It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I know it was only Panama but 6-1 is still a great result , well done the lads , now the real tests begin.

Engerland !

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Tied at two!!

Makes the Poland v Colombia match that more interesting!

Love the group play!

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sunday June 23rd Results

Group G: England 6-1 Panama

A rather overtly physical Panamanian side were dispensed with before the first half had ended. Harry Kane scored a hat trick, John Stones scored a couple of headed goals, Jesse Lingard got the best goal of the game. Even Panama were allowed to join in the party with their first goal ever in a World Cup finals as England got sloppy in the second half defending their six-goal advantage.

Group H : Japan 2-2 Senegal

Senegal look to be Africa's best hope of going further in this competition. But they should really have capitalized on their lead from Sadio Mane. Instead they let Japan back into the game twice. However the draw puts both teams in a better position that either Poland or Colombia to make it through to the knockout rounds.

Group H : Colombia 3-0 Poland

Poland have the ignominy of being the first European team to be knocked out of the tournament with no points on the board after another defeat. Colombia blunted the Poles with strikes from Yerry Mina, Radamel Falcao and a cool finish by Juan Cuadrado. It leaves them needing to beat Senegal to be sure of making it into the next round.

---------------

Summary

England's win also secures qualification to the last 16 for neighbours Belgium. Much tougher tests lie ahead. But England can now remain calm before facing their first Hazard in Russia! (If Eden's selected of course).

Group H will go to the wire. With Senegal needing a point or better against Colombia. Japan can advance by beating or drawing with Poland.

---------------

Tomorrow there are four more fixtures featuring the final group games.

Group A

Saudi Arabia v Egypt
Uruguary v Russia

Group V

Iran v Portugal
Spain v Morrocco

edit on 24/6/2018 by mirageman because: video

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I know it was only Panama but 6-1 is still a great result , well done the lads , now the real tests begin.

Engerland !

I don't think anyone is getting carried away. But Gareth Southgate is proving, perhaps, that the decision to promote him from the U-21s gave him a totally different insight. He's brought in younger players. Eased out the cumbersome Rooney and Joe Hart. Now he's stamping his own mark. He even seems to have worked on set piece play.

The feelgood moment could end at any moment of course if we get knocked out with a dismal performamce. But at least the future looks a little brighter now no matter what. There is another generation waiting in the wings who have already won a World Cup and Euro at junior levels as well. If only they get a chance to play at the top level!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Anyone esle think Colombia are looking a bit tasty? As for us, obviously we are going to win the world cup now!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Yet more drama with Espania needing a late equalizer!

Are we now at simultaneous starts??

And still at least 4 teams to be decided (Irish wake got in the way! lol! Fun and tears!). May be 4 games for what I know! Kinda lost the thread...

It was nice to see Poland back (even though). Ah Iceland! At least you qualified!

Columbia is also showing heart!

This has been a dramatic two rounds which is all I live for at the start of a World Cup!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I like the idea of VAR in football especially in games of huge importance...

I need to correct myself slightly on the above. After the Portugal vs Iran game I realised, while VAR could be a good thing if used right, it also could turn the game into an unnecessary drama putting an already crappy ref even more in the center of attention which should never be the case.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

edit on 26-6-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Inui goal fantastic!!

Wague in his 1st international

I was on the edge of my seat

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Better late than later!

Monday June 24th Results

Group A: Saudi Arabia 2-1 Egypt

Egypt's campaign ended pointless despite a clever lob by Mo Salah to open the scoring for Egypt.Saudi Arabia saw a Al Muwallad penalty saved and a second penalty scored by Al Faraj. Just as the game seemed to be heading to end tied at 1-1 Al Dawsari fired in the winner for Saudi Arabia. Both teams now return home.

Group A : Uruguay 3-0 Russia

Russia were easily beaten by Uruguay. Luis Suarez scored from a free-kick after 10 mins. A deflected goal off Cheryshev only added to Russia's woes. Igor Smlonikov received a second caution and was dismissed after 35 mins. Uruguay then seemed content to see out the game. Edson Cavani scored late to rub salt into Russian wounds.

Group B : Iran 1-1 Portugal

A game of too much VAR and fraught tempers. Ronaldo missed a chance from the penalty spot. He was also yellow carded after the referee took an age to consult VAR. Ricardo Quaresma scored a glorious goal with a dipping shot from the right hand side on the edge of the penalty area. But a late Iranian penalty levelled the scores. A shaken Portugal side just about hung on to finish second in the group. Their reward now is a knockout game against Uruguay rather than Russia.

Group B : Morocco 2-2 Spain

With nothing to play for this Morocco side gave the Spaniards a real scare. Ramos and Iniesta conspired to allow Khalid Boutai a run on goal. He didn't disappoint and Morocco took a shock lead. Isco pulled one back for the Spaniards.

But the Moroccans kept niggling away at Spain's nervy defence. Then came the real drama.Youssef En-Nesyri looked to have won the game for Morocco with a strong header from a corner kick. Then Iago Aspas touched in a cross to level for Spain. But only after VAR revised the original decision that Aspas was offside. Spain breathed a sigh of relief.

---------------

Summary

Russia were blown away before they were down to 10 men. Which suggest their blistering start was no a sign of things to come. They will now face a tough game against Spain. Although Spain appear to have their problems. Portugal will face a tough Uruguay side who are yet to concede a goal. Although Uruguay have hardly been tested so far.

VAR is still providing controversy in this competition too!

---------------

Today there are four more fixtures featuring the final group games.

