It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A $tar Wars $tory

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: DieGloke

Hell I dont even know what the message is

So you don't know what the message is behind the new movies just that you don't like it and thats it being preachy you just don't know what its being preachy about.

Yeah....

Again not making much sense here buddy.

OK lets put another way.

The message in the last Jedi seemed to more focused at ticking boxed for the critics, not pleasing the fans (that bring in the money).
The message seems to be "oooo look at us! We are so progressive and tick all the right social boxes! Give 5 stars!".

Then lets take Rogue on. It was focused on pleasing the fans. It had a diverse cast, more diverse than the last Jedi. It had a lead female, a Latino, A arabic guy, a Asian guy and a black guy(sort of). Two where implied to be possible gay ( well closet you ever had to a gay starwars couple). It never seemed like blatant box ticking though. Every Character in it had a purpose, there was no one in it to be "tokens". It was in my opinion well written and the characters flowed well.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I guess you missed all the warring going on in the Solo movie while your eyes were reddened with all that Social Justice that sends you into a blind rage, or do you think that Solo literally helping jump start the Rebellion's funding was Social Justice?

Me, I happen to like the characters on the screen have some extra depth than good or evil. Like Han's gf being dark side aligned but still doing the good thing in the end with letting him get away with the fuel.

Your overemphasizing my displeasure. L3 was nuance nothing more, I still liked solo.

Your projecting your political insecurity onto me now trying to make me the enemy. IE seeing I did not like L3 I must of hated the whole film and be a bigoted Alt Right supporter, which is not the case.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

My political insecurity? What are you babbling about? For one, this is the first time I've seen you single out L3 as the sole problem with the movie. Before this you kept going on about this being Star Wars not Star Social Justice. Also, I have not ONCE accused you of being bigoted or an alt right supporter. If anyone is projecting, it is you.

But since you want to be an ass about things, learn the difference between you're and your. And it's nuisance not nuance.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

My political insecurity? What are you babbling about? For one, this is the first time I've seen you single out L3 as the sole problem with the movie. Before this you kept going on about this being Star Wars not Star Social Justice. Also, I have not ONCE accused you of being bigoted or an alt right supporter. If anyone is projecting, it is you.

Sorry if I misinterpreted. Such a pattern seems to be norm on ATS, I have come to expect it.

But since you want to be an ass about things, learn the difference between you're and your. And it's nuisance not nuance.

Nobody likes a Grammar or Spelling Nazi.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke
Sorry if I misinterpreted. Such a pattern seems to be norm on ATS, I have come to expect it.

Alright, well just as long as we are clear on things.

Nobody likes a Grammar or Spelling Nazi.

I know. I did only it because you were being obnoxious to me. Though fyi, the nuance/nuisance error actually changed the meaning of your sentence.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Though fyi, the nuance/nuisance error actually changed the meaning of your sentence.

haha really don't wana get those mixed up.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

George Lucas saying the Emperor was based on Nixon is not the same as saying the Empire was an empire of white unity. That is your added spin based on your political view. Its hyperbole. Of course Star Wars is political. Its a story about an Empire experiencing a rebellion. That is a political conflict.

In my eyes its no different than the people whining about L3. A robot who wants to free other robots. That is all L3 was. Until people started viewing it through the lens of their modern politics. Then L3 becomes a feminist SJW preaching and screeching. Its all just people projecting onto a fictional space fantasy.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

George Lucas saying the Emperor was based on Nixon is not the same as saying the Empire was an empire of white unity. That is your added spin based on your political view. Its hyperbole. Of course Star Wars is political. Its a story about an Empire experiencing a rebellion. That is a political conflict.

I see you didn't read that post properly. I CLEARLY said and showed that I wasn't the only one to make that analogy.

In my eyes its no different than the people whining about L3. A robot who wants to free other robots. That is all L3 was. Until people started viewing it through the lens of their modern politics. Then L3 becomes a feminist SJW preaching and screeching. Its all just people projecting onto a fictional space fantasy.

We are in agreement there.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I read you post clearly. I just didn't care.

Its just more people from the current political climate looking back at Star Wars and projecting onto it. George Lucas's experiment in bringing 20's and 30's pulp style space opera to the (then) modern big screen was a success. Both in theaters and on the toy rack. It has grown and stayed popular through a long enough time, that it is now a well worn nostalgia sweater. So it has to mean something in a modern (now) context. But its a stretch to say, white storm troopers=empire of white unity, and adding a racial component to it. That is you fighting a modern day culture war, in a movie made in the 70's that was really just an homage to swashbuckling science fiction written in the pulp era.

I mean were mostly in agreement. I don't think Star Wars has changed at all. I think the people viewing Star Wars have changed. Star Wars has always been about oppressed people fighting their oppressors. Star Wars has always had strong female characters. Its just today, segments of the viewership, view those things negatively, because through the lens of their modern self, they see the same story beats and themes that were present in the original trilogy, differently, because of the same aforementioned culture war. The original trilogy is exempted and those same themes ignored because nostalgia is a powerful drug.

But instead of realizing that and moving on. Which is their right to do. No one should be forced to watch anything. People moan and cry. Wanting Star Wars to change to fit their current views and/or the opposite, projecting their current views onto a canvas that has already dried.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

You are right. We are in agreement on most parts here. I have nothing to add or detract from that.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The good:

I think the actors did a great job channeling the characters of Han and Lando. (I'd include Chewie, but c'mon, that's hardly difficult).

The visuals were great, the look and feel of it was good, and very Star Wars, and the movie had a lot of action in it.

We got to see the origin of him meeting Chewie, when he got the Falcon, etc.

The bad:

What the hell is with the SJW droid? That needed to be scrapped.

The plot itself was meh.... would have preferred seeing more smuggling history, etc. and some Boba Fett. I guess we'd get that more in the next one.

Overall though, I liked it. And I'll certainly go see it again.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

How did you feel about the second trilogy mirroring the Iraq war?

Coulda fooled me. I thought it mirrored a flaming garbage truck at top speed.

edit on 30-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I won’t watch garbage movies so I can’t twll you my exact opinion on “Solo”

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Star Wars happened in 1977. It’s over now. If you got to be a part of it, you were lucky. Today, it’s dead.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: knows_but_doesnt
Star Wars happened in 1977. It’s over now. If you got to be a part of it, you were lucky. Today, it’s dead.

Opinion not fact.

Star Wars is still very much alive in my view

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I knew ahead of time not to expect light sabers. Darth maul was once again huge talent wasted on only one scene. Tried too hard to ride on rouge ones success and failed.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I personally can't wait until the new Star Wars area is done at Disney World in Orlando. That's going to be amazing. Star Wars is very much alive and well. Even for all those poo-pooing the latest movie, it was STILL number ONE...and that's no mean feat, up against Deadpool 2, and the Infinity War juggernaut.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join