It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Auf wiedersehen, they were poor

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Why sad?

Does any other nation ever shed any tears or express sadness when we lose and go out of tournaments?

ETA.

Personally I think its hilarious, my only regret is Argentina not joining them.

The German girl with tears running down her face smudging the German flag painted on her face; PRICELESS.

edit on 27/6/18 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Won't feel like the World Cup without worrying about when we will meet Germany then getting beaten on penalties when we do.
If Brazil go out tonight then this World Cup is so strange that we may just win it.

Southgate for PM !!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Germany out - wow.

My tip to win it is Argentina.
They've had their lucky escape.

Belgium also look very good.

I think England might make it to the quarters - if we had a better defence we'd be in with a shout to win it, but the number of mistakes and chances we've conceded against terrible teams in the first two games tells me we're going to get beaten easily by the better teams.
edit on 27/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Sweden wins! Mexico loses as does Germany!!!??!! What?!!

I can't believe Germany is out! There goes another favorite. I am almost not sure who to root for anymore! It was nice to see Poland and Iceland but they are gone to. Maybe, just because every time I support a team they fall, I will root for Espania now!! Hehehe.

The drama continues in Russia!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Freeborn

Won't feel like the World Cup without worrying about when we will meet Germany then getting beaten on penalties when we do.
If Brazil go out tonight then this World Cup is so strange that we may just win it.

Southgate for PM !!!!

Please no mate, if England get anywhere near the final, then as a Scot, the idea of having to hear about it until the end of time, is sickening. Naturally, I look forward to them being knocked out

edit on -180002018-06-27T11:45:50-05:000000005030201850062018Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:45:50 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

The only people that annoy me more than politicians are those with the 'anyone but England' mentality......but then again, it is sport and I guess I'd feel exactly the same in the highly unlikely event that Scotland were ever in a similar position!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

FIFA World Football Champions 2018 ..... Engerlaaaaand !!!

Dontcha think has a sweet ring to it , it's the Brexit effect !

We wouldn't rub it in mate.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

it's truly horrible

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Could you root for Brazil and France?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Wednesday June 27th Results

Group E: Brazil 2-0 Serbia

Paulinho opened the scoring for Brazil in the first half. The second half saw Serbia pile on the pressure searching for an equalizer. Brazil's lead looked shaky for a good 10-15 minutes. But the Serbians fluffed their chances ran out of energy and Thiago Silva settled Brazilian nerves with a free header from a corner kick. Brazil win the group and now face Mexico.

Group E : Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica

Switzerland could have topped the group if they'd have won this game. They scored first from a Blerim Dzemaili shot despite Costa Rica creating chances of their own. Kendal Waston levelled for Costa Rica with a header. The Swiss looked to have done it when Josip Drmic slotted his right foot shot home. But they gave Costa Rica a penalty in added on time. Bryan Ruiz hit the bar only for the ball to bounce off the back of unlucky Swiss keeper Yann Sommer's head into the net.

Group F : Germany 0-2 South Korea

Germany huffed and puffed and created a handful of clear chances.But in the end, with the clock running down and Sweden winning against Mexico, they decided to force the game with a victory required to progress. South Korea scored through Whon Kool Doode 2 minutes in to time added on. Then it was called offside. But by the miracle of VAR sprung durch technique the goal was allowed to stand as a German defender had touched the ball.

With two goals now required German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer pushed himself up into Germany's midfield without telling anyone else on the team, subsequently lost the ball trying a keepie uppie, and Sum Yung Guy was put clean through to seal victory for South Korea and qualification for Mexico.

Group D : Mexico 0-3 Sweden

Goals from Ludwig Augustinsson, Andreas Granqvist (another penalty) and an own Goal by Edson Álvarez eased Sweden into the second round. Do not under estimate the Scandinavians. Mexico who needed a draw to definitely qualify looked rather underwhelming in this game. The South Koreans got them out of jail in the end. Mexico's reward is a knockout game with Brazil.

---------------

Summary

It's certainly an unpredictable World Cup. Who would have thought Germany would have continued they're patchy form into the World Cup itself?

Credit to Peru and Morocco for having a go and being unlucky not to progress.

The second round so far looks like this

Saturday 30th June
------------------
France v Argentina
Portugal v Uruguay

Sunday 1st July
------------------
Russia v Spain
Croatia v Denmark

Monday 2nd July
------------------
Brazil v Mexico

Tomorrow there are four more fixtures featuring the last four group games of the tournament.