Group C

Australia v Peru
Denmark v France

Group D

Iceland v Croatia
Argentia v Nigeria

edit on 26/6/2018 by mirageman because: tidy up

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Tuesday June 24th Results

Group C: Australia 0-2 Peru

In what turned out to be a dead rubber the Peruvian team finally won a World Cup finals match after 40 long years with goals from Andre Carrillo and Paolo Guerrero. Australia sadly bowed out with a single point and Tim Cahill was unable to score in his fourth World Cup.

Group C : Denmark 0-0 France

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Nothing happened in this game and Denmark and France both progress to the next round.

Group D : Iceland 1-2 Croatia

Croatia maintained their 100% record with goals from Milan Badelj and Ivan Perisic in a much changed team. Either side of those goals Dejan Lovren conceded a penalty that allowed Iceland's Gylfi Sigurdsson to score from the penalty spot.

Group D : Nigeria 1-2 Argentina

Argentina were spared an early exit with a Lionel Messi strike of quality in the first half. However Javier Mascherano was judged to have fouled Leon Balogun in the penalty area. A Victor Moses penalty drew Nigeria level. Nigeria wasted chances and also had a call for a penalty refused. Then a Gabriel Mercado cross from the right was met by a Marcus Rojo right foot shot. 2-1 Argentina with 4 minutes left on the clock.

This was no vintage win but Argentina live to fight another day. Nigeria are catching the next flight home.

---------------

Summary

The knock-out rounds are beginning to take shape with the following ties confirmed.

Saturday 30th June
------------------
France v Argentina
Portugal v Uruguay

Sunday 1st July
------------------
Russia v Spain
Croatia v Denmark

---------------

Tomorrow there are four more fixtures featuring the final group games.

Group E

Serbia v Brazil
Switzerland v Costa Rica

Group F

South Korea v Germany
Mexico v Sweden

edit on 26/6/2018 by mirageman because: ..

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The nightmare scenario remains possible.....both Germany and Argentina scrape through.

What price they meet each other in the Final.

I can't imagine a worse prospect.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The games have been really good so far... late drama.
I think the VAR has actually added some drama.

Todays matches are on a knife edge - Germany to go through?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It would be a poor final agreed

Tournament on the whole though has been good though, I like VAR but it still doesn't eliminate crazy ref decisions. Diving still irks me, there is nothing worse than a striker with a chance who chooses to throw themselves to the floor instead of taking the opportunity to score

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Even though I've enjoyed the tournament so far I've got to say that there are no outstanding teams - even the best appear rather mediocre when comparing with teams from past tournaments.

Germany v Argentina would be wrong on so many levels.

I agree with the introduction of technology to assist refereeing and minimising the risk of incorrect decisions.
But VAR should have been extensively trialled well before The World Cup. At present it is very much a work in progress.

I remember when video technology was first introduced into cricket. There was much confusion and it took a few years to iron out most of the faults.
Today it is very fast, very reliable and viewed as an integral tool for the umpiring team to ensure correct decisions are made.....we are a long way off from such a scenario in football.
The World Cup should not be a testing ground for anything.

My outside tip; Uruguay.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I think Croatia have been very good - there midfield could well win them the tournament. That said, they have issues if anything happens to Mandzukic up front (no one else really).

And, although going home already, i actually think Morocco have been one of the most impressive teams i have seen. They have got to be just about the most unlucky team in World Cup history!

We look great going forward and rubbish defensively (same as Belgium) so should be a good game.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

That said, they have issues if anything happens to Mandzukic up front (no one else really).

Only mentally, Mandzukic is their 1 forward they run with at the moment.

They could simply change the line up and have 2 or 3 up front.

Modric has been playing much more forward than usual and he seems to like it.

Rakitic, Perisic and Rebic even though he pisses me off at times all have the ability to score given the slightest chance.

Their back line is fairly strong but like any team as seen in the Argentina vs Croatia game, sometimes the defense just shuts down, both teams in that match had really bad break downs of defense where it was lucky Croatia didn't concede and bad luck for Argentina who had just a little more breaks or simple mistakes in defense or clearing the ball that allowed Croatia to score.

The talent is there even without Mandzukic.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

My outside tip; Uruguay.

It would nice for 1 reason.

There is a old Uruguayan man, over a 100 years old who has seen both of their world cup victories, the first being the first World cup in 1930.

It would nice for the old fella to see his country successful on the world stage for a 3rd time in his long life.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
South Korea 1 Germany 0
Germany are out of the World Cup at the group stage ..... Shocked !

Only a couple of minutes of extra time left I don't believe this German side can turn the tables this time.

Kinda sad really.

Second goal for South Korea ... 2-0
Doubly shocked.
edit on 27-6-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I think Croatia have been quite good, but there's four more games to go, no-one can afford a poor performance now.
And they may just lack the quality and consistency required....but it'd be great for world football if a country like Croatia did win it.

I don't think England have the ability and creativity to break down the defences of some of the better teams and Southgate will revert to his default setting and go defensive in the knock-out stages.
And I think some people have been getting carried away a bit by our performances against what can best be described as moderate teams.

I hope I'm wrong and I'll be over the moon if I have to eat humble pie....but I've seen far too many false dawns. Followed England all over Europe in years gone by, but I think I'm being realistic in saying that we'll get knocked out in the quarter finals......I so, so hope I'm wrong.

a reply to: InhaleExhale

That would be amazing.....I'll settle for seeing it just once!

Germany going home!!!!!
If only Argentina were joining them!

My beer will taste good tonight

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join