of Mars have been found on Earth. Trouble is, they're too young. The famous one (ALH 84001) is about 16 million years. Mars was dead, dead, dead by then and they only landed on Earth about 2 million years ago.

edit on 8/6/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That is just one meteorite.

It's almost certain there were others before and after.

It's fringe but there are ideas that Mars made a close approach to earth (i.e. velikovsky.)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Not really, no.

But bits of Mars have been found on Earth. Trouble is, they're too young. The famous one (ALH 84001) is about 16 million years. Mars was dead, dead, dead by then and they only landed on Earth about 2 million years ago.

Your post implies that something couldn't have been chilling in semi-stable orbit for 14 million years. Got any reason that couldn't be the case?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It's fringe but there are ideas that Mars made a close approach to earth (i.e. velikovsky.)
Yeah. Venus is a comet from Jupiter and randomly careened all over the Solar System a few thousand years ago. Got it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join