It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy my first handgun and could use some advice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. I've been meaning to get one for a while and now with all the talk about potential gun control laws in the wake of the recent shootings, I figured I better get one while it's still possible to do it without a proctology examination.

I live in VA now by the way, which is a great state to buy a gun in. They do a quick & easy background check just to make sure you have no felony convictions, and you can usually buy it and be on your way in 20 minutes or less.

I'm interested in either a .45 or a 9mm. I've looked at various Glock's but they seem pretty pricey compared to some others. I've seen a few other makes/models but I don't know much about them.

Any opinions on lower cost 9mm or .45? Both feel comfortable in my hands...

Thanks in advance for your experienced opinions.

edit on 6/3/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
There can be no recommendations . It is all based on your preference and budget . Everyone has a different choice based on feel , price , etc.
Go to a trusted gun shop and consult with them. Some have in-house indoor firing ranges . Get the feel of some , then make your choice.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

1. Are you planning on carrying it with you? If so, how would you carry it?
2. What are you looking to spend?
3. What do you think you might be shooting with it? (Boar, mountain lion, human, bear?)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   

You're early, the US gun guys aren't online yet.

Looks like the Springfield and the Smith & Wesson 9mm are the most recommended starter handguns.

Still minimum $500 brand new, but an easy $100 less than Glocks. Kahr CM9 is budget and well-respected if you like a very small 9mm.

If I lived in the US, I'd probably go for the Springfield and aim to get the CCW permit. Apparently not in VA though, right?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
My advice is to find the hand gun you are most comfortable in handling .... The one that fits you the best ...In my opinion , It's like a glove ... You have to try them on to find the right fit . ... What works for someone may Not work for you.... I also suggest a laser pointer on it . ... Because...if I have to defend myself in the middle Of The night from a deep sleep , who know how accurate I will be ? Probably not ... Plus confusion and SHTf scenario won't give me Good aim to defend myself .... However a laser pointer will help in any bad scenario . ... Just my opinion . ... Otherwise I have no advice . ... Happy purchasing !

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes we are!
We are always online, scouring impact guns and arms list for the latest deals and watching whatever hickok45 is doing.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

..and frequently turning non-gun threads into pro-gun platforms.

Not you, but many do. It's like that Kevin Bacon meme where everything can be linked in a couple of steps.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

That too! Its really quite impressive, being able to fit all that into such a small amount of time.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

How much would a used Springfield cost in VA? Do hanguns lose much value when they've been well looked after?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

i would say the most important decider is if you plan to carry it or not. Try to find a store or friend you can trust for advice. If money is limited, you can find a good deal on a used gun but don't buy a cheap one to start with. They often have limitations that are easier to deal with if you are more experienced. Don't start with a gun you feel you need to modify. Handle it and get one that fits your hand. If you aren't planning to carry stay with a full sized model over an ultra compact one. It will be easier to shoot well.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Guns are an expensive investment, find something practical that feels right to you. Keep it close, keep it clean, and keep your powder dry.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Certain guns hold value pretty well. There some used springfield Xds for 389 that could get shippend to a dealer.
New they are looking a little over 400. 450 for kits.
www.impactguns.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
There can be no recommendations . It is all based on your preference and budget . Everyone has a different choice based on feel , price , etc.
Go to a trusted gun shop and consult with them. Some have in-house indoor firing ranges . Get the feel of some , then make your choice.

I became a walk-in customer at a shooting range facility... my son did too, but he went the Concealed Carry route because of his need...
one will gleen a lot of related handgun info with regular visits to a shooting range with a variety of firearms for shooting targets practice

I travel to the next town of Conway SC for the indoor shooting range that trys to lure customers with the 'machine Gun experience' @ $50...I never tried the full-Auto There, but I did fire the M-16 Army rifle (turned fully automatic) while in the service...once was enough for me

cheaper handguns ?.... that extra $100 is not 'extra' it is reassurance
edit on rd30152802385203042018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

If I had to recommend someone a first firearm I'd probably suggest the Smith and Wesson M&P or Baretta 92fs. Though the Baretta will be the best for a beginner it's highly reliable and acurate. You wont deal with jamming nearly as often and safety features are great for someone buying their first pistol. All around you'll enjoy taking it to the range. I carry the baretta or a walther ppk. The walther is just easy to conceal even with just short and shorts. The Baretta is great for winter when you wear jackets to help hide it.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
For concealed carry, i like my m&p shield. Its light, the short handle doesnt print so no one notices, has a thumb safety, and it is reliable. Also, you can find it on sale for around 350 whenever a gunstore has a sale.

www.impactguns.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

There are many choices to choose from and most if not all depend on the usages. If you are looking to carry for protection I would highly recommend getting a conceal carry permit. I understand the use of open carry but if you live in a decent sized city that would only make you a target in a unfortunate event.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Good value right there.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

How much would a used Springfield cost in VA? Do hanguns lose much value when they've been well looked after?

Most guns of any type will loose value when it changes from one family to another IE resale. If that same gun stays in the family and gets passed down with proper registration during the process most times the value will go up assuming the gun has been properly maintained.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
- Don't start with a .45. Start with a 9mm. I am a fan of .45acp, but with modern 9mm ammo, they'll both do the same thing. I teach people to shoot, and I always start them off with a .22, not a revolver or my Coonan loaded with hot .357Mag.

- 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and has much less felt recoil. This leads to more practice, and less bad shooting habits.

- If this is your only gun for a while, stick to the big 3. Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Springfield armory. I'm not a Glock fan, but they're reliable. I personally prefer S&W. I love my Shield 9mm, and it's my main carry gun.

- Learn the laws in your state regarding concealed carry and justified self-defense. Dedicate yourself to going and shooting at least once a month. Practice makes perfect.

- Keep your firearm secured when not being carried. You don't want to lose your investment, or worse, have someone else hurt themselves or others with your gun.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Go to a gun range where you can rent a gun (if you have them near you) and shoot everything you can afford to.

Then settle on the one that every time you pick it up your hand fits it perfectly, so in the event you really need it you don't have to think about it your hand goes right to where it needs to be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join