It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A $tar Wars $tory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

TBH, Princess Leia is every bit an empowered female character despite the slave outfit she wears in RotJ. She has TONS of plot relevancy and even kills off Jabba the Hutt, saving herself instead of needing to be saved by a male lead. Even in the first movie after being rescued she doesn't helplessly follow behind the male leads. One of her first actions after being rescued is to grab a blaster rifle and blow open an escape route for them out of the prison sector. Or how about her banter with Tarkin?

Also, Star Wars, even back in the 70's, was about social justice movements. The empire represents a fascist empire of white unity (represented by all white storm troopers, but even further in that the Empire actively persecutes non-humans and enslaves them) and the rebellion is supposed to represent fighting back against racist oppression and totalitarian rule.

I mean George Lucas is a product of the 70's. It shouldn't be surprising that Star Wars has elements of feminism and racial empowerment represented in them. Clearly today's SW movies are even more so, because trends have changed and progressivism has pushed the boundaries even further, but those elements existed even back then. If you are complaining about Social Justice ruining Star Wars then you have COMPLETELY mispegged the entire series.
edit on 29-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Empire of White Unity ... led by a single Black Man (Darth Vader).

Honestly, the Storm Trooper outfits were designed to be an impersonal robotic army. The costume designer turned to medieval knights.

And Darth Vader was a "dark lord riding on the wind" as per Lucas.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Also, Star Wars, even back in the 70's, was about social justice movements. The empire represents a fascist empire of white unity (represented by all white storm troopers, but even further in that the Empire actively persecutes non-humans and enslaves them) and the rebellion is supposed to represent fighting back against racist oppression and totalitarian rule.

I was with you up to there. Saying the first movie was about an empire of white unity is as dumb as the people who try to say the new ones are all SJW. People interjecting politics where none need to be.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Star Wars isn't about money!

When was it not about the money? George Lucas invented the modern film merchandising model.

I suppose it's possible that Empire Strikes Back being so good was just an accident.

When people working on the product care about the product, it shows.

When people care about their product making money and the fans can go to hell, that's a tweet from Kathleen Kennedy

edit on 29-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Oh it ain't sci-fi bro.

It's about space wizards.

No need to bring science into it at all. No need to talk about fuel and tracking and all that crap they brought into it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I suppose it's possible that Empire Strikes Back being so good was just an accident.

But they still merch'd the hell out of it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

But they still merch'd the hell out of it.

If you got it, flaunt it.

But don't trot it out like a cheap harlot covered in clown makeup and say we want to break 160 million opening weekend.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

But don't trot it out like a cheap harlot covered in clown makeup and say we want to break 160 million opening weekend.

I would think, being it's a business and all, that they'd want to take in as much as possible.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I would think, being it's a business and all, that they'd want to take in as much as possible.

Oh, so you agree they should try to put out quality products instead. Coooool!

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Oh, so you agree they should try to put out quality products instead. Coooool!

Of course, but the entire premise of the thread is that you don't find the films enjoyable because you think they are not quality, it's a purely subjective viewpoint.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Umm yeah, the arts are subjective. That's why people discuss why it sucks and why it doesn't suck. In this case some--I would even say a majority--of people are of the opinion that Disney Star Wars is sucking like a Hoover.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I can't say it's a majority as the ratings are well above 50%. IMDB is at 7.2 and even Rotten Tomatoes is at 70% so it seems fairly consistent.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Umm yeah, the arts are subjective. That's why people discuss why it sucks and why it doesn't suck. In this case some--I would even say a majority--of people are of the opinion that Disney Star Wars is sucking like a Hoover.

The movie sucked less like a Hoover and more like a Dyson.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I can't say it's a majority as the ratings are well above 50%. IMDB is at 7.2 and even Rotten Tomatoes is at 70% so it seems fairly consistent.

I said it was a majority. That's my subjective opinion

Not everyone casts their vote on websites. How many of those approvals are padded by critics bought and sold? Surely these megacorporations would never give the impression their movies are better than they actually are.

The money tells the story.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

That's not subjective, that's statistical.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That's not subjective, that's statistical.

I never used statistics. I formed an opinion.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

TBH, Princess Leia is every bit an empowered female character despite the slave outfit she wears in RotJ. She has TONS of plot relevancy and even kills off Jabba the Hutt, saving herself instead of needing to be saved by a male lead. Even in the first movie after being rescued she doesn't helplessly follow behind the male leads. One of her first actions after being rescued is to grab a blaster rifle and blow open an escape route for them out of the prison sector. Or how about her banter with Tarkin?

I mean George Lucas is a product of the 70's. It shouldn't be surprising that Star Wars has elements of feminism and racial empowerment represented in them. Clearly today's SW movies are even more so, because trends have changed and progressivism has pushed the boundaries even further, but those elements existed even back then. If you are complaining about Social Justice ruining Star Wars then you have COMPLETELY mispegged the entire series.

If there was SJW stuff it was subtle and well written, not blatant and in your face like lately. The key to star wars was not deep sustenance and moral questioning and ethical leacturing......it was a fun war in space made or entertainment everything else came second. Yes there was SOME political commentary but it was not the focus of the films.

Now the SJW nonsense is blatant and in your face. Take the Solo movie....L3 droid is literally and in your face SJW, the stupid droid would be more in place on some university campus in California.

I don't go to see star wars to be lectured on modern social politics. I go to be entertained with space battles and a simple, sometimes contrived and tacky story.

If you want in depth and blatant social lectures go see some sun dance arty farty movie. Starwars is not the platform for political soap boxing.

Its why I loved rogue one. It had a diverse and female lead cast but it kept the political soap boxing to a minimum and instead focused on a fun and interesting story.

edit on 30-5-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12

The movie sucked less like a Hoover and more like a Dyson.

I don't think solo sucked. It was some light hearted fun.

Now the last jedi? That sucked like a black hole.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I never used statistics.

I did when I gave you the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

You're so tiresome. Begone.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join