Group G

England v Belgium
Panama v Tunisia

Group H

Japan v Poland
Senegal v Colombia

edit on 27/6/2018 by mirageman because: made some stuff up for fun

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Saturday 30th June
------------------
France v Argentina
Portugal v Uruguay

Sunday 1st July
------------------
Russia v Spain
Croatia v Denmark

Monday 2nd July
------------------
Brazil v Mexico

Very hard to call

France haven't clicked /Argentina are a bit shaky
4-1
Portugal rely on individual exploits/Uragauy are more collective
1-2 (or 3 if Ronaldo sent off)

Russia/Spain : 2-4
minimum service by the spanish, they scraaape through

Croatia/denma .. 6-0

Bresil should take Mexico apart
2-0, 2-1...2-4

It's been good so far

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Too add

I do think though that the Croates could actually have snicked it
if they'd put away an early one on about the 17th, or thereabouts
really early on, at anyate ...

Brazil would've have to stop and re-appraise
at 1-0, Brazil goes home
all out Attack or get the bus as out ?

Moot ...

The Croates were obviously clicking
but were too green, a bit naive
lacked 'the touch',
the kill shot
They couldd'a/shouldda had 3 !!

Who is the most acurate shooter, any stats ...?
The Brazillian defense doesn't want to be confonted by him

Modric,to name just one !

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Watching the Germans cry on the BBC......lol

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
There was a German politician on the BEEB this morning saying that the failure of German football will lead to more right wing extremism in Germany. Still trying to work that one out, but I am reminded of something someone said and I'll misquote... "German culture means that when times get hard they start to become more Nazi".

I don't follow football, but would like to see England do well. It's the first time I can remember that the England team has not been over-hyped, so perhaps it's time for them to exceed expectations. That'll be a shot in the arm...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Had £50 on Switzerland to beat Costa Rica and both teams to score at 3/1.
Should know better!

No bet tonight, think England v Belgium might be a bore draw.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Oh dear, England were utterly useless.
I am revising my view on us getting to the quarter finals. No chance. Columbia will score a hatful against us in the next round.
I think Belgium and Brazil are on course to meet in the quarters - what a game that will be...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

England B team lost to a great goal , coming second in the group gives us the easier route to the final.
Result.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: UKTruth

England B team lost to a great goal , coming second in the group gives us the easier route to the final.
Result.

Result? We lost and it certainly wasn't on purpose. The team today was dreadful, including our #1 goalkeeper.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thursday June 28th Results

Group G: England Reserves 0-1 Belgium Reserves

A game that was not played at full intensity with both teams comfortably into the next round and fielding much changed team selections. Adnan Januzaj scored a sublime winner with a curled shot into the top corner. England's Marcus Rashford had the clearest chance when put clean through in the second half and also came close with a free-kick. Both teams however live to fight another day.

Group G : Panama 1-2 Tunisia

Panama's pub side actually opened the scoring. But Tunisia at least go home with a win after goals from Ben Yousseg and Oussama Bin Lardarse.

Group H : Japan 0-1 Poland

Poland finally won a game with Jan Bednarek's goal from a free kick but still depart from Russia. However with news filtering through that Colombia were leading Senegal by 1-0 Japanese coach Ryuichi Sakamoto ordered his team to play out the game and avoid any further disciplinary offences. A bizarre last 15 minutes resulted where most of the players were virtually statues on the pitch. For the first time in World Cup history, with Senegal and Japan level on points, goal difference and goals scored, a team qualified for the knockout phase via their number of yellow cards.
Japan will now meet Belgium.

Group H : Senegal 0-1 Colombia

Danslyke Shakira's Colombian side ended Africa's last hope in this competition. Colombia needing a victory scored with 15 minutes left. Yerry Mina's shot struck high into the net. Senegal mounted a spirited fight back. But it was not to be. Colombia meet England. Senegal go home.

---------------

Summary

Japan's gamble that Senegal would not score with against Colombia turned the final quarter of their match into a farce. Poland were as guilty in my opinion. With no one really wanting to do more than pass the ball around aimlessly it made a farce of the World Cup.

The second round now shapes up as follows

Saturday 30th June
------------------
France v Argentina
Portugal v Uruguay

Sunday 1st July
------------------
Russia v Spain
Croatia v Denmark

Monday 2nd July
------------------
Brazil v Mexico