It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy my first handgun and could use some advice

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprimevoyager
Also. Price is arguable. I had my 19 on lay away for 3 months just because I felt bad about dropping 550 on a gun.

Hey you! Listen and listen good!

Never feel bad about dropping $$$ on a gun.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I'm sure there are lots of ideas given to you here, but I'll give you my opinion after doing it wrong.
First handgun was a H&K .45acp USP. It's an amazing weapon, but not a beginners gun by a long shot.

I have a Ruger SR22 that goes everywhere with me on the farm. It's such a versatile gun. Cheap to shoot, so you don't feel bad plinking. You can get super comfortable with it, and the idea of a handgun. It has a great safety system. Just all around fantastic weapon. And a .22lr can kill just as dead as a .45acp, though the hole smaller upon entry.

Good luck with your first purchase, and please, whatever it is, become SUPER familiar with it, so you will never have to second guess yourself with it. It's the key to gun safety.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

First handgun was a H&K .45acp USP. It's an amazing weapon, but not a beginners gun by a long shot.

That is the second handgun I have always wanted.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: network dude

That is the second handgun I have always wanted. [/quote

It's worth every penny. an amazing weapon.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
My advice would be to talk to a professional at a gun store about your needs, rather than random people you meet online.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It depends on many factors but here is one not many people consider
If you buy a handgun how confident are you about taking it apart and cleaning it and putting it back together and it working like it supposed to I don't how many times I have heard people fuss because they pulled out their fancy automatic and it jammed on them they usually turned out to be caused by lack of basic maintenance. My recommendation is try automatic at gun range and ask it you can see how they clean it and ask guys running it which guns are the easiest to clean. Also revolvers are fun to use easier to clean.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Yes, Field stripping a semi-auto pistol should be something every semi-auto owner knows how to do...blindfolded.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I prefer Sig. P220 series. 45 ACP. Trijicon glow in the dark night sights. Never jams, little recoil, extended clip can hold up to 10 shots. Quite accurate.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Go to a gun shop, ask a bunch of questions, most guys are very willing to help, rent as many types of handguns you can to find out what you like.

As for a striker pistol I think The H&k vp9 series is very comfortable.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Glock 19.

The only answer.
You big? Concealable.
You small? Concealable.
Don't like massive recoil. Great.
Like something that isn't heavy as hell. Great.
Manageable and reliable as hell.
I've dropped mine in the snow and it fired with a barrel full of snow(don't try it. Lol)

The price point is fantastic and you cannot go wrong with the Gen4s and 5s. Interchangeable backstraps for all hand sizes.

I run a Gen3 personally but I would trust my life with it. 110%.

Great points - great post - thank you!

The store that has the berretta also has a Glock 19. Heading down there now to hold/handle both and make my buying decision.

- Glock 19

- Berretta

If anyone cares, I'll post what I purchased when I get back from the store a little later.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge & opinions.

I *love* ATS!

edit on 6/4/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Here's the listing for the Glock 19.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - Tobey's Pawn shop listing

They have to take it down now as I just bought it along with 1000 rounds of ammo

I'm posting from my phone.

Taking it to the range tomorrow to "make it mine".

Thanks again for everyone's help.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Good first hand gun !!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Buy a m-1911 .45 hella fun and great stopping power, disadvantage is a smaller clip than others tho.....

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm sure it's already been covered and nobody reads this far back but...
Do you plan on concealng? I tried with my Springfield XDM 40 CAL double stack mag....forgetaboutit! I went out later and bought a Springfield Xds 9mm single stack....MUCH BETTER!
If it's for protection, a gun will scare anyone off, but stopping power...insolvent go less than 40. They say 10mm is becoming a new thing...maybe look into it. I hate hammer pulls, some love them. Nothing like racking a slide!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If you like to make it interesting, have access to a range, and have good gun safety, load a mag, put it in your pocket.

Lay an assembled 1911 on the 15yd line, slide locked back. Walk to the 50yd line. Full sprint to the 15, disassemble the 1911 as fast as you can, laying the parts out. Sprint back to the 50, then back to the 15. Reassemble the 1911 as fast as you can, pull the loaded mag out of your pocket, charge the weapon and fire center mass. Repeat as needed.

Teaches you a lot about your shooting performance under stress.

It's nice living in the boonies with a safe shooting backstop and no neighbors behind the property for over a mile.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Hr2burn

Guns aren't for "scaring people off", you should only pull one if you intend to use it. If the action of doing so scares the threat off, and no shooting is required, great!

Pulling a weapon escalates an encounter to a whole new level. Don't do it unless it is the absolute last resort. There are those who are not scared of a gun.

Modern 9mm ammo is just as effective as .40, and both can be lethal.

Modern double action revolvers don't require a hammer pull. I can crank 6 rounds off with my GP100 as fast as I can 6 rounds with a Glock.

I can conceal a G27 ( Glock 40 double stack ) just fine, and I'm 5'11", 225 with a bit of pudge at the waistline. Used to conceal a 9mm XDm ( same size as a .40 XDm ) just fine as well. A proper holster, belt, and clothing selection go a long way...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Glock 19.

The only answer.
You big? Concealable.
You small? Concealable.
Don't like massive recoil. Great.
Like something that isn't heavy as hell. Great.
Manageable and reliable as hell.
I've dropped mine in the snow and it fired with a barrel full of snow(don't try it. Lol)

The price point is fantastic and you cannot go wrong with the Gen4s and 5s. Interchangeable backstraps for all hand sizes.

I run a Gen3 personally but I would trust my life with it. 110%.

Great points - great post - thank you!

The store that has the berretta also has a Glock 19. Heading down there now to hold/handle both and make my buying decision.

- Glock 19

- Berretta

If anyone cares, I'll post what I purchased when I get back from the store a little later.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge & opinions.

I *love* ATS!

Just now seeing this... and hope to gosh you didn't buy the Berretta. Worst choice for the standard issue sidearm the army ever made. Get a little dirt in them... they'll malfunction.

There is a reason the Glock is so widely adapted in Law Enforcement, and a favorite amongst the "gun crowd" for a personal carry weapon. Drop it in a mud puddle, pull it out and it will fire. It'll eat damn near any kind of ammo you feed it.

Having only the trigger safety makes some uncomfortable. So long as you have good trigger habits and a good holster or conceal holster, it's fine.

The Glock 19 will also be relatively inexpensive to feed... compared to .45 ACP. Learn how to use it, and then load it with Hornady Critical Defense 9mm, or other comparable defensive ammo.

Happy Hunting!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Aha! Saw you went with the Glock 19! Booyah!

This won't be the last gun you own... but it will take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Good choice... it will serve you well.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Have you shot either of them before? Semi auto pistols tend to kick more and for myself am not as accurate as I am with a revolver. Just me. I own 9mm, .45 acp, .380, .32 and .22 as well as a .357 magnum. Of all of them I am most accurate with the .357 but shooting .38 special bullets. The other factor is cost to shoot. I do all my own loading so costs are dropped dramatically. I do not know how much you want to shoot but reloading is a must if you do it a lot. Good luck and have fun!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Great choice on the G19, glad you were able to navigate around all of the horrible advice in this thread.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join