It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the list of reasons NASA and JPL would choose to NOT disclose life on Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Xcathdra

The brookings report from the 60's asked these questions and concluded the existence of alien life / artifacts should be withheld.
Are you sure that's what the conclusion was?
ntrs.nasa.gov...

Yup - read page 242 for implications of extraterrestrial life.

Also if you use ctrl-f and type in extraterrestrial you will find throughout the report that the conclusions are studying and trying to determine what impact the existence of ET will have on the social / cultural / religious facets of our society on earth.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Then let me simplify it for you.

They (NASA) know better.
edit on Rpm71418v54201800000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I've read it.
I can't find this conclusion. Anywhere in it.

The brookings report from the 60's asked these questions and concluded the existence of alien life / artifacts should be withheld.

Can you provide a quote?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Any reason that has anything to do with national security, would not be "tenable" from a practical standpoint.

To everybody else:

This thread appears to have struck a nerve, and I wasn't trying to make an US vs THEM thread.

In genuine interest, I want a comprehensive list of all potential reasons.

Given that I believe there is current macro scale life on Mars, or at the very least, fossil evidence of such, I want this list.

This would be because, by my own personal belief, something on that particular list, would have to be the truth.

I want to know all the options.

I don't care about converting any of you to my opinion.

According to mass consensus, I am wrong. I don't want to force a wrong opinion on anyone.

I just want this list.

I'm crazy/stupid enough to believe this notion of life on Mars, I don't really care if anyone believes that with me.
What do you think this is? A religion?

Believe whatever you want, participants of this thread.

By all accounts it is beyond impossible for known terrestrial life to thrive in the Martian environment.
I would like to believe that involved organizations would always be 100% transparent and disclose all findings.
So, it's far more likely that I am a singular quack, chasing a wild goose.

Mars is dead and will remain so.

I acknowledge that.

At the same time, my own beliefs are my own.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I've read it.
I can't find this conclusion. Anywhere in it.

Then you didnt read it.

Continuing studies to determine emotional and intellectual understanding and attitudes -- and successive alterations
of them if any -- regarding the possibility and consequences of discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life.- 36/*2 .

. . Historical and empirical studies of the behavior of peoples 1 and their leaders when confronted with dramatic and
unfamiliar events or social pressures.x/ provide programs for meeting and adjusting to the implications of such a
discovery. studies would include: How might such information,under what circumstances,he presented to or withheld from
the public for what ends? What might be the role of the discovering scientists and other decision makers regarding release
of the fact of discovery?

The primary conclusion on ET life in the report is the concern on how such information would impact society. They are erroring on the side of performing studies to try and determine how society would react and what impact the info would have.

In each conclusion disclosure is not the first choice unless they know how people will react. Since you cant answer that question until it occurs withholding the info is the conclusion.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

The primary conclusion on ET life in the report is the concern on how such information would impact society.
Yes.

In each conclusion disclosure is not the first choice unless they know how people will react. Since you cant answer that question until it occurs withholding the info is the conclusion.
The paper does not say that. The paper provides no conclusions regarding disclosure of such evidence. But you did.
edit on 7/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
blegh

just admit it guys we are not on Mars

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I know pictures are some of the worse evidence, when it comes proving the "materiality" , if you will, of any recorded object.

So, of all of the weird and wonderful pictures that have come from ALL Mars missions, there is one that truly requires a plausible explanation: The Crab Creature.

I am not even going to post it's picture here, because it is so well known and is available on so many websites, in many resolutions and some iterations that may have taken too much creative license, however... Perhaps better to start with things that it is not.

Anyone else feel that way about this object?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think if they found bacteria on mars, it would be difficult to determine if it was seeded from the earth or the other way around. Life could have originated on mars and transferred to earth from a meteor striking mars and kicking up a bunch of debris that eventually landed on earth. Mars cooled off faster than the earth when the solar system was forming.

Back in the 80's there was a martian meteorite discovered that appeared to have fossilized microbes. They concluded that the size of these microbes would have been to small to have held dna. There have been microbes that were smaller than that have since been found to have the ability to hold dna. Mars and earth have been swapping meteorites for billions of years, especially early on. There is a 100% chance that at least dead bacteria from earth has landed on mars. Most likely live bacteria has made it, whether or not it could survive is not clear.

A chunk of ice from earth with bacteria in it that is big enough to not totally break up before impact has undoubtedly landed in the ocean on mars billions of years ago. Nasa has done experiments putting micro organism outside the space station. They go into a dormant stage and then come back to life after being reintroduced to their normal environment. The cross seeding between earth and mars isn't far fetched. I think if it could be proven that life originated on mars and seeded the earth, it would upset a lot of people.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
blegh

just admit it guys we are not on Mars

I'm not. You aren't.
But there are two active machines there. And a couple of orbiters.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: xenon129

Back in the 80's there was a martian meteorite discovered that appeared to have fossilized microbes.

That was Allan Hills 84001.

The controversy continues to this day and will probably not be resolved until life is proven by other means on Mars.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Yeah.
Just because something looks like it might be something, it doesn't mean it is.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yeah.
Just because something looks like it might be something, it doesn't mean it is.

That is sometimes a paradox, because the convincing visual evidence is very hard to dismiss.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I seen a mermaid on Mars!

When it comes to microscopic evidence of life, it takes more than "looks like."

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, they probed those "segmented bacteria" and the results are the controversy.
Goes very deep in bioscience, for sure.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist