It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

My observations were that Southgate was playing the percentages with this game. Even if Belgium's 2nd team were better than England's. There was no real incentive to go for it and bust a gut. The objective was to avoid yellow cards and injuries. We'd have happily taken 1st place but 2nd place leads to a path clear of Brazil if we make it past Colombia.

It may or may not turn out to be a good result. But we football fans tend to make knee-jerk reactions in the moment and judge everything by the performance in our club/country's last match. The real test is Colombia now.

England, Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be world cup semi finalists in 2018.

edit on 28/6/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Because I’m up and working by 5:00 AM EDT — this time of the year — and done for the first half of the day by 10AM (back out by about 3:00 PM), I’ve caught a great deal of the group stage games. I napped through England’s 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 games, but caught Belgium their first game...that said, it’s either Belgium 🇧🇪 or Brazil as your winner, or Uruguay...my two American cents. It’s (WC) been more entertaining than I’d ever thought I would have found it.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Couldn't understand Southgate's selection.

England's defence has looked poor at times and inexperienced in both the system they were playing and playing with each other. As such it makes so much sense to give them as much playing time together as possible to help build up an understanding with each other and gain experience playing the system.
I understand resting some key midfielders / forwards and giving squad players a run out, but the defence should have remained unchanged.

In addition I think that its important to try and build a 'winning' mentality.

Its true England are now in the 'easier' half of the draw, but no teams in the last 16 are poor and every nation will be stronger than the two weak teams we beat and the relatively tame Belgium reserves.

For all its been quite an enjoyable tournament so far I still don't think there's any really good teams in it.....as such I think it's the best opportunity I've known for a surprise winner to emerge.....but I doubt it.

Seemed like every young dickhead in the town was out last night, had to have a 'quiet little word in the ear' of a few and I hope one particular bellend will have learned a little bit of respect and that not all of us 'auld 'un's' are past it!

No football today for me to lose money on so I think my donation to The Bookmakers Benevolent Fund today will be £20 each way on Orvar in the 19.30 at Newcastle.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

England had already qualified , if they'd have won the game they would likely have had to face Argentina and Brazil in the next rounds , as it is the route to the final is easier , I'd say that's a result.

Granted the keeper isn't the best but he did make some good saves last night , the team weren't dreadful.
edit on 29-6-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

My observations were that Southgate was playing the percentages with this game. Even if Belgium's 2nd team were better than England's. There was no real incentive to go for it and bust a gut. The objective was to avoid yellow cards and injuries. We'd have happily taken 1st place but 2nd place leads to a path clear of Brazil if we make it past Colombia.

It may or may not turn out to be a good result. But we football fans tend to make knee-jerk reactions in the moment and judge everything by the performance in our club/country's last match. The real test is Colombia now.

England, Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be world cup semi finalists in 2018.

Sweden look the best of that quartet, Columbia and England pretty even, Switzerland the long shot.
The Columbia England game could go either way - clash of styles.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Fortunately I get a night off from doing a round-up tonight and having to make up goalscorers names because I can't be bothered checking them

One thing that should be expected is that once the group games are over this is where the tournament really kicks off and the unexpected tends to happen. Who thought Portugal would have won the Euros two years go after the group stages or that Wales would make the semi-finals? With no single outstanding team then we could well be surprised.

As for England. Well it's not an easy task ahead. But if you look at who eventually knocked us out of World Cups in the tournaments since we actually won the thing it's an interesting collection of former World Cup Winners and Portugal.

Germany 1970,1990, 2010
Spain (indirectly) 1982
Argentina 1986, 1998
Brazil 2002
Portugal 2006
Uruguay 2014

I think in some cases we've been unlucky others simply not good enough. But I also think it eventually created an inferiority complex in the players minds when we came up against nations perceived to be better than England. The path ahead does not present any such problem until the semi-finals.

So although nothing is guaranteed at the moment I do hope Gareth's gamble pays off. But let's take it one game at a time and not slate the manager and the team if they fail at the first hurdle.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wow !
France slapping Argentina , 4-2 with 20 minutes to go.
Great game.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Running at the D is paying off!!

Mbop(pe).,..

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Final whistle , France 4 Argentina 3.
That's how a knock out game should be played.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Man, ran out of beer and they don’t open for two hours! D’oh!

So I guess I will head to the pub to watch the second game. Just half because the Thunderbirds are in town and that is always fun to see jets screaming around a few hundred feet off the ground!

Yes, great game!! Except the last two minutes. Argentina did not have an answer for the speed. Paul Pogba and Mbappe looked impressive. And the volley from the full back was a thing of beauty!!

Here’s to the second game today!

(In case I don’t make it back in time! This has been a great World Cup! Piva!)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Fully ensconced at the bar! A Jameson coffee and a beer later, it 1 - nil at the half. Beer.... *drool*

As it stands, Portugal and The Man seem not very inventive. Besides flopping. France seems the better over both sides.

And the Thunderbirds fly last so can see through the half! And restock the fridge with salad and beer! Not bad for a lazy Saturday morning!!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Plus I already showered!

Woot!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What a counter attack!!!

Portugal down one with 25 left!!

YAY!! Good drama!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Finally, the whistle blows!

Germany, Messi, Iceland, and now Ranaldo out!!

Oh the drama!

Another great game!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Portugal are out , Uruguay 2-1 Portugal , Hannibal Lecter and the boys go through.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Ok. It bounced first...

... still good stuff!

Looked awkward as all get out (falling backwards, right foot driving the ball, the D moving all in same direction only to have to switch back) and the flight of the ball... WOW!!

If France plays that way again then Uraguay doesn’t stand a chance. Which is a shame because they played an awesome game!!

Very entertaining day!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hannibal, Tarzan and the boys.

What an awesome first knockout day. Hope this keeps up tomorrow.

I got a feeling Spain is going to make it rain on Russia so hard.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Thanks for hanging with me!!

According to Quartz, I am the only American caring about the World Cup! Now, ESPN is calling me a rich, white kid! LOL. Me, living paycheck to paycheck not smart enough to have beer on hand on day one of the knockout stage. Erm,... thanks, ESPN???

LOL!

Viva Espania!!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Saturday June 30th Results

2nd Round KO: Argentina 3-4

That Kylian Mbappe est magnifique.

This was the type of game that everyone enjoys except fans and players of the losing side. Mbappe was brought down in the area after cutting the Argentine defence apart. Antoine Griezman slotted home the penalty. Angel Di Maria gave Argentina hope when he curled a superb long range effort past Hugo Lloris.

In the second half Gabriel Mercado gave Argentina a 2-1 lead with a fortunate deflection. But France then took a grip on the game. Benjamin Pavard with another long range strike followed by two goals from Kylian Mbappe. Argentina scored a late goal via Sergio Aguero with time almost up. But it was not enough and France meet Uruguay next.

2nd Round KO : Portugal 1-2 Uruguay

Two sublime goals from Edson Cavani sent the European Champions home. One a well worked header from a Luis Suarez cross the other a carefully measured shot into the Portuguese goal from a flowing move.

In between Portugal's Pepe had equalized with a header. Uruguay looked rather weary and Cavani had to be substituted with 15 mins to go. However Portugal could not unlock the Uruguay defence and both Messi and now Ronaldo are out of the World Cup.

Games still to come

Sunday 1st July
------------------
Russia v Spain
Croatia v Denmark

Monday 2nd July
------------------
Brazil v Mexico
Belgium v Japan

Tuesday 3rd July
-----------------
Sweden v Switzerland
Colombia v England

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Final whistle , France 4 Argentina 3.
That's how a knock out game should be played.

It was one of the best games I've seen in a World Cup. I've thoroughly enjoyed 'most' of this World Cup. Never mind the Russians and their gangs and the threats of Novichok Ice. I guess the Russians told everyone that stepping out of line means hard labour in Siberia for a long time. Because the fans seem to have been all treated with respect and allowed to mix freely with the Russian people. The racist chanting that anyone who has watched Euro Champions League matches from Russia will have noticed is also under control. At least for the cameras. So maybe, and hopefully, this World Cup will be good for Russia in the long term.

I was very surprised at Germany going out. But I am not gloating either. The game always moves on. It is also perhaps the last time two of the best players ever, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, will have graced a World Cup Finals. I just hope the excitement continues in this unusually warm and sunny British summer.

edit on 30/6/2018 by mirageman because: ...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join