It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BlackFly – the newest flying car

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
You still have to freakin' park it somewhere.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I'd like to see someone reverse park that thing 100 feet above ground.

Some ideas should remain ideas. Navigating two dimensional traffic is hard enough let alone throwing another dimension into the works, imagine getting into a fender bender ten stories up.

Sure it looked good in The Fifth Element but in reality it would be a logistical nightmare.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Oh, and the noise! I notice they play some nice, soothing ambient music over the promo rather than the sound of 60 buzzsaws next door.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You can bet your nuts you will need a pilots licence for that in the UK.
You need one here if you jump higher that 3 feet off the ground.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well, that is pretty much the coolest thing I have seen in some time!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
20 to 30 minute flight time, low speed, unable to carry more than 250 pounds, seems to be impractical for any other use but as an expensive toy.

So? Version 2 goes two hours. Version 4 goes ten. Bigger motors, more payload. Better landing gear. What you see in this demo is assuredly NOT the final product. This is proof of concept. In order to see the potential you have to get beyond what you see today. That's the difference between visionaries and people who won't cross the river because it's too dangerous. None of the objections to this so far are the least bit substantive.
edit on 7/13/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: eManym
20 to 30 minute flight time, low speed, unable to carry more than 250 pounds, seems to be impractical for any other use but as an expensive toy.

So? Version 2 goes two hours. Version 4 goes ten. Bigger motors, more payload. Better landing gear. What you see in this demo is assuredly NOT the final product. This is proof of concept. In order to see the potential you have to get beyond what you see today. That's the difference between visionaries and people who won't cross the river because it's too dangerous.

Absolutely, plus the cool factor is off the chart.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

How many hours of maintenance per hour of flight will be required? How much will that cost?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

How many hours of maintenance per hour of flight will be required? How much will that cost?

Clearly I'm not the OP but really, does it matter? Stop being a Luddite and embrace the possibilities.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I am explaining why there are no possibilities. It has nothing to do with being a Luddite. No one could possibly afford the maintenance.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Jonjonj

I am explaining why there are no possibilities. It has nothing to do with being a Luddite. No one could possibly afford the maintenance.

Not yet maybe, but we already have sensors for cars, so just that issue is resolved. Think about communal airports with sat-nav and auto- pilot...the only real issue is battery...and that is progressing nicely.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

There's no reason to suppose it would be more than a car. In any case, is the fact that we don't know sufficient reason to reject the idea?

Nobody could possibly afford it

How could you possibly know that?
edit on 7/13/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

Most modern cars have sensors already so all it needs is an onboard computer to automatically change direction and collisions can easily be avoided. What’s more concerning is if something fails in one of these flying cars, they would need a reserve parachute or some way of landing safely.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Well the best estimate would be other flying vehicles, such as planes or helicopters. How much is their maintenance? How many hours for every hour of flight?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Cars fail all the time. Imagine if that flat tire was falling from the sky into a house.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Well the best estimate would be other flying vehicles, such as planes or helicopters. How much is their maintenance? How many hours for every hour of flight?

OK. How about a Cessna 150? WELL within the resources of your average person.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

And costs about $20k for 100 hours of operation. That's not the entire cost either. How many people do you know that are average people who can afford that? I can't.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
OK. How about a Cessna 150? WELL within the resources of your average person.

I imagine if they ever get approved for actual flight and put into production, the first people to buy them would be the Tesla crowd; people with a lot of disposable income who like to show off their expensive toys. Maybe average slobs like you and me could get one someday, but it's hard to say.

It would be fun to see them flying around, though. I wouldn't want to stand underneath one for very long.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Where would they park it?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

And costs about $20k for 100 hours of operation. That's not the entire cost either. How many people do you know that are average people who can afford that? I can't.

Oh, please. That figure is completely inflated. You can buy a Cessna for less than $20K, less than the cost of a Honda Civic. An annual inspection should run you a little over $500. It should cost you about $40 an hour to run, depending on fuel costs. I'm a private pilot (ASEL) and can easily afford that. This new system is electric so fuel cost is likely to be far less. In any case, you have NO IDEA what maintenance will be, so to diss this aircraft based on your inflated expectations is a mistake. If you can't afford it, too bad. There are plenty of people who will be able to. You are not their market; they are.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join